Add new receiver without paying?

tullisc

Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I have 3 Dish Network 311 receivers and I would like to add 1 more. However I don't want to pay the extra $5 dollars/month. All three are in my house at the same location. I never use more than 1 at a time, so I don't want to pay the extra. Can I buy a used receiver and place it my extra bedroom. I have 2 satellite dishes, both with double outputs.
Thanks

If you buy a used receiver, it's worthless until Dish activates it, and when Dish adds it to your account, there's your extra $5/month.

If you never use more than one at a time, then wire the extra bedroom and whenever you want to watch TV there, just disconnect a receiver from its usual location and hook it up in the extra bedroom.

OR get a receiver that can handle a UHF remote, run the output from that receiver to the extra bedroom, and watch the same show on both sets (which won't matter because you only use one at a time).

carload thats what my uncle does. He has the out from one receiver going into the coax of the house and is split one to his living room other to the kitchen and the remote will change the channel to both rooms, since he only watches one tv at a time having the same channel doesn't matter.

I lucked out last night at my friendly neighborhood RadioShack with a tunable UHF/CATV/IRC/HRC modulator for $25. Now my setup is (on all my TVs):
  • Ch. 4: Dish HD-DVR 921 (for satellite channels, digital & analog locals, crummy AUX line input, DVR content) or VCR (if "TV/VCR" is on "VCR") or 5-disc DVD player (through VCR's line input)
  • Ch. 50: Pansat 2500A (for Free-To-Air satellite channels; I always just leave it tuned to The Tube :)) - this is from my new modulator
  • Ch. 60: Dish DVR 522 (for satellite channels, DVR content) - this is from the TV2 output (the 522 is always in single mode)
I had previously lucked out a couple months ago and got two 3-band combiners for $2 each (unopened) at the same RadioShack location. Last night they claimed they even had another $25 tunable modulator. I'll probably go get it too...

I gotta get some pics of my "command center" some day! :rolleyes:

Anyone know why WCFE Ch 57 is off the air??

Deleting a Timer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)