A Few Questions About An Old Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I found this big old dish at an old bank. I just wonder if its worth the trouble for FTA. It was late at night so forgive the bad pictures. I know its fiberglass and its at least 36inchs across, like I said it was late.
What is it and can it take a motor.

Attachments

• 1115091936.jpg
    1115091936.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 1115091937.jpg
    1115091937.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 213
I found this big old dish at an old bank. I just wonder if its worth the trouble for FTA. It was late at night so forgive the bad pictures. I know its fiberglass and its at least 36inchs across, like I said it was late.

Yes, well worth the trouble.

I think it is a 1.2 meter and yes, it can be motorized but the weight is probably close to (or above) the limit for the typical little H-H DiSEqC motor.

With some fabrication you can put it on a BUD polar (linear or H-H) mount.

That looks to be a Prodelin dish.
There's plenty of discussion on the forum of the 6' model.

But the 4' version (1.2meter) looks identical. (not really: see my post below)

Last edited:
I agree

That looks to be a Prodelin dish.
There's plenty of discussion on the forum of the 6' model.

But the 4' version (1.2meter) looks identical.
I'm with Phlatwound that you have the smaller version.
And he should know... :)

It does look like a lot of the Prodelin dishes I used to put up when I did commercial installs. If it is the 1.8 m (6 ft) then you could make a mini bud for C/KU. You will need to put a "C-band" type of polar or H 2 H mount on the unit. They are heavy duty and heavy built systems.

Thanks guys. It does look like a Prodelin dish, I think it may be a 6 footer.
Now I have to go a see if they want to give it up.

Thanks guys. It does look like a Prodelin dish, I think it may be a 6 footer.
Now I have to go a see if they want to give it up.

On second look I think you may be right, it's looking more like a 6 footer to me.

Either way, fantastic dish, get it if you can. The 6 footer would definitely require a BUD mount of some sort if you wanted to motorize, if it's 6', the reflector alone is probably around 50 pounds.

oops:

What I meant to say above, was the the Prodelin 4' and 6' mounts often looked pretty much alike from the back side.
The dishes themselves look a little different.
Here's a pic from Phlatwound's thread showing the back side of a Prodelin 1.2m (4') dish.
So. . . a 6'er it must be! - :rolleyes:

And I think the 6' reflector plus LNB support arms come in closer to 100 lbs.

Here's an ambitious effort one of the members put forth - :eek:
Linuxman and entire arc on 6' Prodelin:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...st-way-receive-whole-ku-arc-fixed-dishes.html

Thanks for all the info. You guys are all right on as to what is. Looks like I have a lot to learn.
Either way I talk to the guy who owns it and he ask what I thought it was worth. So I told him my labor to take it down. :eek: Well then he said he has to talk to his partner and he would get back to me.
One other thing the fiberglass is black as hell can that be cleaned or painted?

I don't think I'd pay anything for it, if I had to take it down.
Now, if it was neatly setting in a parking lot, I might consider paying $50.
But, I'd want that NPRM and the blocks, the dish, mount, and the LNB canister.
It depends on what your needs and desires are, I guess.

I found several around my area, but once I located an 8½ foot Birdview solid, my interest in the 6' dishes dwindled. :)

Also, I always thought motorizing it would be a challenge.
But that depends on how big your junk box is.
We have members who'd have that up and trackin' the arc in one day, just from spare goodies they already have! - :eek:

edit: try a pressure washer, or one of those do-it-yourself car wash places? (as you drive the dish home)
And wear a rain-coat! - :eek:
I suspect some research on what others have used for soaps and chemicals might be helpful.
And maybe a long-handled broom? ;)

I think I would leave it fixed cause like you said it could be to much of a challenge to motoriz it.

Here on Long Island I don't see to many dishes.

So if he calls I'll go get it but I'm not paying for it.

Pressure washer sounds like a good idea.

I have this dish sitting in my garage :eek:
It take two to move it around.
Paid $50

I need to put it up someday.

Good luck with it.

Give the banker some time, don't act too excited.
Actually its an insurance place now. He told me a story about how when he first moved in someone offered them money for it. He said he turned him down cause he though it could be used for terrorism and he didn't want to be held liable. Also that guy didn't give him a clear answer on what he was going to do with it. So I just laughed. So then he asked what I was going to do with it. I told him FTA and that it was a hobby. I don't know if he believed.

Terrorism...?
He did say it can transmit so I guess he thinks I could use it to take over the world or at least Direct TV. :rolleyes::D
I don't know, like I said he owns an Insurance company.

Last edited:
He said he turned him down cause he though it could be used for terrorism and he didn't want to be held liable. Also that guy didn't give him a clear answer on what he was going to do with it. So I just laughed. So then he asked what I was going to do with it. I told him FTA and that it was a hobby. I don't know if he believed.

That's ridiculous. Everyone knows these dishes are used to spy on neighbors and communicate with aliens. Obviously, the guy is uneducated...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Call me crazy

1020a sticky thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)