Advanced FTA Receiver settings explained Coolsat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I have several questions about my FTA receiver functions. I haven't figured out some of the settings yet. I will list them in no particular order:

PID search- I am not clear on what anything PID related means. I know what they mean with cars but I don't think it is the same thing.

Legacy Switch

Pilot-

Frequency scan-(Coolsat 8000)

Network Search

BER

The only thing that I see that is useful is the Pilot setting. This is a DVB-S2 8psk related issue, where Pilot symbols are used in a sat beam. Pilot can be either ON or OFF , and you have to pick the right option there to lock a DVB-S2 8psk signal. The other options are nothing I've ever used or bothered with.
:)

legacy switch is what dn used to use b4 dp & dpp lnbs (the d500s with seperate lnbs no writing)... it can cascade with diseqc & 22khz switches

PID search- I am not clear on what anything PID related means. I know what they mean with cars but I don't think it is the same thing.
digital channels have PIDS to distinguish the audio and video. When anything was analog it was simple. There were none. Of course there was only one channel per transponder. With digital they need different PIDS to log each channel. Some channels (the CW feeds on 91W C-Band) will not log the channels on a scan. So a PID entry (PID search) you manually enter the video PID, the audio PID and the PCR PID (they are posted on Lyngsat and thelist) and then you can scan in the channels. Normally this is not needed

Legacy Switch
the software for the 8000/8100 at the end was hackerware with the stealing part removed and folks used old Dish Network switches. This is what that allows the switching

brent noted the info on that

Frequency scan-(Coolsat 8000)
Is that just a scan of the transponders in the machine? I dont know (dont have mine anymore)

Network Search
If a provider uses it and you turn it on the receiver will load all the transponders they use on that satellite. Other than DBS the only one that uses it is Globecast. If you removed all the transponders that Globecast uses (now not all TP's on 97W are Globecast), then entered just one TP and did a scan with network on you'll have 10-11 transponders. Used mainly in Europe (kinda like a poor mans blind scan). If you do it on a DBS satellite it will show all TP's on that satellite even if you can't lock them (like the Dish HD transponders)

never used it. DOnt think it has a purpose

BER stands for Bit Error Rate, which is the inverse of the Quality scale. Not sure how that figures into the feature you describe, since I don't have a CS-8k...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What I love about FTA !

What would cause this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)