97W -- looking back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

toucan-man

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Wisconsin
What's the history of 97W in the digital era? Which were the very first channels, were they FTA? How did this orbital location become so crowded with such a diversity of programming? Did this happen slowly or explosively? Globecast or Christian broadcasters -- which came first at this location?

Those of you who were there please comment.

While I was taking down all of my fixed point dishes to prepare to relocate I found my first FTA dish with a strip of tape attached to it.
On the tape it was written with permanent marker: IA 5 97W EL 42 AZ 181 LNB 0.6 CW

I wish I had written the date on that tag, it would have been from sometime in 2005, maybe a little before. The dish was a fiberglass / composite Channel Master dish that I picked up from a local satellite installer for $5. At the time, I had just purchased a Coolsat 5000 and it was my first attempt at a FTA system. I wasn't entirely green to satellite stuff as my eldest brother operated a TV repair / satellite shop and did lots of C-Band BUD installations. So we talked shop from time to time. I hooked this system up and within about five minutes or less I found a BOOMING signal! I must have been luckier than most, but I thought to myself that this was just too easy and too much fun. I was hooked immediately! The rest is, as they say... "history".

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I am trying to get a dish motor

Openbox S12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts