Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
got a couple SWM setup questions for y'all

I've got a SWM3 setup. My neighbor decided to cancel D* and go with cable (god knows why)...anywho last night they asked me if I wanted to the dish (its a townhouse complex so its about 10 feet from my "dish farm") so I figured "sure"

They have a SWM5....so if I swap their LNB and put it on my setup would I need to repeak the dish or should 110/119 fall into place? (I dont need a SWM5 but would like one .....just because)

2nd question is on the SWM power inserter/splitter. Right now the cable goes into the power inserter then out to the splitter. I know I can put the PI after the splitter and near a receiver (which would work better to put it near the HD receiver in the bedroom. Where it is now in the main room I've got too many items and am short 1 plugin). I know there is one output on that splitter that you have to use but for the life of me I can't see which one. In pics its shows as red but there isnt. Also checked the splitter itself and see no "power passing" diagram on it. So which port is it? or is it just trial and error?

Thanks guys!

swaping the lnb you should just have to reconfigure your boxes for sl5 and get all the extra channels you are missing from 119. If you are using MVR make sure the lnb is green lable if not then the main spliter should be. As for your power suply if its green lable you can put it any place . power passing is a red center . if the pw is not green labe leave it at its location

You may need to do a little tweaking, but not much.

I'm not using MRV

My old :rolleyes: eyes must be deceiving me because I did find the "power passing diagram" on the splitter. Right now the PI and splitter are behind the main entertainment center
LNB--------------PI----short cable----splitter

The HD receiver in the bedroom is the output the diagram shows as power passing. So I should be able to hook the PI in the bedroom by the receiver in there?

Assuming your dish was pointed properly to start with you will not need to do anything to get the 119/110 in as both a 3 and 5 lnb are tuned in using the 101.

As far as the power passing port goes, every swm splitter I have seen has one red out port and the others are white (newer ones replaced the white w/orange).
Also, they all have a diagram on then showing the power passing port. If neither is available, take a cable toner and hook power supply to the "in" and the power passing port will give a tone where the others will not.

I'm not using MRV

My old :rolleyes: eyes must be deceiving me because I did find the "power passing diagram" on the splitter. Right now the PI and splitter are behind the main entertainment center
LNB--------------PI----short cable----splitter

The HD receiver in the bedroom is the output the diagram shows as power passing. So I should be able to hook the PI in the bedroom by the receiver in there?

Yes

Assuming your dish was pointed properly to start with you will not need to do anything to get the 119/110 in as both a 3 and 5 lnb are tuned in using the 101.

yeah the numbers are good ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/236028-upgrading-hd-couple-questions.html#post2406919

As far as the power passing port goes, every swm splitter I have seen has one red out port and the others are white (newer ones replaced the white w/orange).
Also, they all have a diagram on then showing the power passing port. If neither is available, take a cable toner and hook power supply to the "in" and the power passing port will give a tone where the others will not.
I found the diagram on the splitter. But cant change it now (recording stuff) ;)

no we went through this already
2 KU dishes
a D* slimline
2 6 foot dishes. One fixed and one ghetto moved :)

well that was weird.
Unhooked the PI and jumper wire in the living room and hokoed the cable from the LNB directly to the splitter
Went in computer room where HD receiver is and unplugged everything. Hooked up PI to receiver in there and powered everything back on. It went thorough setup and downloaded guide but about 1/3 of my channels were missing including locals (all of them). Checked sat signals and they're all in the 90's so not that. Rebooted receiver and same thing. Locals still gone (and they are split on 101 & 99) and some other channels. Did another RBR then it worked. All channels back. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problem "Searching for Satellite" on HD

NBC Sound Drop-outs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)