The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
Does your DIRECTV installation need a broadband DECA device? In a few unique circumstances, it might. Before we get into that, let’s first establish what DIRECTV broadband DECA is. It’s a device that connects your DIRECTV system to the internet, which provides on demand programming, enhanced search functions, and interactive TV features. These days, the broadband DECA is considered older technology that’s being replaced by newer DIRECTV equipment. That said, there are still some uses for this unique DIRECTV satellite TV accessory. Broadband DECA Use No. 1: Bad Location Wired Ethernet is the most reliable way to connect devices, but not everyone has the proper jack in their living room. In other cases, an entertainment center’s...
Every so often, our customer service reps get someone from the continental 48 states who wants to buy the DIRECTV Alaska/Hawaii dish. We won’t stop you from doing it. We don’t sell it as a kit, but you’re perfectly capable of buying the LNB, reflector, and mount for it. We’ll ship it to the lower 48 if you really want it. There’s no law against it. Yet, I’ve been telling you for almost ten years that you shouldn’t do it. I’ve even reprinted an article back in 2017 that goes into exhausting detail as to why you shouldn’t do it. But, it seems that occasionally interest in this dish flares up again. I think that there’s probably been a user forum post or something encouraging people to get the Alaska/Hawaii dish. So, as a public service...
Talk to someone about splitters, and they’re likely to go one of two ways. (You could say that opinion is split.) Some will say that with digital signals, splitting really isn’t that big of a deal. You’re introducing some noise as a result of the splitter itself, and you’re cutting the signal level down. Both of these can be dealt with by using a low-noise amplifier. Other folks will say that by splitting the signal you are losing something that you are never getting back. They will tell you that you should only use the smallest possible splitter and simplify your installations as much as possible. Turns out both sides are right For those who say that splitting isn’t much of a big deal, they’re right. For those who say you’re losing...
Let’s say you found this article because you own an RV park. You know it’s not the same as other types of rental ownership. It’s a big chunk of land and maintaining the services for every space can be rough. It takes a lot of work and it’s a full time job. Even when you have everything running smoothly, there’s always the possibility that your tenant will just up and drive away. You can’t say that about traditional apartments or even other forms of manufactured housing. So, you’re always thinking of ways that you can add services without adding a hassle to yourself. Well, I have a great one. Satellite TV for RV parks Why not give every space an option for live satellite TV? It’s a crowd-pleaser, even today. Giving people dozens of...
Is DIRECTV good in bad weather? Of course it is, but we’re still happy to share these tips to help prevent DIRECTV signal loss in snow or rain. DIRECTV service interruption is a typical concern for many people considering getting satellite TV. If you’ve never had satellite TV, it’s natural to wonder if DIRECTV weather interruption is a factor to consider. For the most part, signal loss isn’t a huge problem. If you do experience poor TV reception in bad weather, it’s usually due to snow or rain. With helpful tips and satellite TV accessories, Signal Connect offers the best DIRECTV bad weather solutions. We’re here to make sure that when you want DIRECTV, bad weather won’t be a problem. DIRECTV: Snow on Dish If you have DIRECTV...
Here’s a question that comes straight from our help desk. A customer contacted us and asked, Honestly, this gives me the opportunity to set the record straight on a lot of stuff. The customer got their answer and I think it’s good to share that answer with the rest of the internet. There’s a lot to dig into here. There is no “SD Satellite for DIRECTV.” It’s true that the majority of the HD and 4K programming for DIRECTV is on satellites at the 99 and 103 location. The majority of SD programming is on the satellite at the 101 location. However, that satellite is not an “SD Satellite.” The active satellites for DIRECTV are all capable of providing programming in SD, HD, and 4K. DIRECTV has been actively discontinuing...
I’ve been a satellite TV customer for over 20 years at this point, and I’ve been paying one company or another for TV since the mid-1980s. I’ve been streaming shows since about 2012, although obviously I didn’t do very much of it back then. These days, I find that in many cases I have the option of choosing whether to watch something by recording it on my satellite DVR or watch it through a streaming service. So this brings up a very valid question: should I beam it or stream it? Here’s the way I decide. First question: Is it better quality on one service or another? There are cases when I get better quality from satellite. Sports is a big one. I’ll get a clean 4K HDR feed from DIRECTV with no buffering, ever. I also get almost...
Take a look on this blog for articles about Spaun multiswitches. You’ll notice that over the years I’ve written a few. The sad thing is that I wrote an article all the way back in 2015 recommending that Spaun users should start looking for alternatives. That article is so old that the replacements I recommended for Spaun products are, themselves, obsolete and no longer made. That should tell you something if you’re still holding on to a Spaun product at this point. Quickly: the Spaun story Spaun was a German manufacturer of satellite TV equipment back in the 2000s. They gained popularity among marine engineers for two reasons. First, their products were very well built. Second, you could use them for satellite TV systems from many...
I’ve said it many times on this blog. If you want to get into the world of antennas, you need to understand that it is as much an art as a science. You start with all the technical stuff, and that gives you a good basis for choosing and aiming an antenna. Then, the real world takes over and sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Going with the flow doesn’t mean ignoring all the science, but it does mean that all the planning in the world will only take you so far. There is so much in the real world of antennas that can change due to very tiny forces, and you have to adapt. Looking at part of the science f you’ve hung around antennas or satellite systems, you might have heard the term wind load. Put simply, this term describes...
I have a special place in my heart for character actors. It’s only intensified due to the recent strikes in Hollywood. There are, arguably, about 100 actors who make millions and millions of dollars. Thousands more are recognizable but have never had a starring role. They’re more likely to be known as “that guy who was in that thing.” These are the people who go from show to show, or movie to movie, reliably playing a similar role over and over so that they big stars can shine. Few of us know their names but the work they do is legendary. IMDB This is James Hong. He’s finally starting to get recognized for his work. It’s about time. He’s appeared in 455 movies and shows, everything from M*A*S*H to Blade Runner to Seinfeld to...
Hey TV fans, see if this You turn on the TV and get nothing but static or the dreaded “Searching for signal…” message. Even worse, you could just have a blue or black screen on your TV. What can you do? Don’t fret, the problem has to be somewhere and the first step is figuring out where it lies. The steps you need to take For best results you’ll need some sort of signal meter. If you’re diagnosing an antenna problem, a simple signal finder will work, but you can step up to a serious meter if you want. Problems with a round satellite dish are easy to diagnose with an inexpensive meter but for HD dishes, you’ll need something serious there too. The way you do it. Once you’re ready with your meter, here’s what you do: test the signal...
The world has changed an awful lot since this blog was started. It’s amazing to think that when this blog was founded, Google had only been part of our lives for a handful of years. There were still a lot of people who were on dial-up. Streaming didn’t exist, but Blockbuster Video did. Every so often I like to look through the Archives section of this blog and see how things have changed. A little bit of history The Solid Signal Blog was founded in 2007. Personally, I took over the reins in 2012, and I’ve tried to uphold a certain standard. I try to give you the best content on the web for satellite, cellular, and antenna enthusiasts, plus a healthy dose of fun and games so you don’t completely fall asleep. I guess the guy before me...
Our Signal Connect division is known worldwide for providing great customer service to luxury yachts. That’s no exaggeration. We’ve outfitted some of the largest luxury yachts in the world with satellite TV service. In fact no one on Earth has done more marine satellite activations than we have. It’s one of the reasons DIRECTV called us their Commercial Dealer of the Year in 2021. Folks coming into port know that they can call us and we’ll get equipment out to them quickly when it’s needed. But, there’s just no substitute for having someone on site. That’s why Dave Ross and Essa Alijelat from our marine team have been spending a lot of time at some of the country’s most popular ports of call. Now, we’re proud to announce that we have a...
DIRECTV residential customers typically enjoy their satellite TV service without any problems or interruptions. Every now and again, these subscribers might experience a connection issue. In most cases, these are small issues that can be resolved rather quickly. You just need to know how. That’s where Signal Connect comes in. We’re your DIRECTV experts, and we offer free DIRECTV technical support to anyone who calls us. In this installment, we show you how to fix five common connection problems with your DIRECTV residential account. If you have DIRECTV residential service, here is a list of common connection issues and how to fix them: PROBLEM 1: No Picture or Sound Did you turn your DIRECTV on only to get nothing? It happens...

Latest posts