Wireless Joey?

tennisnut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 1, 2010
Houston area
A friend told me that wireless joeys are coming. No more coax or wifi adapters needed. Can anyone confirm this? Timing?

A friend told me that wireless joeys are coming. No more coax or wifi adapters needed. Can anyone confirm this? Timing?

No, I can say with 99% certainty it's not happening anytime soon. Do wifi joeys work, yes. Can it possibly cause problems, yes. Dish has not officially supported wifi installations so I don't see this happening in the near future.

WiFi/Ethernet works but is not supported by Dish. So don't expect them to troubleshoot it for you if it's not using coax. You are also at the mercy of your WiFi's bandwidth. If there is a lot of interference or a lot of other users on your WiFi network going crazy with downloads, your picture could be affected.

That being said, I've had my Joey on WiFi for 9 months now with very little issues. Then again I run an 802.11n network with two large antennas, so I get great coverage all throughout the house.

Can you install a new Joey over Ethernet alone? No MoCA?

Technically if you purchased your own you probably could. I think the initial software download requires a MoCA connection though. Could use a temporary tap on the Hopper line for that.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Technically if you purchased your own you probably could. I think the initial software download requires a MoCA connection though. Could use a temporary tap on the Hopper line for that.

That is exactly what I was asking: can you install a Joey without MoCA at all? Getting to a tap, either temporarily or permanently, is not easy for my proposed setup which would kill the MoCA signal in the attic. That's in order to run an OTA antenna signal to the Hopper OTA dongle via a single coax.

That is exactly what I was asking: can you install a Joey without MoCA at all? Getting to a tap, either temporarily or permanently, is not easy for my proposed setup which would kill the MoCA signal in the attic. That's in order to run an OTA antenna signal to the Hopper OTA dongle via a single coax.

You can't put a temporary tap on the hopper line right behind the hopper to download the joey?

Yeah that's how I've always done it whether I'm setting them up with wifi or ethernet. Put the tap in, download joeys, move joeys to rooms they go in, and remove tap.

PTAT-- Viewing problem

Hopper HBO On Demand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)