OTHER C Band Orthomode Feed. How do you switch LNB's?

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
Like the subject says. Wondering how it's usually done. I see tek has a 13/18 volt switch. I just refuse to buy anything from him.
Other searches come up a bit blank. It might be covered in the archives here but that's some deep searching.
In the interim. Although it might not be kosher. I was messing around and found my own solution w/o buying more stuff.

I use a 8X1 diseqc switch to select between C and Ku on my mio. For blind scans of unknown sats. when initially setting them up.
I edited the satellites.xml file to make a dummy that I could set to not move the dish.
Also a few years ago I found that I needed to nudge the dish a few clicks on 131W for different tp's.
These work:

<sat name="Test C-band Transponders" flags="1" position="-1775">

And for the dish 'nudge'....

<sat name="131.0W C-band AMC 11" flags="1" position="-1311">

<sat name="131.0W C-band AMC 11 *" flags="1" position="-
1312">

Names edited so I know what I'm on. And numbers in red exclusive so I can set my dish mover memory slot.

So. It looks like it will work. I'm getting my 'guns loaded'. More on that.
Make duplicate entries in the xml.
Signify H, V tp's by appending, let's say....
<sat name="131.0W H C-band AMC 11" flags="1" position="-1311">
include only horiz. tp's in it and add new blind scanned findings.
<sat name="131.0W
V C-band AMC 11" flags="1" position="-1313">
only vert. tp's in it. same for new scans.

Follow me? In Tuner setup set Port 1 for C band and voltage at 18 volts for the horiz. lnb.
Port 2 for C band, 18 volts for the vert. lnb.
And Port 3 for my sidecar ku lnbf.
Only 1 coax needs to be added to get everything down one wire to the house.

Any suggestions? A better and reliable way?

An old buddy/plumber just bought the home of the CATV owner before being bought out by the big guys.
He called me up and asked me if I wanted to look through the old stuff before he hauled it out for junk.
Boxes and boxes of new tubes. Mostly for RF amps. A mess of rectifier tubes.
And few few old boxes of dish components. Assorted Norsat lnbs. Need testing. Some look new. Others are crusty.
And a bunch of ortho feeds. I snagged a Harvard Scientific and CM. The rest are pretty crusty and weathered and pitted. Some scalars.
Tickled? Oh yeah.
Used my friends glass bead blaster. Looked up another one and he's going to powder coat them.
The plumber isn't in a big hurry to get rid of everything. But it will go.

Thanks Bri.
Already have most of my C band xml done. A bit. Not much work. No extra hardware or mods needed. And tested.
I have no 5G interference out here in the sticks. Hopefully I can snag a couple of Norsat's that work.
Knowing little but what's still bolted to my Chaparral polorotor C/ku feeds in "the bin".
Are specific flange gaskets really needed? I put Kapton tape on the feed flanges. Hoping it survives the powder oven.

Use a powered multi-switch with the paired ports modded to provide 18VDC to both of the C-band orthomode LNBs. Run the KU LNBF on an unmodded high band port. I remember some threads years ago with Anole, Magic Static and others regarding their ortho switching hardware.
That is the best and easiest set up that I use, A powered WNC 4x8 switch modded to 18 volts on the C-Band side and the Ku also. 10 foot unimesh brand new in the box six years ago with a Chaparral ortho and norsat 5 series LNB's and a 1.8 andrews with the original ortho and 2 Norsats on it. Works like a charm. And of course, your box moving the 10 footer!

I guess since it works I'd still be interested in finding the circuit mod. So far a search here didn't lead me to the post.
But still it raises a question. With a single-in receiver. In tuner setup for E2. You can only select that port for a single lnb, lnbf. Or did I miss something?

With a 2 input receiver things are different. You can use one input and set a switch to select C or Ku satellites in the xml. And the other lnb input and do the same.
But you can't choose 127W C band on a single input receiver. Use port 1 of the switch for your horizontal lnb at 18 volts.
And then go back and select it again and change it to use port 2 at 18 volts. And the setting is independent.
Again. Or did I miss something?
The xml edit to create a sat and tp listing seems elegant and there's no blowing out any solder from a sealed can.
And I'm all about doing that. Nothing like hot, splatterend, wicked-up, flux smoke solder over a hot coffee. In the hot coffee!

I guess since it works I'd still be interested in finding the circuit mod. So far a search here didn't lead me to the post.
But still it raises a question. With a single-in receiver. In tuner setup for E2. You can only select that port for a single lnb, lnbf. Or did I miss something?

With a 2 input receiver things are different. You can use one input and set a switch to select C or Ku satellites in the xml. And the other lnb input and do the same.
But you can't choose 127W C band on a single input receiver. Use port 1 of the switch for your horizontal lnb at 18 volts.
And then go back and select it again and change it to use port 2 at 18 volts. And the setting is independent.
The xml edit to create a sat and tp listing seems elegant and there's no blowing out any solder from a sealed can.
And I'm all about doing that. Nothing like hot, splatterend, wicked-up, flux smoke solder over a hot coffee. In the hot coffee!
Get a 2 input / 4 output multiswitch with power supply (more reliable to have full time PS).
Even with a single input receiver, you should be able to use a single coax to its input, from one of
the outputs of the multiswitch. Receiver's LNBF logic commands should allow you flawless switching.
The above will work on a 2 output C-band LNB system. If you need to go C/Ku, the optimum setup would
be a four port feedhorn with four LNBs (2 C-band, 2 Ku-band with 10750 local oscillator).
Program C-band satellites for 0 KHz, and Ku-band with 22 KHz tone.

If this is too much money, go separate C / Ku systems with 2 output LNBFs, which would allow similar
operation with a 2 in / 4 out switch.

Reactions: mc6809e and arlo