Watch Dogs Trailer With Release Date

Pre-ordering has never really been about ensuring that I get a copy. GameStop might not order enough but I have just about always been able to pick up a copy of any game at Target/Walmart on day one no matter how huge of a release. For established franchises that I absolutely knew I was going to buy like COD games I would sometimes preorder if there was some incentive like DLC for doing it. They would usually include an extra map and maybe an exclusive gun if you preordered and I know I'm getting it to play with my friends every year so it makes sense to take the free bonus.

For most games I don't think the risk is worth the bonus and I get most of my new releases from gamefly anyways. What I don't like is games that make a million different preorder bonuses depending on which store you buy from. They are just taking content out of the base game to make these exclusive retailer preorder bonuses and there is no way to get everything.

I just got the email that my copy of Watch Dogs has been shipped. Gamefly always ships the day before a game releases. I thought Memorial Day was going to push this one back but I'm glad to see that they just sent it early instead. I already have the option to keep it for $44.99 as a used copy even though I will be the first one to use it. That's definitely not a bad way to buy new released games. I have $10 of Gamefly credit towards used games too with $5 of it expiring today. I don't really want to buy this game but if I did that would bring the total down to $34.99 for a highly anticipated game like Watch Dogs.

I just got the email that my copy of Watch Dogs has been shipped. Gamefly always ships the day before a game releases. I thought Memorial Day was going to push this one back but I'm glad to see that they just sent it early instead. I already have the option to keep it for $44.99 as a used copy even though I will be the first one to use it. That's definitely not a bad way to buy new released games. I have $10 of Gamefly credit towards used games too with $5 of it expiring today. I don't really want to buy this game but if I did that would bring the total down to $34.99 for a highly anticipated game like Watch Dogs.
I got my email notification as well. I didn't think of the Memorial day issue. I just thought, "Cool, they finally learned that it takes too long for games to arrive and they're shipping early!"

Review embargo is lifted. Looks like overall almost everyone is praising the game.

Key word there being "almost." A quick look at Metacritic showed a rather large number of negative user reviews. I looked at some of them and it appears that this game is NOT good on the PC. Very unoptomized, buggy, and ugly because everyone has to run on lower settings. I'm curious to see how the PS3 version looks. Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.

Review embargo is lifted. Looks like overall almost everyone is praising the game.

Key word there being "almost." A quick look at Metacritic showed a rather large number of negative user reviews. I looked at some of them and it appears that this game is NOT good on the PC. Very unoptomized, buggy, and ugly because everyone has to run on lower settings. I'm curious to see how the PS3 version looks. Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, I watched the video review on IGN and checked out Metacritic. It looks like the overall reception is positive. I'm looking forward to playing it this weekend when Gamefly finally gets it to me.

It would be nice if they would start mailing them sooner than a day before release. It typically takes 4-5 days for me to get games from them. Netflix was able to get me a movie the day after I would get the email notification saying they had shipped it. If I put a movie in the return mail on Monday my next one would be waiting for me when I got home from work on Wednesday. A big part of this is that Netflix has a distribution center an hour away in Detroit while my Gamefly distribution center is about a 5 hour drive to Pittsburgh.

Still I don't believe that this is all the Postal Service's fault. Netflix has to be doing something that's more efficient than Gamefly. According to the Postal Service's website first class mail is supposed to take 1-3 business days. Gamefly routinely takes 5 and the fastest I have seen is 4. If they are going to be so slow they could at least ship earlier but then I suppose people who live in Pittsburgh or other distribution center cities might get games before release date.

Yeah Pittsburgh blows. It's not uncommon for me to take nearly 5 days to get my games either, which sucks for a damn 7 hour car ride. Hopefully I'll get it before Friday.

One thing I miss is multi-platform reviews. Everyone seems to just have reviewed the PS4 version. Sorry, but not everyone has a PS4, and arguably the last gen consoles will have more players than the current gen. I'd like to know if there's any significant differences in the versions, and how the last gen ones perform. Maybe some info on the PC version would be nice to see if EVERYONE is experiencing issues, or if it's just a very vocal minority (if there's one thing PC gamers are, subtle is not it.)

Interesting glitches found in the game. Some of these are really embarrassing, like the train stopping on a dime and the way the poles collapse..

I just read in the PS forums about game breaking bugs on the PS3/4 as well, apparently caused by accessing bonus uPlay content for the game.

I just read in the PS forums about game breaking bugs on the PS3/4 as well, apparently caused by accessing bonus uPlay content for the game.

Well, I think this was to be expected. Not that there's problems because of uPlay, but there being problems in general. Hopefully they'll be patched in due time.

I have been trying to go into this game with as few preformed opinions as possible. I haven't watched any video for it outside of trailers and IGN's video review. I decided to watch these videos to see if anything looked game-breaking though.

GTA-style open world games always seem to have the strangest glitches. I'm not saying that obvious things like the train stopping shouldn't have been caught but they never seem to be able to test every inch of these worlds. I think I have been stuck in a glitched area I wasn't supposed to be able to access in every GTA game I have played.

I will say that the pole collisions with the truck looked ridiculous though. There is nothing "next-gen" about that. GTA V on PS3 had destruction that looked far more believable than that when you crashed into stuff. inFamous Second Son's particle effect's and world destruction put those collisions to shame.

Still, if the game is fun I can overlook some wonky open world physics. It's still disappointing that they couldn't give us a higher level of polish after all these months of delays.

I think the uPlay stuff will probably be sorted out by the time I get my rental copy later this week. It sounds like their authentication server got hit hard enough to effect all the games that rely on uPlay, not just Watch Dogs. These publishers continue to take the cheap route and never have enough server capacity to meet launch day demand. Apparently they feel that a couple days of trouble while they are getting slammed at launch is better than investing in more capacity that won't be needed after launch.

Well, whatever part of me that would have gone out and bought this game at the mall this weekend on PS3 for $60 in response to all the hype and anticipation has officially died.

This made me laugh...

swdnvyshdv5e5atf9uqb.gif

Wow... some of these issues are really embarrassing.. I mean it's not like Ubisoft is new to this.. they've been making Assassin's Creed games since 2007 and have made open world Far Cry games since 2008. This reeks of a badly managed/developed project. I seriously doubt that extra 6 months of development was to "polish" the game. It also is rather annoying that the graphics got a significant downgrade as well, as this was touted as a real "Next-Gen" open world game. I'm not one to say that graphics reign supreme, but I do get suspicious when I see a major release like this come out that A: Looks significantly worse than when it was unveiled, and B: Has the sort of visual inconsistencies I would expect in a Steam Greenlight game.

Okay last bug/bad stuff video (I promise, unless like a SUPER bad one comes out)

Last edited:
Wow... I've spent WAY too much time today looking at various bug/graphic comparison videos. It's like a car crash that I can't turn away from. This game looks BAD on the PS3/360, and OKAY on PS4/One (and YMMV for PC, but pray you have a Nvidia card). As I mentioned I'm getting the PS3 version hopefully sometime before my 3rd child arrives on June 25th. I wasn't expecting TLoU level graphics, but it gets to a level of annoyance on last gen (we can't really call PS4/One/U games next gen if they're all out, as they really are the current generation.) It appears that they had to cut many corners to get this to run on last gen, and it looks like they did it by making everything dark so it didn't have to render everything. Such a thing is not unheard of, with the most famous example being the original Silent Hill and the fog. While it helped add to the atmosphere, it's main "purpose" was to hide the incredibly small draw distance of the PS1. And while lighting can really make the difference in some instances, when you see how it's "supposed" to look it's hard to get behind it. I mean look at this comparison:
svGItnJ.jpg

The PS3 version looks like when you get a game and put the gamma settings all the way down. Maybe this can be adjusted in game, but then I bet there are issues of normal textures being too bright. Also, there's a MAJOR difference in the number of NPCs in current vs past gen, but that can be expected. I'm just so fascinated with this game that in many ways, is starting to turn into a modern train wreck. Oh, and of course there's the Xbox 360 version...

Surprisingly, the more quirks and downfalls I see, the more I want to play this.

Some of the stuff in the last video you posted looks ridiculous. I still can't get over the collision physics and the way the train stops. It looks like the game could have used a lot more polish but I guess they can only delay it so many times and expect people to still care about it.

I'm still looking forward to playing this when my copy gets here. Gamefly may have ridiculously slow shipping times but I do have to give them some credit. They seem to have improved their stock over the last few months. I had to wait a few weeks for The Last of Us, GTA V, and Assassin's Creed 4 but the last several games I wanted were all shipped out to me right at launch. I was able to get Theif, inFamous, and Watch Dogs mailed out on day one even though the last two games had quite a bit of hype behind them.

I do wonder how much of this wonky crap will show up in actual gameplay. I will obviously see some of the issues like everything your car bumps exploding into a million pieces. A lot of the stuff I have seen in these videos came from people obviously trying to do stuff to see issues though. I'm hoping I won't see stuff like that pop up in the course of natural play. I may screw around a bit to recreate some of this stuff but I don't want to see it during missions.

The game reviewed well almost unanimously so I doubt it's a complete pile of trash. I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself.

My copy was waiting for me when I got home from work today. I'll be out of town for the weekend but I'm gonna try to get an hour or two in tonight. Very quick install, maybe 2-3 minutes.

The PS3 version is about a 15 minute install. I'll be trying out the game later as well. Of course for me everything is a drama. First off, due to lack of use, both of my ps3 controllers need to be charged, so I have the ps3 on for the sole purpose of charging the controller. Also, I learned an interesting fun fact today. Did you know you can fit 3 discs into a fat ps3 disc slot? I found this out when I tried to put the game in my system. I saw that there was a disc already in by the blue light so I hit the eject button. Nothing happened. Uh oh.. Not now.. Not today.. Couldn't find any disc listed in the ui. Then after hitting eject a few times I saw a disc peek it's head out like a turtle. Somehow The Notebook got into my system and got partially shattered. Good I thought, now I can stick my game in! Nope! Oh great.. Now the slot is broken. No, the slot wasn't broken, it was still occupied. Then 2 more discs came out! It appears the slot is okay as I was able to put in and install WD, but I guess my days of leaving my ps3 on the floor are over now that the kids have started hanging out in that room more often.

NHL 15

Main Titanfall Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)