522: newbie needs some setup help please. =)

Jeep-Guy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Hello, thanks for reading this post and offering assistance. :)

We recently had the Dish 522 installed, but the installer could not get it set up the way we had requested.

We wanted the TV1 output mirrored to one bedroom and the TV2 output in the other two bedrooms with just the one receiver. He ran all the cables, but could only get TV1+TV2 on the main television and the TV2 to output to one bedroom. The other two bedrooms are not connected. Six hours later we sent him on his way, thinking we could find a remedy ourselves.

This is how he left the setup:
1 cable coming from the satellite to the SAT on the diplexer1.
1 cable running from the UHF/VHF on the diplexer1 to the working bedroom.
1 cable running from the IN/OUT on the diplexer1 to the IN/OUT on diplexer2.
1 cable running from the UHF/VHF on the diplexer2 to the Channel 21-69 out on the receiver.
1 cable running from the SAT on the diplexer2 to the INPUT on diplexer3.
1 cable running from the SAT1 and SAT2 to the respective inputs on the receiver.

The main television is hooked up directly to the TV1 S video and audio ports.

As you can probably tell, there is a real rats nest of cables. We were thinking that we could just put an amplified multi-switch in the attic to simplify everything and have both TV1 and TV2 in the bedrooms. Is this possible? We'd be eternally grateful in anyone could point us in the right direction.
:) :) Thanks!:) :)
===Dave

I am assuming that Diplexor 3 is really a dish pro plus seperator. Correct ?

Other than the S-Video what else comes out of tv1 on the receiver, so you can feed it to bedroom 1. At the moment the only out's going back up the diplexed cables is tv2. (ch21-69)

I suggest you will need to combine the two rf outputs ( ch3/4 and ch 21-69 as you called them) and send them up diplexor 2 and out of diplexor 1, then run splitters to feed bedroom 1, 2 and 3.

I assume all this was because you only wanted to run 1 cable to the receiver and distribute in the attic to the bedrooms.

wow
i tried something similar and found out hard way that it is hard to do have 2 diplexers. My suggestion will be.
you want to put 2way splitter as signal combine, from TV1 and out from TV2 and you will end up with one cable. then you have separator for satellite signals in, after that you should have diplexer you ran that one line from 2way splitter in to diplexers to UHF port and satellite port will ran in to separator. then put another diplexers at main distribution box and ran line from diplexers in your other splitter to run rest of the house
does that make sense?

Last edited:
hehe, pardon my naiveté. [BLUSH]

Yes, it is a Dish pro plus separator.

I checked the receiver and found that TV1 is completely open. The technician did not install the back feed for TV1. I think I understand this now. I can fix this. wooHOO!!! Thanks for you guys assistance. :)

Is there any advantage to using this single cable solution? All of the rooms have a dual cable wall plate and we have no need of an antennae.

Is it possible to leave the RF outs stacked and utilize the bedroom television's tuners to switch from TV1 to TV2? That would be sooooo ROCK!

Thanks,
===Dave

Is it possible to leave the RF outs stacked and utilize the bedroom television's tuners to switch from TV1 to TV2? That would be sooooo ROCK!
Yes - no problem.

Use a common splitter hooked up "backwards" to TV1 and TV2. The single port side of the splitter now has your 2 TV channels on it.

Now, depending on your needs and available wires, hook the splitter (being used as a combiner) to the UHF/VHF side of a diplexer, or just to it's own (no satellite) wire. If you use a diplexer, hook another one up at the convienent place where you want to "break out" the TV1+TV2 signal and send them elsewhere.

Said 'elsewhere' could be into another splitter (I've done 4-way successfully), and then out and about the house.

how to hook 510 and 625 to same tv

942 file converter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)