622 stopped working in strip

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I had an interesting experience yesterday. I turned on my TV and ViP622 DVR and the TV screen was blank instead of showing the usual display. I tried again a couple times and nothing happened. I reset the receiver using the push button on the right side. It would come on for about 15 seconds then shut off again.

I unplugged it from the wall and tried again. I got the same results. If I just left it alone it would come on by itself every two or three minutes, but then shut off again after 15 seconds.

I called Dish Tech Support. After going to second level support, the Tech asked if the unit was plugged into a power strip or directly into the wall. I said that the DVR, TV and Slingbox were all plugged into a power strip with surge protection. She had me plug the DVR directly into the wall. That fixed the problem! The DVR came on and stayed on. It's been working fine again for the 36 hours or so.

The power strip has been in use for at least three years, and it still works for the TV and Slingbox, but not the DVR. I wonder why the DVR doesn't work now when plugged into it? Weird, huh?

Larry
SF

Why?

If the power strip is bad, fine, but if the power strip is good, there should be no problem.

Power strips are specifically made so that you can share a reasonable amount of items. What you described as being plugged in should be no problem. Some electronics are more sensitive to needing the exact specs than others. It is possible your strip is not working correctly, but not affecting the other electronics. I suspect a grounding issue with the strip, and would bet a new one would work fine. In my opinion a Sat receiver especially should be in a surge protected power strip.

I would like to see why DISH is so insistent on not using power strips with the HD receivers.Every installer says plug straight to wall and if you have to call or chat the first question and second question will be is the receiver plugged into a power strip.They never give a reasonable answer as to why the receiver should be plugged straight to wall.

I suspect because of DishComm technology. (Allows one receiver to use attributes from another receiver, such as a phone line) It works through the electric system, so not directly plugging into the wall probably blocks or can block the service.

It is weird but I would try another power strip. It is the likely culpit but there should be no problen with three items ona power strip.

DISH 77w

TV shows, marathons,etc, on this long Memorial Day weekend

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)