Need Information & Advice

Arlene

Original poster
May 17, 2024
Texas
I have been with Direct TV for 27 years, but due to the prices going up & up & my hubby close to retiring, I have been looking how to start cutting some costs. I had a DISH rep come by earlier this week & assured me that he could get us on DISH with everything we now have on DTV for $100.00 less per month. At me age I'm not keen on making drastic changes, but everyone I know ( in my age bracket 70+ ) are & have been on DISH for years & are happy with them. So I decided to change to Hopper 3 & 3 Joey 3 units & have an installation scheduled for next week ( May 22nd 2024 ). But I have one concern that will have to be addressed before I can allow the change. So that is what I need information & advice on ASAP. Our house is smallish & my computer ( hardwired desktop ) & router are located in the front far corner of our house & our den with our main TV & Sat. equipment are in the den which is in the back opposite corner of our home. When we got the Genie because of getting a HD TV for what ever reason we have NEVER been able to get a wireless WIFI signal to that area of our house ( built in the 1940's so that should actually help matters as far as signals go ).We initially had a Linkys router & bought their signal extenders to no avail. We upped our internet package to no avail. When our original Genie bit the dust around 3 summers ago & the DTV tech came to install a replacement I told him about the issue of not being able to connect to the internet & trying to get any wiring from our router to the Genie in the Den was not possible, he asked where the router was & if I had a TV & mini Genie in that area & the answer was YES! So he took a look, went to his truck & came back with a little black box called a Connected Home Adapter which was connected to the router on one side & a regular TV cable on the other side & then that was attached to a 3 way splitter to my other 2 TV cables ( one to the TV near the router & the other coming from the satellite to the back of the house. And low & behold I had a hardwired internet connection to the Den & main Genie. So I finally had access to On Demand & when the weather is bad it asks if I want to continue watching when the Sat signal is lost & connects to the internet. But then I realized this hook-up apparently only works with DTV equipment so I am scared that we will run into the same issue with the Hopper 3 & internet. I have been searching the internet the past 2 days for information & finally came cross your site which seems to be current active, so I am hoping that some of you that have DISH or have had DISH in the past can tell me how this problem can be addressed. We did loose our Linkys router ( which we owned ) last year & our internet provider installed one of theirs, so I have no idea what brand it is. But I do know that didn't make any difference in getting a wireless signal to the Den ( in fact I did a test by disconnecting the adapter yesterday & sure enough lost the signal to the den ). So I am hoping that you all can tell me if this will be a problem or not because I don't want to go thru the whole install & find out that we will be in a mess not having internet connected to the new equipment. Thanks in advance!

I have been with Direct TV for 27 years, but due to the prices going up & up & my hubby close to retiring, I have been looking how to start cutting some costs. I had a DISH rep come by earlier this week & assured me that he could get us on DISH with everything we now have on DTV for $100.00 less per month. At me age I'm not keen on making drastic changes, but everyone I know ( in my age bracket 70+ ) are & have been on DISH for years & are happy with them. So I decided to change to Hopper 3 & 3 Joey 3 units & have an installation scheduled for next week ( May 22nd 2024 ). But I have one concern that will have to be addressed before I can allow the change. So that is what I need information & advice on ASAP. Our house is smallish & my computer ( hardwired desktop ) & router are located in the front far corner of our house & our den with our main TV & Sat. equipment are in the den which is in the back opposite corner of our home. When we got the Genie because of getting a HD TV for what ever reason we have NEVER been able to get a wireless WIFI signal to that area of our house ( built in the 1940's so that should actually help matters as far as signals go ).We initially had a Linkys router & bought their signal extenders to no avail. We upped our internet package to no avail. When our original Genie bit the dust around 3 summers ago & the DTV tech came to install a replacement I told him about the issue of not being able to connect to the internet & trying to get any wiring from our router to the Genie in the Den was not possible, he asked where the router was & if I had a TV & mini Genie in that area & the answer was YES! So he took a look, went to his truck & came back with a little black box called a Connected Home Adapter which was connected to the router on one side & a regular TV cable on the other side & then that was attached to a 3 way splitter to my other 2 TV cables ( one to the TV near the router & the other coming from the satellite to the back of the house. And low & behold I had a hardwired internet connection to the Den & main Genie. So I finally had access to On Demand & when the weather is bad it asks if I want to continue watching when the Sat signal is lost & connects to the internet. But then I realized this hook-up apparently only works with DTV equipment so I am scared that we will run into the same issue with the Hopper 3 & internet. I have been searching the internet the past 2 days for information & finally came cross your site which seems to be current active, so I am hoping that some of you that have DISH or have had DISH in the past can tell me how this problem can be addressed. We did loose our Linkys router ( which we owned ) last year & our internet provider installed one of theirs, so I have no idea what brand it is. But I do know that didn't make any difference in getting a wireless signal to the Den ( in fact I did a test by disconnecting the adapter yesterday & sure enough lost the signal to the den ). So I am hoping that you all can tell me if this will be a problem or not because I don't want to go thru the whole install & find out that we will be in a mess not having internet connected to the new equipment. Thanks in advance!
Yes we have a device called a hopper internet connector (hic) that will do what the dtv equipment is doing and allow a hard wired internet connection. There's other solutions as well as dish sells mesh routers to extend your wifi network. Works 100x better than a wifi extender but does cost more. But either way your installer will definitely be able to accommodate your needs. Nothing to worry about.

Yes we have a device called a hopper internet connector (hic) that will do what the dtv equipment is doing and allow a hard wired internet connection. There's other solutions as well as dish sells mesh routers to extend your wifi network. Works 100x better than a wifi extender but does cost more. But either way your installer will definitely be able to accommodate your needs. Nothing to worry about.
Thank-you. Actually I just found info on Wiki How that said that the Hopper 3, Hopper Duo or Hopper with sling receivers have wireless wifi on board so that should be the answer. But I will discuss all of this with the installer 1st & then go from there. It's just hard to make a change after 27 years with a company & being use to their equipment.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have been with Direct TV for 27 years, but due to the prices going up & up & my hubby close to retiring, I have been looking how to start cutting some costs. I had a DISH rep come by earlier this week & assured me that he could get us on DISH with everything we now have on DTV for $100.00 less per month.
First, doubtful the salesperson was from Dish, maybe a local operation.

Second, get the prices in writing, while there are some savings for being a new customer, they are not usually that high between the two companies.

Then check with Dish, either online or call, to see if the prices are correct and include all the fees, Hopper DVR fee for example, one way to make the price look less is not include them.

These local Salespeople only care about the commission (and the install), so are known to lie, DirecTV had the same issues with the salespeople inside Costco, they would say whatever fib they could to get the sale.

First, doubtful the salesperson was from Dish, maybe a local operation.

Second, get the prices in writing, while there are some savings for being a new customer, they are not usually that high between the two companies.

Then check with Dish, either online or call, to see if the prices are correct and include all the fees, Hopper DVR fee for example, one way to make the price look less is not include them.

These local Salespeople only care about the commission (and the install), so are known to lie, DirecTV had the same issues with the salespeople inside Costco, they would say whatever fib they could to get the sale.
The Salesman was probably from a company called Caliber - formerly Dish One. From the OP, it seems he was legit but Caliber reps nationwide have a history of being complete FOS in a lot of the things they do and say to get people to switch to Dish.
YMMV

The Salesman was probably from a company called Caliber - formerly Dish One. From the OP, it seems he was legit but Caliber reps nationwide have a history of being complete FOS in a lot of the things they do and say to get people to switch to Dish.
YMMV
So the OP should do as I say, get everything in writing and confirm.

Why are these salespeople so heinous to deal with, why does the companies allow it, do they believe the only way to get new subscribers is to lie, so that is why it is ok?

I have read the DirecTV Salespeople at Costco were atrocious, but the worst was from Comcast ( I have no idea if he worked for Comcast directly), knock at my door, who do you have for service, then every thing out of his month was a lie, this is after we switched to Vue, yes it is the same price, no, we do not charge extra for sports, no we do not charge extra for your locals.

I have had Dish 20ish years, and am mostly happy.

BUT- be aware that they are losing programming so you want to be sure Dish will carry the shows you like.

Both satcos are declining and we don’t know how long they will be around, or even if.

If you are making a big change, I can’t help but recommend you cancel the order quickly, well before they show up at your door. And if you DO cancel, and they show up anyway, DO NOT LET THEM INSIDE. DON’T EVEN ANSWER THE DOOR.

And move to streaming, perhaps with YTTV. Lotta variables there, and those options keep changing. But the cost goes way down to you.

You really need someone local and knowledgeable about these things. You seem to have at least three concerns that interact with each other.

Best of luck to you.

So the OP should do as I say, get everything in writing and confirm.

Why are these salespeople so heinous to deal with, why does the companies allow it, do they believe the only way to get new subscribers is to lie, so that is why it is ok?

I have read the DirecTV Salespeople at Costco were atrocious, but the worst was from Comcast ( I have no idea if he worked for Comcast directly), knock at my door, who do you have for service, then every thing out of his month was a lie, this is after we switched to Vue, yes it is the same price, no, we do not charge extra for sports, no we do not charge extra for your locals.
At one time, Dish owned Dish One and used them as an outside sales force. They employ mostly college kids and sell other services too. DTV and I had too many ring my bell about the Solar rip-off. They were fine then but since they went back on their own, they've been terrible.

At one time, Dish owned Dish One and used them as an outside sales force. They employ mostly college kids and sell other services too. DTV and I had too many ring my bell about the Solar rip-off. They were fine then but since they went back on their own, they've been terrible.
Being in Florida, I get the Solar salespeople about once a week , I just tell them to go away with the Ring speaker, so tired of them knocking at my door.

Being in Florida, I get the Solar salespeople about once a week , I just tell them to go away with the Ring speaker, so tired of them knocking at my door.
Being where I am in California and having a house that has a large roof facing south I also get lots of solar sales people. I look at my Nest doorbell camera and if I see it is one of them I simply ignore it.

Can you link the doorbell to play a recording of the sound of a large dog racing to the door, barking and growling like mad?
Already have two large dogs that do that.
Maybe add some scratching at the door sounds, too?
Wish they had some kind of option, that would change my voice to Darth Vader when I use the Ring intercom.

I've had 11 in the past year. I've been meaning to get a No Soliciting sign to go with my Beware of Dog sign

New Install, new equipment?

DishAnywhere app no audio w/ lightning adapter