30" Hot Dish......flaw in unit (for cold weather people)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I don't know if this has happened to others

I got a new 30" "Hot Dish" dish for FTA. It was new in the box, and has been on the roof for a year now (in the MN winter)

Noticed this the other day...Looks like when rain hit the arm, it makes it expand when it gets cold. Hopefully it holds up during the heat :)

1st picture is the part closest to the LNB
2nd picture is the part closest to the dish

anybody else have this issue?

Last edited:
That looks like a poorly made product, I notice that the powder coat (paint?) is cracking and the arm is rusting. I guess I wont be buying a hotdish any time soon.

drhydro

I was able to get a good deal on it when I first got into FTA. I did not know about the different dishes.

It still holds up..but I dont want to see what happens when it gets warm and that melts

iceberg,
luckily i was able to ask this awesome forum its opinion on dishs before i bought mine, but i dont think that option was open to you a year + ago........many thanks to all of you ( PSBf, Iceberg, Maddawg and others) who replied to my questions on what was the "best" dish, we have had some horrible weather this winter (very high winds - 60 MPH+, and a severe ice storm this last weekend) and my winegard that all of you recommened is holding up great.

Never had a problem with the Hotdish its amazing value for money, the only problem I have had is when I first started using the bigger dish I used to really horse the four bolts up on the reflector! I have since learned there is no need to do this and it can pull the reflector out of shape!

The above picture is from an older design of Hotdish and this manufacturing design flaw has been fixed : )

Looks like freeze damage from water inside arm.
I would drill a small hole at the low point to drain the water. The damage will continue to get worse with repeated freeze - thaw cycles until the tube splits and drains itself.

drhydro said:
iceberg,
luckily i was able to ask this awesome forum its opinion on dishs before i bought mine, but i dont think that option was open to you a year + ago........many thanks to all of you ( PSBf, Iceberg, Maddawg and others) who replied to my questions on what was the "best" dish, we have had some horrible weather this winter (very high winds - 60 MPH+, and a severe ice storm this last weekend) and my winegard that all of you recommened is holding up great.

Youre welcome :)

nope...until about May of this year, there were just a few of us posting FTA stuff in the general Satellite area....now we have a home :)

PSB said:
Never had a problem with the Hotdish its amazing value for money, the only problem I have had is when I first started using the bigger dish I used to really horse the four bolts up on the reflector! I have since learned there is no need to do this and it can pull the reflector out of shape!

The above picture is from an older design of Hotdish and this manufacturing design flaw has been fixed : )

I did that too Pete :)

Thanks for the info that it is an older dish

Dave C said:
Looks like freeze damage from water inside arm.
I would drill a small hole at the low point to drain the water. The damage will continue to get worse with repeated freeze - thaw cycles until the tube splits and drains itself.

well, lets see

I live in MN and other than the one day when it got to 50, it hasnt been above 32 for over a month or so :) So it isnt going to drain anytime soon

I have a replacement on order and should be getting it soon

If you do keep it treat it like a car. Sand, rust convert, prime, paint, paint second coat. It should get you a few more years.

Iceberg said:
well, lets see

I live in MN and other than the one day when it got to 50, it hasnt been above 32 for over a month or so :) So it isnt going to drain anytime soon

I have a replacement on order and should be getting it soon

Well, got the part yesterday from DMSI. Went out on the ladder and took the dish down and took out that piece. Filled my kitchen sink full of hot water and dropped the piece in it. After about 20 seconds, out came a piece of ice about 6 inches long and real dirty looking. Put the new piece up and it raised my G10 up to 60 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newbie - intro/LNB questions

FTA in Central America

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts