722 Broadband Dish on Demand issue

scifiadict

Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Denver CO
Have tried to use the Dish on Demand options but keep having errors. The Dish Technical Assistance help lines were no help either.

I have DSL connected through ethernet and can browse the offerings with no problem. I can also access VOD without any problem. However, when I try to view any of the other offerings, such as Dish Cinema or TV Shows, the rental confirmation appears normal but then the selection never starts. The selection shows up in My Rentals but I can never watch the selections.

A message pops up as follows:

Your rental cannot be completed at this time. Verify that your receiver is connected to braodband service or a phone line and try your rental again. If you are still unable to rent this title, contact Customer Service at 1-800-333-DISH.

However, when I go under Diagnostics and perform Connection tests, both broadband and phone connection are ok. Even when I run analysis, it comes back ok.

Could this be a technical issue with my particular 722 or is this a problem others have experienced? Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
what bandwidth do you have there DSL @ What speed?

Run a speed test: Speakeasy - Speed Test

Reply back with the speeds to one or two largest cities (ie.. I'm in VA, I would do NY, DC, and Atlanta)

the VOD you're trying .. have you tried any of the short ones like the 2 and 3 minute "blurb" types? Idea would be less data travelled, less being noticed by ISP for high yeild stuff..

-R

Speed tests

NY Download - 10.15 Mbps Upload .73
LA Down 10.38 Up .73
DC Down 10.24 Up .73

Tried several different 30 minute shows and always get the error. Couldn't find any shorter. Had to reset a couple of times tonight. When I went into TV and tried to browse network, no networks showed up and then system would lock up and then reset.

I have America's Top 250, HD 250, HBO, SHO, and HD Platinum so I should have plenty of networks to browse. Does this sound like hardware to you?

Well the disappearing / empty networks and then lockup does ... and this is the 722 not the 722k?

Are you able to see the event in your list on Dish Remote Access?

edit: also.. nice download speeds ... especially when diverse like that (ny / la) the upload (personally) would want to have 1.5 meg if the DL is 10 but.. thats me.. I tend to do both UL/DL :)

Last edited:
Yes, it is the 722. At this point, I have given up on Dish and am trying Netflix. The internet connection works perfectly with my PS3 and Netflix.

It is frustrating that I have something that doesn't work in my theater. The only thing I can think to do at this point is have them come out on a service call with a replacement for the 722.

Do you have any other suggestions?

not really... Video On Demand ... until Dish integrates a hulu or netflix like experience is going to suck bandwidth like crazy.. consider yourself lucky that it won't even DL for you .... I mean really.. in the age of Divx ... 4 gig movie file compressed to 1.2 gigs ... which on average I'm seeing 1.5 to 2 gigs per hour of HD recorded from DISH .. is just wasteful of bandwidth.

If dish wanted, I'm sure they could bring PC type systems in for their 722 and 922 lines.. figure average PC's at 300 dollars, the satellite cards at 150 to 200 .. there's your 500 dollars for a 922 ... and more versatile ... but figure the odds on that happening.

Having the incorrect MTU size can cause issues like this.
Here is a link that describes how to find out what yours should be
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695
Cable Internet is typically 1500
DSL is typically 1492
Your routers default is probably 1500. For me changing this had a dramatic positive effect on my network performance.

I have a similar problem on a 722K. Movie will download and no playback. It shows as a black screen, I click on the 'select' or 'info' button the info banner pops on I can see the minutes is going down as if the movie is actually playing. I've been playing around with this on freebies only.
No error codes. Receiver works perfectly in all other aspects. Solid and fast ethernet connection (cable). I have NF also, and acess to others like Hulu and Amazon. So this is not a do or die, but like to have it work correctly. I wondered if should be watching it on a specific channel...??

Last edited:

Newly hired installer question???

VIP 722k TV2 graphics corruption

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)