a switch question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
I read Anole's stories of switch combos, but I'm not clear on whether I need the Ecoda switches or what. I think I may be able to connect more than 4 lnbs to one receiver with the right combination (?)
I have sev fixed primestars I would setup if this is possible. Now, I'm using one diseqc switch inside the house, with about a dozen Rg6 leads ran indoors, I would like to eliminate some of the cabling lol. I have one motorized KU dish, one c-band fixed on AMC6, one fixed KU on AMC15 , and one 'test' cband on Intelsat9. Nothing on I-9 I want so I plan to put another Primestar on either AMC9 or G27. All have single output lnbs.
I have a 22khz switch, 2 port switch....sev diseqc switches and sev 3x4 switches.
Any of that work if I needed 6inputs instead of 4? Can the diseqcs get their signal after the 22khz switch? My sinus headache will not let me figure this out right now, thanks for any suggestions.

I believe FTABman0 meant to say "Show us", as in create a drawing yourself..? I have (in the past) connected 20+ LNBs to a single receiver, with just a single cable running into the house. While it sounds like things can be improved, the motor, along with 3x4 switches, and multiple receivers do complicate matters, and it's tough to guess what you actually want to achieve.

two solutions:

Well, without knowing more, or how many receivers you run, here are two ideas:

1 - Your 4-input diseqc switch can have any sort of 22khz switches hooked to EACH input
That would expand you to eight inputs
Not really a configuration I prefer, but if it suits you and you have parts on hand ... :)

2 - This post in the Switch FAQ might help
It uses one Ecoda switch and two 4-input diseqc switches to achieve eight total inputs
There are some limitations on which LNBs can/must be Standard, but that's explained
And of course, you would put your motor between the receiver and the Ecoda.

NOW, if you need a more custom solution, I'm sure we can come up with something! - :up

I read Anole's stories of switch combos, but I'm not clear on whether I need the Ecoda switches or what. I think I may be able to connect more than 4 lnbs to one receiver with the right combination (?)
I have sev fixed primestars I would setup if this is possible. Now, I'm using one diseqc switch inside the house, with about a dozen Rg6 leads ran indoors, I would like to eliminate some of the cabling lol. I have one motorized KU dish, one c-band fixed on AMC6, one fixed KU on AMC15 , and one 'test' cband on Intelsat9. Nothing on I-9 I want so I plan to put another Primestar on either AMC9 or G27. All have single output lnbs.
I have a 22khz switch, 2 port switch....sev diseqc switches and sev 3x4 switches.
Any of that work if I needed 6inputs instead of 4? Can the diseqcs get their signal after the 22khz switch? My sinus headache will not let me figure this out right now, thanks for any suggestions.

Turbo,

How about this... Run one cable from the receiver outside to an electrical box. Inside the box, connect it to an SW21 switch. Run two cables from the inputs of the SW21 switch to two 4X1 DiSEqC switches. Now you have eight possible connections for any dish, including a motorized dish. And the motorized signals do pass through this switch matrix (but you can only use one polarity from the LNBF on the motorized dish - linear or circular - at a time).

This works pretty good, I have been using this setup for about four years. I actually have this system set up as a twin or mirror so that I can operate two receivers (two SW21s and four 4X1 DiSEqC switches and all my LNBFs are Invacom QPH-031s, so they have dual outputs). Only one receiver controls the motor though, the other receiver has to just go along for the ride.

Radar

You talking about the SW21, Dish Network switch?
In some ways, it could be better than using an Ecoda (above).
But, I don't believe all FTA receivers can command those switches.

You talking about the SW21, Dish Network switch?
In some ways, it could be better than using an Ecoda (above).
But, I don't believe all FTA receivers can command those switches.

Yes Anole,

The SW21 switch with the DN logo. I would not have expected other FTA receivers to have any troubles with it. I use it exclusively with a Coolsat 5000 and no problems here.

I like it because it is a very durable, reliable switch. There are advantages and disadvantages to it compared to a 0-22KHz switch.

Radar

turbosat,

Here is another setup that would support 6 LNB's. I do not know if this setup will work, maybe others will respond and let us know if it will work.

Attachments

• 5LNB.JPG
    5LNB.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 195
clarify

Radar is on the right track. 2nd sentence in my orig post tried to explain what I wasnt able to figure out---how to run more than 4 inputs to one receiver. And I have no diseqc motor to worry about--my motorized ku dish is on a polar mount and still controlled by a GI 550 analog reciever(its only purpose is a dish motor).
All lnbfs are single output, standard so no complications there. I just didn't know whether to put the 22kz switch first in line from receiver, then a diseqc off each port of that or not. And I can't draw in MSPaint in linux so that would take longer than figuring out the switch puzzle lol.
Just got a couple of unused ku dishes lying on the ground that need to be busy, still got a couple of holes to blast first though. I'll have to find out from doing it, whether or not those signals will fly thru 110' of cable to switches and still operate them. Thanks guys!

I just didn't know whether to put the 22kz switch first in line from receiver, then a diseqc off each port of that or not.
Anole said:
2 - This post in the Switch FAQ might help
It uses one Ecoda switch and two 4-input diseqc switches to achieve eight total inputs
Turbo, if you use this design, then the 22khz switch MUST be an Ecoda, not a regular 22khz switch.
Your all-Standard LNBs will work fine.

GaryZ - no, your second diagram will not work, for the reasons mentioned above.

Turbo, if you use this design, then the 22khz switch MUST be an Ecoda, not a regular 22khz switch.

Why is that, Anole, are they radically different than my little dmsi 22khz switch?

edit: disregard this post>I remember now, one passes the diseqc tones and the other won't.

Last edited:

Why is that, Anole, are they radically different than my little dmsi 22khz switch?

edit: disregard this post>I remember now, one passes the diseqc tones and the other won't.

Turbo,

I suggested the SW21 switches (as opposed to the 22KHz switches) because of this. You can use any brand SW21 switch but, I recommend DN brand SW21 switches because they seem to be much more reliable.

Radar

I have one of those things left from my DishNetwork days, I think. Would I call it a 22khz switch in the satellite setup, or what? I don't think any of my receivers has an option for dishnetwork switches. (I bet brandX firmware would)

Thanks radar, if I have time tomorrow and its not splattering outside I may get involved in this.
If it works I should have enough cable left over to last for a long time, haha.

Their great little switches if your receiver supports them...

I have one of those things left from my DishNetwork days, I think. Would I call it a 22khz switch in the satellite setup, or what? I don't think any of my receivers has an option for dishnetwork switches. (I bet brandX firmware would)

It's not a 22kHz (I've read that it's a 21kHz tone) but it can respond unreliably to a 22kHz tone and a voltage change on Coolsat 5000 1.00 firmware.

How I got mine to change was to go from standard and no tone at 13V to 22kHz at 18V. I was switching between V on 123W (RTN's at the time) to H on 129 (Whitesprings)
It worked literally half of the time but changing the channel twice and I could switch between the 2 ports on the switch.

Other observations are that the SW21 passes both 22kHz and Diseqc 1.0 without problem.

And yes brandX firmware supports SWXX as legacy switches.
Also I have had problems with a mixture of brandX firmware controlling SW21 and ATSC diplexed into the same line. Something about it kills 10dB of ATSC Signal above Noise-floor

You may also consider an EMP Centauri switch, I picked a 8x1 last fall and it has worked well outside over the winter with temps -30 to -35 at times. Only 1 wire to the house, use the extra's for the next receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1 meter Primstar dish worth fixing?

Strong transponder on 91W?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)