The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
DISH’s Hopper 3 is one of the most capable DVRs available for any pay TV platform. At this point, it’s been around for a while, but I can’t imagine a scenario where you’d need more than 16 recording tuners at once. If you do, it’s possible to use two Hopper 3s in a home for a total of 32 recording tuners and 12 rooms. That’s generally enough to satisfy most folks. But what about using one in your RV? For a while, it seemed like that was impossible. After all, Hopper 3 requires a Hybrid dish, and there are hundreds of thousands of older RVs that don’t have them. Not only that, most newer RV dishes don’t use hybrid technology either. So what can you do if you want one in your RV? The good news: it can be done There’s a simple solution...
The Solid Signal Blog is your resource for thousands of articles and reviews, with new content coming every day. 2023 marks our seventeeth year since our humble beginnings, and today over 250,000 people read the blog every month. Every month, the staff gets together and gathers articles that really seem like they have long-term appeal. Here’s the list for August, 2023: NICE AND EASY: How to run a “check switch” on your DISH receiver How long does it take for a Tailgater Pro to start up? How to upgrade or recover your DIRECTV/AT&T AIM Meter Does DIRECTV have a month-to-month plan? Does it matter which way you aim your KING One Pro or Tailgater? THE GREAT DEBATE: SWM-enabled dish or external SWM? PRO TIP: Your computer’s color will help...
Folks, when I first thought of the idea of focusing on 25 things you didn’t know you could get from Signal Connect, I wondered if I’d bitten off more than I could chew. Was it even possible to come up with that many things? Five days later, I’m realizing that I could easily do 25 more services, and maybe I will do that next week. After all, even thought I’ve already brought you part one, part two, part three, and part four in addition to today’s article, I could easily go on quite a bit longer. For the last article of the series (so far) I’d like to focus on the kind of services we offer businesses that you just never thought in your wildest dreams that we offer. #16: our nationwide installer network Signal Group has offices in...
Well, friends, this particular article is going to be a little personal. As we get older, we tend to look back on the things from our youth that we didn’t value while we had them. It’s the reason that antiques of all types are so valuable. There’s something about looking at a thing you used to own that warms the heart even though that thing is probably not as good as what you have now. It’s why you’ll pay $500 for a restored Atari 2600, even though there was a time not long ago you couldn’t give them away. It’s why people seek out vintage GI Joes or little red wagons. For me, I couldn’t help but smile when I saw a listing on pricalion.com for a Sylvania CQ-3739. All of the photos from in this article come from that listing, unless...
Mobile technology is a big part of our daily lives, especially in the 21st century. Various gadgets like phones and tablets are not simple tools; they help us connect with people worldwide. These devices changed how we talk, work, and get information. How? They have destroyed all the barriers between virtual and real lives. With this article, you can learn how to walk through the complex cellular world without any difficulties. We will talk about the improvement and evolution of mobile technology, operating systems, and future trends that will be helpful for everyone. Whether you’re new to this field or an expert doesn’t matter. Join us, and let’s dive into this world with confidence! Smartphone Features and Functions: Explore the...
If you’ve been blissfully rolling down the road in your RV these past ten years, you might have heard some nasty rumors. Satellite TV, they say, isn’t going to be possible in an RV fairly soon. The party’s over, they say. You aren’t worried, but you remember the days when your RV got over-the-air TV. Those days are gone… does that mean satellite TV is next? The real story Here’s the absolute truth: DIRECTV is actively turning off standard definition local channels. A lot of RVs don’t have dishes that can get the high definition versions of these channels. However, there are four things you need to know here. The issue only affects people with DIRECTV. DISH customers are completely unaffected. DIRECTV stopped taking orders for new...
If you’ve been reading along this week, we’ve been sharing the services Signal Connect offers that you might not have known about. If you want to go back and re-read part one, part two, or part three, you’ll probably be pretty amazed by everything you can get under one roof. Up until now, we’ve focused mostly on services you were probably a little aware of. After all, Signal Connect is known for satellite, antenna, and cellular solutions. But, there’s so much more to us. We’re able to help with virtually every aspect of your enterprise. We have a team ready to go. We’ll plan your system out, create implementation schedules, bills of materials, and everything you need. We’ll even assemble the team and make sure it all goes together...
What you see above you is DIRECTV’s SWM-16 multiswitch. It’s been around a long time. Back when I was affiliated with another site, I helped produce this PDF review, which I have hosted here since it’s no longer hosted there. That was 14 years ago. The SWM-16 multiswitch was a real step forward for DIRECTV, allowing up to 16 receivers or a mix of DVRs and receivers that added up to 16 tuners. All devices could talk to each other, enabling sharing programs between 2-tuner DVRs. As an upgrade to the SWM-8 multiswitch, it added capability while being an easy inline swap. Of course all that was years ago and technology moves on. If you still have this multiswitch, it’s time to think about a change. Here’s why. All SWM-16s ever made are...
All the way from the UK, this week Ken welcomes writer, poet, and television producer Henry Normal to the show. Ken and Henry discuss his tea just arriving, what builders drink, Baby Cow, how being a poet was essentially the same as being a stand up in the UK, The UK’s alt comedy revolution, Craig Charles, selling merch, punk rock, American stand up comedy, class based society, character comedy, Jack Benny, vaudeville, The Max Brothers, Mort Saul, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Working Men’s Clubs, bad blue collar, racism, Dave Allen, Monty Python, Spike Milligan, not punching down, The Comedy Store, Manchester, nightmare gigs, The Black and White Minstrel Show, competing with slot machines, touring with Pulp, The Mock Turtles, Steve...
One of the things I love about this blog is that I get the questions no one else gets. Here’s one that came across my desk recently: I set out to answer this question in a way that (hopefully) no one else has. About the Android TV operating system Android TV is a version of the same Android operating system that runs the majority of phones all over the world. It’s a very open, customizable system and that’s led to problems with malware in the past. One of the unique features about Android that its primary competitor, Apple’s iOS and TvOS, doesn’t have, is the ability to load apps right on the phone without any sort of safety check. For those who really want to, it’s a fairly good way to spread all sorts of bad stuff. I’ve recently...
Here’s a frank discussion of that big game and what it really does mean. Shop Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV and DISH Network satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies and accessories for everything you need and call Signal Connect at 888-233-7563 for the best in customer service. “Super Bowl” refers to a copyrighted broadcast and event owned by the NFL, and no endorsement by the NFL is implied by its use. Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following: Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser. If you use the YouTube player above, be sure to subscribe to get future videos delivered to you! Option 2: The Solid Signal Podcast is available on...
If you’ve been reading along with part one and part two of this series, you’re beginning to see how Solid Signal is more than just a great web site. (Although, we are a great web site.) Today let’s focus on some of our key partners. We offer sales and support for some of the most important brands in the communications industry. You don’t need to call anywhere else. We’ve got you covered. If you want to know more about the great products and services you can get from Signal Connect, it’s easy! Call us at 888-233-7563 if it’s during East Coast business hours. Or, simply fill out the form below. If you want to know even more, check out SignalConnect.com for the full experience! You’ll be amazed by all the things we’re able to offer you...
DISH’s hardware selection has been pretty stable for a few years, but that hasn’t always been the case. In the 2000s, DISH experimented with several different options looking for a solution that worked for everyone. The 622 and 722 DVRs were the absolute pinnacle of DISH’s first-generation HD DVRs. The third member of its family, the ViP922, was not well received at all, but the ViP622 and ViP722 still enjoy a loyal following today. What made these DVRs special The HD DVRs from other providers at the time would let you output to multiple TVs, but the 622/722 went further than that. One single box would let you watch two different programs on two different TVs. Only one could be high definition, but most folks at the time were ok with...
This week, we’re talking about our Signal Connect division. While most people know Solid Signal from our web site, we have a full-service group who are dedicated to making sure that customers large and small get what they need. Our sales engineers and technicians have planned some of the largest tech installs in the country. We have a customer list full of A-listers in business, entertainment, and government. But, we don’t just handle the cream of the crop. We’re here to help everyone get the service they deserve. If you want to know more, call us at 888-233-7563, fill out the form below, or visit SignalConnect.com. Without further ado, here are five more services you didn’t know Signal Connect can offer you. If you want to know about...