722 v 922, 722 + sling is better for me.

Drandroid

Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
ca
Hi, I just want to say that I'm not looking to argue with anyone. I just want to share my experience and see if any of you have had the same issue.
I had a 722 with 2 external hard drives. I'd manually switch between them when I needed to. Though slow and tedious I could move movies to and from the 722 at will and play off of the ext. HDs. I had done this to create a movie HD and a documentary HD.
I wanted a sling experience so the people at Dish convinced me that the 922 was the way to go... no loss of viewer benefits... a major improvement. I agreed because I had a new Sprint EVO and the android sling player just came out.

The install went smoothly (I don't know why they insisted on an installer... a complete waste of time and money for me). That was the last good event.

I saw the 2 USB ports and I thought "omg, I can plug in BOTH HDs". When I did they both showed up and I could switch between them. Then, my shock and unhappiness began. The improved user experience ended. I couldn't watch anything off of the ext HDs (why take that away?). Everything had to be transfered over to the 922. I attempted to transfer everything but I kept getting error messages. Most of what did transfer was corrupted. Mind you we're talking about 200 movies. Then I found out the transfer is one way thus making the benefit of the external hard drives limited, trivial, and in the long term useless. I called Dish and they said that I had been misinformed by their people and blamed me for not asking the right questions (I did and got the thumbs up answers). The manager had the balls to tell me "well, you'll never need more than one terabyte of movies.
The way the system software is configured most programs I transfer over will ultimately have to be deleted as I bump up against the 1TB limit. I can't send them back to the external drives. So, I paid $40 for a feature that they are ending for me.

I should have kept the 722 and bought a sling box but they told me that the 922 was that and all in one. When they faulted me for making the choice I was disturbed. I have been with them for over 10 years. I paid for install plus $200 for the 922 plus the added monthly costs and now I've lost some of my movies and I'm bummed that it's all been a futile waste. Their treatment of me so far has been disappointing. I love the sling player on the EVO. They're next response will determine if I end my 10+ year love affair with Dish.

Please don't crucify me if you don't agree. I'd appreciate constructive comments.

Much of what you said I mentioned in my review, which was one of the first reviews anywhere of the 922.

I think for many people a 722 and an external Slingbox will be the better option and allow you to do more things.

Welcome!!!
Scott's review of the 922 is on here somewhere. I think he said if you have a Sling and a 722 and you need TV2 for sd just stay with the 722 and Sling. His opinion may have changed since it has been out for a while and he did beta test the 922 for a while.

Damn. Speak of the devil. LOL

I appreciate your comments

You would think that Dish would realize that the early adopters will be the people that push for more choice... and will be disappointed and angered by the loss of functionality. Mind you I waited 5 months because I was waiting for they're dish version sling catcher or the android sling player. They should never sell the 922 to anyone with an ext hard drive without a full understanding of what they are going to lose.

What do you think my options are now? Do you think they will bring back the bi-directional transfer or will switching the cable/Direct with an HD Slingbox be the way to go? Their treatment of me has been a real letdown.

Still waiting for the software to update so I can get my external hard drive to work. Going on two months on July 6 th since I've owned this receiver and I must say I am really disappointed in the lack of features promised for this box. The channel logos & graphics are nice , but the lack of dish pass, manual timers and external hard drive support and tv 2 out in sd or HD , make the 922 a poor substitute for the 722k. The dish remote access is okay , but I still can't watch anything in HD over the computer other than ota hd channels. And this is going to be the flagship receiver that DISH is hanging it's whole future on? I think DIRECTV has the upper hand with their multi-room veiwing capability. This is a USEFUL feature that turns ALL receivers on your network in to potential dvrs whether they are dvrs or not. You can watch any show from any dvr in any room . Meanwhile DISH has Still not come out with the dish hd media extender promised for this month. I think the whole sling thing has put DISH behind in this technology , when DISH was the company that started this whole watching tv in two different rooms at the same time on the same receiver. Very disappointed in the progress of the 922 and in DISH right now.

Last edited:
No one can blame you. The 922 is obviously not ready for Prime Time. That is why I am waiting for most of the major bugs to be worked out and the major features to READY good to go. Unfortunately, it seems TiVo sent their Series 4 Premiere into stores before they got it right, as well. It seems companies are somewhat disingenuous when touting about their new boxes. It is terrible that you had to experience this. This is really Dish's fault.

The 922 is really acting like the successor to the 921... Perhaps Dish should not have numbered it so close. I had the 921 and it was pretty buggy. The 922 is right up there with it.

Much of what you said I mentioned in my review, which was one of the first reviews anywhere of the 922.

I think for many people a 722 and an external Slingbox will be the better option and allow you to do more things.

Scottie...I hate to bump a year old thread but what are your feeling today on a 922 or 722 with seperate sling?

Thanks Bruno

Scottie...I hate to bump a year old thread but what are your feeling today on a 922 or 722 with seperate sling?

Thanks Bruno

Scott G. said in another thread, he still recommends the sling adapter +722/722k receiver over the 922 for good sling capabilities. Cheaper on the wallet and no extra $4.00 fee tacked on to the dvr fee like the 922 has.

922 obsolete?

Maybe adding a Duo 625, can't figure out how much my fee will increase?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)