721 bug vs. early failure??

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
My 721 keeps randomly switching over to the interactive mosaic channel. This happens whille watching any live channel or DVR event. The front panel and remote fail to respond appropriately while it's on this mosaic channel. I don't go to the mosaic very often (intentionally), but I'm wondering if the animated deep sea diver and shark swimming across the screen is intentional? It almost seems as if the box (software) has been hacked! I can sometimes get out of the interactive (misnomer) screen with the front panel power button only.

Soft and power-cord reboots aren't resolving this issue. This box has been rock solid for me for years. Then with the recent updates it's gone to hell.:mad:

I think I'd try changing the remote address in case a neighbor is using a UHF remote that's on the same address. Maybe they love the mosaic??

No problems with my 721, so it's not a universal problem. Good luck!

Not sure what to tell you.. I had a 721 and in the end it started doing weird things like switching on its own..And going off to strange channels.. I never could get it to stop. I yanked it off my account. Dish is not really supporting the 721 any longer but I am sure they have some to use as replacements. You probably own it since I don't remember any promotion that gave the 721 to anyone.. I would be willing to bet what you are seeing is receiver related and probably software too.. The 721 was great at one point. But the software just never was right on it once they made it Dish Pro Plus compatible

Not likely to be a neighbor. I don't have any....heheheh...I literally live in the middle of nowhere, in the woods.

Unplugging the receiver for an hour seems to have resolved it.

I wonder what the animated deep sea diver and shark were all about. Funny stuff!

Glad you found some respite if not a solution. My 721 is still rock solid, but I've only had it for a little over 2 years. It does get heavy use though! :)

No neighbors? Even nicer!! :D

I spoke too soon. The problem returned a couple days later. It hasn't missed a recording, although it is sometimes difficult accessing them. A power cord reboot seems to line things out long enough to watch some DVR'd events.

I spoke with Dish. I told the tech everything I'd done to resolve/troubleshoot the issue (from remote batteries, remote address, to power cord reboots). After listing everything I'd done, he asked "are you a technician?" Then he promptly arranged for a replacement.

I don't use the 721 very often anymore. It's going to the only TV in the house along with the 622. I don't have anymore HD connections free on my TV anyways (without a switcher).

I mainly use the 721 to DVR standard def routine programs, and to act as a 4th and 5th tuner should conflicts arrise.

I suppose I could "upgrade" to a 522, but I like the silver. Shallow, I know...I don't think I'd pay DVR fees either way since I subscribe to everything.

I suppose NBR could be useful, but I mainly record blocks of time on the 721 (Adult Swim cartoons, sunday night FOX cartoons/comedies, etc.)

Sorry you're still having problems. I hope the new box works great for you!!

I love my 622 also, but with so much content still in SD, having the 721 with no dvr fee makes it a great second receiver right now.

Free Showtime Preview--no Showtime HD?

New Software 508 P363

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)