NOW IN STOCK: The first ATSC 3.0 converter box at a fair price

Here on this blog we’ve been talking about the next generation of television broadcasting for a decade now. In most of that time, there’s been very little movement. Even recently, it’s seemed like a faraway dream that may never happen. But, here’s the good news– there are a lot of test ATSC 3.0 broadcasts and there’s finally a way for you to check them out for yourself.

This is the ADTH converter box. Chances are, if you’ve been looking for something like this, you’ve heard about it because it’s also offered at a large major retailer. Now it’s available at Solid Signal for the best price online, and it’s one of the lowest priced converter boxes we’ve ever sold.

If you’re not familiar with it…​

This is a small device about the size of a Roku Ultra. It runs a specialized version of the Android TV operating system that doesn’t have streaming apps or any other functions. It only operates as a translator for ATSC 3.0 signals. The device will take in and tune current TV signals as well as the new ATSC 3.0 signals if they are available in your area. And, it does it all at a price about 1/4 of what other devices like this cost. I know you have questions, so here are some answers for you:

What’s in the box?​

ADTHNXTVBOX_1.jpg

The presentation is fairly simple. You get the box, a remote, a power adapter, and a generic HDMI cable. (You can use your own HDMI cable if you want.) It doesn’t come with an antenna or RF cable.

Does this device receive all TV signals?​

IMG_1350.jpg

Yes it does. It receives all signals in your area. I found that the tuner was about as sensitive as any other tuner. It receives all primary channels and subchannels. ATSC 3.0 signals are shown in the guide with the NextGen TV logo and the letters NX. Sorry for the photo here, it was the only way I could capture the guide showing ATSC 3.0 channels.

Is an internet connection required for this box?​

If your local ATSC 3.0 stations are encrypted then you will need an active internet connection to watch them. More and more stations are using encryption because it will eventually be part of the final standard if that ever happens. You can use this box to watch ATSC 1.0 and unencrypted ATSC 3.0 signals without an internet connection.

The box itself has built-in Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet so connection isn’t generally a problem. You’ll want to keep it networked if possible because it will receive regular software updates designed to improve it.

Will this work with older (tube) TVs?​

As it ships, it won’t work with older TVs. You can use an adapter like this one to convert to standard definition but I can’t guarantee it will continue to work as they tighten up content protection.

Will I get 4K over-the-air with this box?​

If there were any 4K broadcasts, you could get them. But there aren’t any right now. The FCC requires that the ATSC 3.0 test channels broadcast the same signal as the ATSC 1.0 channels.

Is there DVR functionality?​

This box will give you a simple, 1-tuner DVR option if you want. You have to opt into their beta updates and supply your own USB external hard drive.

My impressions of this device​

I set out to do a full video review of it, but I found that there are so many good ones out there already it didn’t seem like it was worth it. And, if you’ve come to this page, you’ve probably seen all of them.

When you keep in mind that this is a very budget-friendly device, you tend to really enjoy it. The remote is sort of simple, it’s not “universal” in any way, and some of the functions aren’t well documented. Tuning ATSC 3.0 channels can take a long time depending on your signal strength and the signal itself. But here’s the bottom line: it works. It works quite well once you understand what it’s doing. You can’t beat the price either. Adjusted for inflation, it’s coming in at a lower price than the converter boxes we sold in 2007, and that’s pretty amazing. If you want to in try it out for yourself, I definitely recommend it. It’s going to cost you less than a meal for the family at McDonalds, and that’s pretty impressive.

If you have other questions about this device, call the experts at Solid Signal. We’re here for you at 888-233-7563 during East Coast business hours. If it’s after hours, fill out the form below.

The post NOW IN STOCK: The first ATSC 3.0 converter box at a fair price appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Something that promises to be part of a whole-home or DVR setup seems like a better investment in a world where one TV doesn't cover the household.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)