AMC 9 with 39" Dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

black Bear

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I was using a 30" dish for AMC 9 but lately it was getting very weak sig and unwatchable .. I then put up a 39 x 36 " dish and now i cannot get a signal nohow . Are all 39" dishes oval as this one is 36" wide and 39 " bottom to top ?
I even tried changing out the lnb from the 30 " dish on 39" and still nothing ?
Any tips on TPs to use when aiming ?
I am using GeoSatFinder for Arthur Ontario .
Wondering if the elevation would be different on the bigger dish or does it matter ?
I did try many degrees up and down of what Geo said to use .. Also played with the lnb settings a lot ..
I'm getting good power to lnb but no Q ..
Thx

I afraid the published footprint for AMC9 bears no relation to the RTV signal as this is an extremely weak transponder. If you were getting RTV on a 30" dish then a 39" should receive it better but a 1.2m dish seems to be the norm for this TP.
AMC 9 is also a difficult bird to lock on to, use any of the Hughesnet TPs to lock on.

Had some problems with my 31" dish, replaced it with 36" one and have no problems.

Ditto. I get this steady, but on the weak side with a 36". Sometime days it will break up, but most of the time it is fine.

My 90cm works almost always except when there is bad weather by me or at the uplink. It's the nature of the ku beast, RTV being lower to start with don't help.

Getting back to my original questions , is it normal for a 39" Digiwave dish to be egg shaped ?

Make sure the front edge of the dish is flat - cross two strings - one vertical and one horizontal across the outer rim. The strings should touch each other whether in front or back of each other. You need a very good dish to receive RTV. Here in Oregon a 1.2 meter works best.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

True South Sat

Sun outage: Fall 2009

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts