The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
Here at The Solid Signal Blog we’ve talked a lot about antenna towers and why you might just want one. I get it, you never thought of yourself as a serious hobbyist. Still you might just want a tower to make sure you’re getting the best possible signal for your antenna, satellite, and cellular equipment. You may not know what tower you need, so let’s ask: How tall should your antenna tower be? First: what is a tower anyway? A tower is pretty easy to define… you know it when you see it. But people ask me what the difference between a mast and a tower is, and I would say that it comes down to the permanence of the thing. A tripod is a temporary installation. Even if you, personally, bolt it to the roof or set it in concrete, tripods...
A few months ago, I told you that the Showtime streaming app was going away, to be replaced by a more expensive version of Paramount+. That meant DIRECTV and DISH customers who were getting the app for free with a subscription would lose that benefit. There are few details to share, but it looks like DIRECTV at least will be offering subscribers access to the Paramount+ app with a subscription. No word yet if DISH will follow suit. Let’s take a deeper dive As of today, the programming service known as Showtime is now known as Paramount+ with Showtime. It’s a bit of a mouthful, but no matter. The good news here is that if you are a current Showtime subscriber you’ll get more value. Paramount+ content will be coming to those channels...
People come to SolidSignal.com to get “the best” equipment, the stuff professional installers use. And, one of the most common things people do when expanding their home entertainment system is make cables. It’s only fair then to ask, “What’s the best RG6 connector.” It’s a loaded question Of course there are a lot of choices out there and there are a lot of different uses for RG6 connectors. Before I mention two brands in particular, I’d like to give a shoutout to Digicon, Antennas Direct, Eagle Aspen, Amphenol RF, Thomas&Betts, and other companies who make excellent quality connectors that will work very well for pretty much every need. It’s not completely fair to single out two brands, but I’m going to do it anyway. If you’ve...
Since their release, the DIRECTV Gemini for Satellite and Gemini Air have been some of the biggest hits we’ve had at Solid Signal in years. Customers with satellite dishes love the Gemini for Satellite for its power, speed, and the ability to run apps. The Gemini Air is a hit for streaming customers who want the power of a traditional remote control combined with the modern streaming lifestyle. Of course folks love it at home, so they naturally ask how they can make it work for their businesses. Unfortunately, there’s some bad news there. You can’t use a Gemini in your business, and there are several reasons. When it comes to Gemini, it’s a home-only product. The rules for businesses are different, and the way DIRECTV interprets them...
Even though a boat is surrounded by water, that’s no protection against an on board fire. Whether you captain a yacht or working vessel, you can’t afford a fire to break out on your ship. Many marine experts say that once the flames take hold on the craft, it can be difficult to extinguish it. The flames soon become a blaze that destroys your boat. This is why fire prevention training is key. Signal Connect consulted fire safety experts to provide this list of safety essentials for boat captains. Marine Fire Protection Standards Fire prevention is preferable to firefighting because it stops the flames before they happen. The key to fire prevention is making sure everyone on your boat has the proper safety training. This training...
Let’s say your daughter is on TV. The six-year-old is recorded by a news crew at the opening of some local tourist attraction. Of course you record it on your DVR and never delete it. But what happens when that DVR eventually fails? When it comes to most DVRs, you can’t just transfer the file to some other device. Only DISH allows this and the recording only works as long as you have basically compatible equipment. That’s not a great way to keep something forever. If you leave DISH, or if you upgrade your hardware past a certain point, you lose the recording. In the past the answer was easy — put it on a VHS tape. In the 20th century everyone had these and a VHS tape was going to be good for about 7-10 years before it started to...
.I know some folks who are into their twelfth year with the same DVR. That’s pretty extreme, but throughout the pay-TV industry six-year-old DVRs are common. At Solid Signal we still offer the HR24 DVR. It was first rolled out in 2010 and I have every confidence that a lot of those early production models are still out there. Is there any magic to keeping a DVR healthy all those years? It’s all automatic There is actually a lot of maintenance built into keeping your DVR’s hard drive working at peak efficiency. The good news is that you don’t have to do any of it. It’s all part of every modern computer, and because your DVR is really nothing more than a special-purpose PC with a bunch of special-purpose parts, it’s built in there too...
According to a recent article at The AV Club, Pixar is putting its 2020 streaming-only films back on the theatrical slate for this year. The article praises this move, saying these films deserve to be seen on the big screen and it’s not like Pixar was able to produce anything last year anyway due to the strikes. So yes, I will agree in general with those points. But, it brings up the bigger question of whether or not any film truly needs a theatrical release with today’s home theater tech, and whether or not theatrical success is even a good way to gauge the overall success of a film. So, here’s my argument. The stench of desperation Since most theaters opened back up in 2021, the entertainment industry has been desperate to convince...
This is it… the big finish. Let’s wrap up our series on antenna terminology with a bang! Only five letters left! VHF-HIGH VHF-High describes the range of channels from 7 through 13, at 147-216MHz. If you do need an antenna that gets VHF frequencies, it probably only needs to pick these ones up. There are a few areas of the country where you will definitely need an antenna that picks up channels 2-6. If you’re not sure what you need, call the experts at Solid Signal. WIRELESS RECEPTION Obviously the point of using an antenna is to avoid running a wire from the television production site. Cable TV distribution is all wired, of course, but even cable companies will use antennas and satellite dishes to get their signal rather than run...
Looking for instructions for an older DIRECTV receiver? Check them out here. If you still watch a lot of standard-definition channels, you’ll be happy to know that there are some very powerful features built into your DIRECTV Genie system. You have ultimate power to make the picture fill the screen just the way you like. You have the power to change the output resolution and format of the standard definition channels you watch. HD channels come in just as the broadcaster sends them, unless you’re using an older tube television. There are two different things you can change: Resolution Generally this number is set as high as possible, usually to 1080i. This is the highest resolution that normal HDTVs can output. If you have a 4K TV...
February 16-22, 1980 This week Ken welcomes musician, author and man behind the new lp “Ghosts of Vroom III”, Mike Doughty. Ken and Mike discuss how 1980 was a good poignant television year in Mike’s life, being a military kid, how a year of no Mork & Mindy leads to a year of no TV at all, The American Forces Network, the outro credit song on WKRP in Cincinnati, finding out what music you like from Sitcoms, Angel Witch, the consistency of television, moving a lot, how we’d all be better off as accountants, the exciting and elusive world of commercials, Zapping your Zinger, living in Germany, specific PSAs made for AFN by the original cast of SNL, how TV reporters made the world worse by trying to sign off impressively, The...
I spent way too much in the last month on presents. I bet you did too. But when I look at things in perspective, what I spent pales in comparison to what my parents spent close to 50 years ago. $200 was a lot of money For $200 in 1977 you could make a car payment on a luxury car. You could pay the better parts of a month’s rent in a lot of places. Or, you could get your kids an Atari. This was the Atari Video Computer System. We tend to call it the Atari 2600, although it wouldn’t be known by that name for about another half-decade. By today’s standards, it’s far beyond primitive. Seriously this was what one of the hot games looked like at the time: These were some of the most advanced graphics ever seen on a computer system at...
Does your car offer Android Auto? What about CarPlay? Chances are you’re familiar with this technology, which leverages your phone to give you the latest and greatest user interface. It makes it easy for people to move from car to car and keep familiar settings. It may not be as flashy as some of the systems from luxury car makers — yet — but it’s reliable and familiar, and both systems get regular updates. So, back in 2014, why did I worry that systems like this could be a colossally dumb idea? I’m far less worried about it ten years later, and here’s what we’ve all learned in the meantime: Most manufacturers who offer one also offer the other. My biggest worry was that if you bought a car with Android Auto, you’d never be able to...
Reprinted with permission from the weBoost blog. As we step into 2024, it’s time to embrace new beginnings and smarter solutions, especially in how we stay connected. For many, a significant challenge lies in ensuring strong cell signal in metal buildings – a common yet often overlooked issue. This New Year, let’s resolve to tackle this problem head-on, promising not just a year of stronger cell signal, but also enhanced productivity, seamless communication, and reduced frustration. Let’s reveal how to boost cell signal in a metal building, once and for all. The challenge of metal buildings Metal buildings can house a lot of different types of businesses. From auto garages to storage facilities, portable offices, and even retail...