36x39 dish or 36" dish any difference?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I've got a 36" dish for my KU stuff and it works good. I've also got a Hot Dis 90 which is roughly 36x39. Will the extra three inches make that much difference? I'm thinking of sticking with the 36" unless it's a noticeable increase.

The surface accuracy, efficiency and hardware build will have more effect on the Signal Quality than the slight reflector size difference.

Bigger is usually better when comparing apple to apple, but a larger reflector with lower performance will provide less gain than a well designed and constructed smaller reflector.

Unless the 39" wide (?) dish had a custom feedhorn to match, I dont't see how it'd do much.
Something like an Andrew (ChannelMaster / Primestar) 84E, with it's stock feed , would be more impressive.
But then, those are better made commercial dishes. :)

Thanks guys! I didn't think I'd notice any real difference but thought I'd ask. Going to leave well enough alone. The old primestar dish is much better quality built than the Hotdish anyway

What you might consider, if yer lookin for a holiday project ...

Mount two (or three ) LNBFs and make it a fixed dish for a couple of birds.
There are lots of threads to suggest which birds, how far apart, and which LNBFs.
Even if you just set up for a single satellite, to added a lot of flexibility to your setup.

Oh wait. I'm preaching' to the choir!
well, Happy Turkey Day anyhow ... ;)

In the automobile engine scenario they say there's no substitute for cubic inches... Suppose it might translate into satelite dish gain somewhat (squared instead of cubed)... but reflector quality is the supercharger?? :)

The taller than wider dish looks round from the LNB look angle which should be more efficient providing the reflector F/D ratio is matched to the LNBF. I don't see F/D specs for most LNBFs which does bother me a bit unless they are standardized in the FTA industry.

Cubic inches don't mean much if the rings are sloppy, the valves don't seat and the crankshaft is bent... :D

KU-band LNBFs are typically designed for .5 or .6 FD offset.

Brian I think all your dishes are .5 FD so the LNBFs you sell are likely a well matched set. I would like to see (more) manufacturers specify the optimal FD or FD range in the event I would have an oddball dish with .4 FD to avoid trying to get a .6 FD LNBF to work properly on it... Also many BUDs are .3-.4FD so if one were to install a Ku LNBF a .4 would work better than a .6 (in theory).

I'm looking to replace two 33" dished I have so you might be expecting a call one of these days.

Don't eat too much turkey! :)

big engine doesn't make power an efficient engine makes great power. something that works that is small works better than something that is big that doesn't not efficient.

Dan Rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Macys Thanksgiving Parade

Happy FTA Thanksgiving to all SatelliteGuys and Gals!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)