An ignorant question from an FTA Noob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
Ok... I do not pretend to understand exactly what I am doing with FTA (TG for blindscan)It is working though, which keeps me learning!

At the risk of really exposing my ignorance here goes:

Why don't the Pizza guys make their programing available to the FTA community, (Producing a smart card for the more popular sets?)

It would seem that they could pick off a lot of additional customers making it an option, instead of making an FTA user get another receiver to piggyback into an existing FTA setup? Unless I am missing something, (seems like a poor business decision) I get spamed on almost every VCII channel I am not subscribed to on the BUD/4DTV. No, I do not eat anchovie pizza!!!

THE SPAM IS REALLY OBNOXIOUS AND MISLEADING AS WELL!

Is it a frequency issue?...aside from the correct LNB required?

I do not need it since I have a 4DTV sub, but I am sure that others would buy at least some programming if it were offered? People in Apts that want both for example........

I know FTA is a taboo to these pizza guys (I never even knew FTA was there until a month ago...BEST KEPT SECRET AROUND!) but it seems to be like swimming upstream business wise. FTA will not go away and why fight city hall?

I know that not all receivers are equipped with card readers, but I imagine there is an add on available.

jeff

Last edited:
1) All questions are ignorant, its through exposing our ignorance that we become capible of learning.

2) Everone is ignorant, just on differing topics.

3) Ignorance is lack of knowledge and has nothing to do with stupidity which is lack of ability to learn.

Let me ask you a question...
Why should they support FTA when they give you all the hardware to recieve their programming with your subcription, their in it for profits, the less info/control they relaese the longer their system stays secure and their profits keep flowing?

They made the hacking hardware illegal and anything add on that may be used for hacking opens you up for being prosecuted for hacking their system even if your not doing it.

mike

Not a hacking question!

OldPhart said:
1) All questions are ignorant, its through exposing our ignorance that we become capible of learning.

2) Everone is ignorant, just on differing topics.

3) Ignorance is lack of knowledge and has nothing to do with stupidity which is lack of ability to learn.

Let me ask you a question...
Why should they support FTA when they give you all the hardware to recieve their programming with your subcription, their in it for profits, the less info/control they relaese the longer their system stays secure and their profits keep flowing?

They made the hacking hardware illegal and anything add on that may be used for hacking opens you up for being prosecuted for hacking their system even if your not doing it.

mike

Hello Mike:

Like your parables...

never thought about as why they should support FTA...simply move their security to another format card and sell it....people will always be after them and they know this war is not a 10 rounder but a continuing saga!

This was never intended to be that type of question. Strictly a Business why question!

I know you can piggyback a "free" setup of theirs to your FTA receiver, but if anyone out there is like me,,,,I have no room for more boxes! Nor would I want to get involved in the "read the fine print for "free" " offerings.

My cabinets runneth over, with my HT receiver, DVD Player, Viewsat extreme, 4DTV, Hdd200, Panamax etc. Plus I have seen some of the installs these guys do in my area...If I wanted their service, I would not want their free installation (these guys are a disaster out here!)...If I were up to no good, I would never have posted the question (and would not need too!)

THIS IS PURELY A BUSINESS QUESTION! No tech info is asked for!!! Add on card readers were available to permit FTA owners to subscribe to stuff THAT MAY BE AVAILABLE (in other countries?) My viewsat extreme has a reader built in and I am not aware that it is anything but legit and sold by reputable vendors...I think Stock Pansat receivers also have some type of readers built in. (if I remember they are for Firmware official upgrades)

It just does not make any sense to me at this point and I never accept anything that is shoved down my throat...as well as having a deep suspicion of anything FREE that is involved in a recurring revenue model (especially with contract periods running 2+ years!)!

As I mentioned, I have a 4dtv setup that is subscribed with the stuff I want to watch A-LA- CART, so I get just what I want at a quality that cannot be beat (not to mention Price!). Currently I have STARZ and a few Analog channels like Sci-Fi, WGN, BET,etc...along with Discovery HD...so I would never need the Pizza offerings! Not to mention the in the clear channels w/4DTV...I do not need local either since my attic mount terk gets all our locals inc HD channels just fine!

Forgot to add...I recently added some subs from a second provider on 4DTV since my current one is up in a couple of months, and I am going to switch (Mine is now owned by a Pizza company!) Anyway, when the new provider "hit" me, he wiped out my legit 1st provider (which was Starz) luckily, they have an auto rehit setup since they were closed at the time!

TIA
Jeff

Last edited:
Years and years and years ago it might have been the case but no way now. The deregulation has allowed for cable co's and satellite cos to be owned or operated by content producers.

Direct tv I think is now owned (majority) by Murdoch who operates the Fox channels (no political rants please)

Comcast cable runs their own news channel called cn8

I hear time warner cable actually has deleted episodes of the sopranos off peoples pvr's. They own the show, the channel, the cable box, the pvr so for them they see this as total ownership...because of this they see this as digging into their dvd sales/rentals!

Logical

mdovell said:
Years and years and years ago it might have been the case but no way now. The deregulation has allowed for cable co's and satellite cos to be owned or operated by content producers.
Direct tv I think is now owned (majority) by Murdoch who operates the Fox channels (no political rants please)
Comcast cable runs their own news channel called cn8
I hear time warner cable actually has deleted episodes of the sopranos off peoples pvr's. They own the show, the channel, the cable box, the pvr so for them they see this as total ownership...because of this they see this as digging into their dvd sales/rentals!

But typical for the corporate mentality today...cannot see what they have to gain....only what they have to lose! Used to be a day where taking a calculated chance was seen as an opportunity to make money!

Just another reason, I quit corporate America after 20+ yrs!

Jeff,

As I understand it, exactly what you describe is how things work on the other side of the pond. Over there you add a CAM to get whoever's programming on whatever hardware you like. Here in the US switching DBS providers is like starting over every time. Over there it's kind of like C-band here, only there are more than 3 receivers to choose from :).

That wraps that up!

Shawn95GT said:
Jeff,

As I understand it, exactly what you describe is how things work on the other side of the pond. Over there you add a CAM to get whoever's programming on whatever hardware you like. Here in the US switching DBS providers is like starting over every time. Over there it's kind of like C-band here, only there are more than 3 receivers to choose from :).

Thanks Shawn...That was all I was after!!!
Regards
jeff

DTV spent untold hundreds of millions and a few years ago getting their security resecured with their current card, Dish Network OTOH is being hacked right and left from what I've been told, you have to have companies that trust each other before they can work togeather... The only way DTV will let DN have its security is if they merge, they will not use DNs unsecure system, and the feds put a stop to that merger a few years back... It IS business, as in dog eat dog, protecting intellectual property...

In the early days of Sat TV it took an outside business, General Instruments(?) and THEIR Video Cypher technology to have a standard on C band then later Ku Band , they got broke and HAD to regroup and provide new encryption boxes to keep their business, from being sued... No One Wants that kind of liability now.

The security of their encryption IS the business answer, on many levels. You cant sell what folks can get freely and easily.

But that doesn't mean its the answer you want to hear. ;)

mike

I Just agree to disagree

OldPhart said:
DTV spent untold hundreds of millions and a few years ago getting their security resecured with their current card, Dish Network OTOH is being hacked right and left from what I've been told, you have to have companies that trust each other before they can work togeather... The only way DTV will let DN have its security is if they merge, they will not use DNs unsecure system, and the feds put a stop to that merger a few years back... It IS business, as in dog eat dog, protecting intellectual property...
In the early days of Sat TV it took an outside business, General Instruments(?) and THEIR Video Cypher technology to have a standard on C band then later Ku Band , they got broke and HAD to regroup and provide new encryption boxes to keep their business, from being sued... No One Wants that kind of liability now.
I respectfully disagree....Smart technology proivides for discrete algotherams
The security of their encryption IS the business answer, on many levels. You cant sell what folks can get freely and easily.
But that doesn't mean its the answer you want to hear. ;)
mike

Personally, as I said, I would not be interested even for free...Horrible picture, even on my cousin's HD Sony LCD
Right now, next to military technology, smart cards are the most secure medium I have been informed about...Selling controlled smart cards are a slam dunk easy way to go solution for adding to revenue...If the techs could not secure their info on a smart card, I would want to know why! mag stripe...different matter...way too easy...

I believe they have their own VERSION, isn't their card a smart card? ...at least D*V still uses smart cards...breaking in will always be around...no mousetrap cannot be entered by someone wanting in badly enough...it is a never ending battle as with software...those guys play hard too! Matrix kind of stuff!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tone Burst?

Anyone anxious to see SuitSat launched?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)