3688 Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
Come on guys, I need some help from you 3688 owners.

1. What is the difference between search option ALL and FREE and network search NIT OFF and NIT ON and what do they do?

2. Is there anyway to blind scan each polarity seperate when using it as a slave? On the 3618 it would give you a choice of scanning H or V. This would cut scan times down and would give you only one set of frequencies. The 3688 takes forever for a scan and has a lot of repeat frequenices.

3. Is there anyway to delete UNWANTED channels all at once without deleting the ones you want to keep?

I think the 3618 is a lot more user friendly, but there are things on the 3688 that I like. I would like it more if I could figure out some of these bugs.

Diamond, the difference between ALL and FREE, is basically how many signals you want the receiver to scan. on the all setting it will identify all the free to air channels and the pay channels that are scrambled. if for example starz is on the sat it may recognize it as a channel but list it as scrambled, I usually only scan free channels, if a pay channel is being broadcast in the clear the 3688 will recognize it and let you watch. the nit setting will update any channel information that may be on a channel you have previously scanned. such as changing a program 1 listing to actual channel ID's. i don't know how to scan eithre H or V yet, cannot figure it out. the easiest way to delete channels is to go menu, then channel manager you will see delete and it will give you the option to delete a signal channel, all, all cas or all non favorites. hope this is helpful. i have been running a 3688 for about 9 months now and love it!

Neil,

Thanks for the info, it clears a few things up. As for deleting, I found that DELETE ALL button by accident and had to start all over. On the 3618 when you wanted to delete you can pull up the delete screen, put an X by all the channels you want to delete, hit the button once and they would be gone. All others would stay. That is what I am looking for on the 3688. What the ALL CAS mean? I am a little gun shy after I terminated about 3 hours worth of work installing and to have it gone with one touch of the wrong button.

Also, I am a little fuzzy about this BLIND SCAN. Last night I scanned IA(T)6 checking for the basketball games, it said I had 15 signals, when it started to process them, it said I had 100 signals. It took about 10 minutes to process the 100 to get 2 channels. This is very time consuming, am I missing something here?

I have to say that, if it wasn't for all of the work to change it over and the fact I spent $27.00 on a 3688 remote, I would go back to the 3618. The only thing I can say that I am really satisfied with is that the 922 remote does not interfere with the operation of the 3688 like it did with the 3618.

Neil,

I just figured out how to delete the unwanted channels all at once.

1. Go into to channel manager, then favorites.
2. Mark all of the channels you want to keep as a "favorite."
3. Go into channel manager, press delete, then arrow down to "delete all non favorite," press OK. This will delete the unwanted channels all at once and save the wanted (favorite) ones.

I tested this on the radio side, and yes this IS this way to delete unwanted channels with one press of the button and keep the channels you want. :yes

Jim the manuel was useless! you know lots and lots got lost in the translation. sorry but everything i learned about the 3688 i learned by trial and error.

neil_kc1 said:
Jim the manuel was useless! you know lots and lots got lost in the translation. sorry but everything i learned about the 3688 i learned by trial and error.

I know what you mean, the manual for the 3618 wasn't good enough to be used in the bathroom. I learned it by trial and error, guess I'll learn this one the same way. If I come up with anything interesting I will post it. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Starz

Use Fortec Lifetime Ultra for C-BAND Mpeg2(DVB)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)