Activating the Receiver for Pre Paid

Domani

Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Texas
I would like to install the Pre Paid Dish Now in my camper. We camp in a lot of area where their is no phone service (local or cell). Can I phone from another area and have the receiver activated even though it is located in another area? Thanks :confused:

I would like to install the Pre Paid Dish Now in my camper. We camp in a lot of area where their is no phone service (local or cell). Can I phone from another area and have the receiver activated even though it is located in another area? Thanks :confused:

Yes. Just make sure the receiver is already receiving a signal from the satellites(110/119), and is plugged in. It does not need to be turned on(of course it needs to be on to see the Dish pointer screen initially).

If this is the first time you have installed the receiver, after getting a strong signal, let the receiver download the latest channel guide, and info. It may also download the latest software(currently P396), to update the receiver, or it may just download the channel lineup, and download software updates late at night when the unit is off.

After you call in, and get the programming you want, wait at least 20 minutes just to make sure the info is being sent to the receiver. Once it is in the receiver, you can move it/unplug it, and take it with you.

Thanks, that really helps. I wasted a call to Dish Network and got some guy that was over the great pond or originally came from there. First off, he did not seem to understand about camping. After a long discussion tyring to explain, he seemed grasp it but said something about being charged $5 every time for something. When I tried to explain that I may only be in one place for a few days and then move on, he said I would be charged $19.95 every time I moved to another location.True or False? :rolleyes:

Yes. Just make sure the receiver is already receiving a signal from the satellites(110/119), and is plugged in. It does not need to be turned on(of course it needs to be on to see the Dish pointer screen initially).

If this is the first time you have installed the receiver, after getting a strong signal, let the receiver download the latest channel guide, and info. It may also download the latest software(currently P396), to update the receiver, or it may just download the channel lineup, and download software updates late at night when the unit is off.

After you call in, and get the programming you want, wait at least 20 minutes just to make sure the info is being sent to the receiver. Once it is in the receiver, you can move it/unplug it, and take it with you.

Thanks, that really helps. I wasted a call to Dish Network and got some guy that was over the great pond or originally came from there. First off, he did not seem to understand about camping. After a long discussion tyring to explain, he seemed grasp it but said something about being charged $5 every time for something. When I tried to explain that I may only be in one place for a few days and then move on, he said I would be charged $19.95 every time I moved to another location.True or False? :rolleyes:

False. He is thinking you have a regular Dish account, which you most certainly do not. You did not give any info like a credit card, did you?

When you first setup your dish account, they will now(never was this way until this year) ask for your name, address including zip code, and some other info, but nothing like a Credit card, or Social Security #, since this is a prepaid setup, and is not a regular account. It is like a phantom account, or something.

They just want to know where the prepaid setup is mainly, and where they are located.

I have received in past some e-mail stating that my Dish Network account is now available online to be viewed, which is FALSE for anyone with a prepaid account. There is no such thing for us, and it is probably some crooks just PHISHING for information.

Never go to the Dish Network site and try to access your rpepaid account online. It does not exist.

When you are in the voice prompts, just always say NO, when the prompt asks you, "Has there been any changes to your satellite system?" If you say YES, they think the box has moved, and they want the new zip code for where it is. Don't bother. You can't get any of the channels that require a zip code location anyway(locals, Local Sports Network), so just leave it alone.

Thanks. Good things to know. Just picked up the kit with the 301 receiver and dish but have not assembled it yet. Hope to get it going today. Everyone has been a great help. I am still not sure I understand the programing. My question is when I call in and activate with a card, can I just request a certain number of days, like 5? Or do I have to have it continuosly until the amount of the card is used up? My thinking is that I would like to have it activated while in a campground and not be using up the card value while traveling and not camped. Like maybe 5 days in one place and then on the road for 3 days. Then set up again for several days. I appoligize if this is confusing. :p

Thanks. Good things to know. Just picked up the kit with the 301 receiver and dish but have not assembled it yet. Hope to get it going today. Everyone has been a great help. I am still not sure I understand the programing. My question is when I call in and activate with a card, can I just request a certain number of days, like 5? Or do I have to have it continuosly until the amount of the card is used up? My thinking is that I would like to have it activated while in a campground and not be using up the card value while traveling and not camped. Like maybe 5 days in one place and then on the road for 3 days. Then set up again for several days. I appoligize if this is confusing. :p

Not a problem. With the GreenDot MoneyPack(GDMP), you can order programming by the day. You can order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.... on any of the programming they offer.

So you can order just 1 day of Classic Gold 250(250 channel package minus local channels and local sports networks. National sports networks like all of the espn's, NFL network, Vs., etc... come with it), and 1 day of HBO because you saw a movie listed you wanted to watch, you can do that.

The funny thing about ordering by the day is that you actually get an EXTRA DAY of programming despit what you ordered. So I "think" the ordering runs on a mix of 24 hour clock, and day by day.

Here is an example:

Lets say you ordered 1 day of Classic Gold 250 this morning(6/7/09). Well, if you looked at the channels it will actually say you have 2 DAYS left of programming because the programming does not actually "turn off/run out" until between 11:00pm-12:00am the FOLLOWING DAY!

So you paid for 1 day of programming, but got almost a full 2 days because that programming does not end until 6/8/09 between 11pm-12am.

This may not last forever, but it is the way it is now. So keep this in mind when you order programming. Be saving yourself a day here and there that would go to waste if you order too many when you stop to camp.

Also, get a printout of the channels that each level of programming offer, and their current June 2009 prices. We have the info here on the cost/per day of each level of programming with the current 2009 prices, using 30 days always to represent a month, even though some have 31 and February has 28/29 every four years. We think this is how they figure out the per day cost of what they offer in the ENGLISH programming/Adult channels/premium networks.

You may be able to find a little pamphlet with the current prices and channels available in each package by getting one at a local satellite store, or wherever Dish is sold. Ask for the most current one, since they may gove you an old one(2008) that does not have the current cost of programming printed correctly on the pamphlet.

Sharing a wireless gaming adapter with 622 and xbox 360

Dish 500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)