Amc-16

ok so take me up to speed on this.. i though amc 15 was going to the 105 local (now testing at 136) any one heard on that one... ???? where is amc 16 going??? so let me get this straight amc 15 @ 16 are echostar birds. just a little confuzed. thanks

goaliebob99 said:
ok so take me up to speed on this.. i though amc 15 was going to the 105 local (now testing at 136) any one heard on that one... ???? where is amc 16 going??? so let me get this straight amc 15 @ 16 are echostar birds. just a little confuzed. thanks

E* has applied for permission to test AMC 15 for 60 days at 117 and 60 days at 113 before moving to 105. This would make it available for new channels in April or May.

AMC 16 is supposed to end up somewhere around 85, which is relatively close to the new Voom satellite.

It appears that AMC 16 will require a separate dish. The dish and switch requirements are likely to get much more complicated next year. But it'll be worth it if E*adds a substantial number of HD channels without degrading the PQ.

Charlie just said on the Charlie Chat that next year at this time ,we will be using mpeg4 for any new hd channels and we will have an explosion of hd channels to talk about. So don't look for to much in the way of new hd till then. Oh yeah, you will need a NEW hd receiver to receive any new hd content with mpeg4. No news on how that will be done without the customer paying out the ass again. They also talked about the new 942 receiver coming out this spring and we could see it in January at the Electronic show or in Feb. on the next Tech Chat.

E* out of HD race?

From tonight's chat, it certainly does not appear that E* is going to do much with HD during the next year, even though they should have plenty of additional capacity with the new 105 satellite and the new AMC-16 at 85. Apparently it is all going to be used for Locals and Internationals, although there are a number of potential HD channels (Starz HD, Universal HD, Cinemax HD, NBC HD, ABC HD, FOX HD, ESPN2 HD, INHD1, and INHD2). Charlie's comment about Bravo HD shows how much he's keeping up with HD - Bravo HD was relaunched as Universal HD this month.

It appears that anyone buying a E* HD receiver during the next year will have to replace them about this time next year if they want to participate in the HD explosion. What a bummer!

I will probably be switching to D* if they get their HD act together, unless E* acquires Voom.

Yea what a disapointment for the self proclaimed "leader in HD". I just spendt allot of money on an 811 that will be obsolete before Charlie adds any new HD channels, If this continues I belive I will go back to comcast. I hate to say it but Ive given him a year and at least with Comcast I can get all my locals in HD without messing with a crappy antenna.

So the 942 could finally be the format using MPEG-4 that they will end up using over the long haul. They still aint going to get HD off the ground very far until they get the prices down on the receivers. I do not know of many that are willing to spend that much money for television or HD, not the average Joe.

Well just about everyone will half to get MPEG 4 receiver's no matter who you are with. So there is really no reason for Dish or Direct to add more HD untill customers have the right receiver's to support it. So just play the waiteing game untill it's time to do switch out your receivers. But atleast they are going to MPEG4 and we will get more HD channels with better PQ across the broad. So going out and jumping ship to another really wont get you any where. Just half to waite like everyone else.

This is why I lease the 811. So I pay 5 dollars a month, it would take years for me to equal the cost of buying one and now I have the option of getting a different box without being left with an inferior piece of equipment to get rid of. Just my .02

skidog said:
This is why I lease the 811. So I pay 5 dollars a month, it would take years for me to equal the cost of buying one and now I have the option of getting a different box without being left with an inferior piece of equipment to get rid of. Just my .02
That's where I intend to go from now on. My 811 was effectively the same as a $5/month lease ($50) with a 1 year agreement, and now I own it (not that I could get much for it now, but at least it's paid off). If they don't have a similar deal with the next generation of receivers, a lease will be the way to go.

Yeah I would not jump on the 942! From what I was told they compare it to a 522. That you can hook up two tv's and that it has a DVR and has the HDMI input which really still supports the samething as DVI. Besides that it seems to be really it. I think later in the year we will probally see the receivers that support MPEG4 with the new chipsets. But of course the "Advance Tech" folks at Dish have not heard anything and are told at the last minute about new receivers and programming. Which again our friends here at SatelliteGuys know just as much as Dish when it comes to new things than them it seems But thats ok it works this way in allot of things that the Customers useally know more..

Call from Dish Network Today

SuperDish 105

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts