Wild Blue Set Up Help

JohnSkiing

Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Wild Blue Screwing Me on Installation-HELP?

I am renting a house where Wild Blue is the only high speed internet available. The house already has the dish installed and pointed, and it also has the cable ran and the modem. The problem I am having is that Wild Blue says they need to have a technician out to hook it up, and they want to charge me $90 bucks for it. Was wondering if I can just hook it up and it will work or what I have to do to get it to work without having someone come do it for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am renting a house where Wild Blue is the only high speed internet available. The house already has the dish installed and pointed, and it also has the cable ran and the modem. The problem I am having is that Wild Blue says they need to have a technician out to hook it up, and they want to charge me $90 bucks for it. Was wondering if I can just hook it up and it will work or what I have to do to get it to work without having someone come do it for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Were did the modem come from? Is it yours?

if the modem is yours, or one that you can actually activate... i would call a local retailer see if they will come out and do a service call to check the system, and activate it for you.

As far as I am aware, Wildblue won't activate a system without a technician basically signing off on it. Two-way satellite internet systems have to be installed by FCC certified techs, and so Wildblue requires that a tech do the activating.

What you could do, is connect the modem (make sure you get the recieve and transmit on the right ports), let it lock, connect it to the computer and open the browser. See what comes up. If it is the wildblue activation page, that would be a good thing.

What you could do, is connect the modem (make sure you get the recieve and transmit on the right ports), let it lock, connect it to the computer and open the browser. See what comes up. If it is the wildblue activation page, that would be a good thing.

I don't believe the modem will lock without the APA will it?

APA not required (just used to help isolate transmitters during peaking). If its an older system it will be on Anik F2 (right vs. left hand polarity TRIA), do not know if they would activate on that sat???

I was under the impression the APA canceled out frequencies other than the beam that the customer points to. IE if the customer is on the edge of 2 beams it will only allow the one they are going to use to pass.

That is true, it is a filter which attenuating adjacent transmitters will allow a "better" peak of the dish for a particular tx.

the apa is not necessary for the modem to lock. If the dish is properly aligned to the correct beam, then you can connect the modem directly to it, and it will lock.
I do it all the time. I have a WB dish setup at the office, we connect the modem, let it update firmware, lock... and occasionally provision, all without an apa.
It does the same thing as if the modem gets unplugged or whatever, you plug it back in, give it a minute or two to lock, and thats it.

O, and just so ya know... where our office is located, we are on the borders of 3 beams. We use 3 different beams in our service area depending on what part of the area they live in.

If its an older unit, it's likely a Anikf2. Which means it's more than likely you will be directed to the WB1 bird. Which means you will need a different tria. Which means you will need a service call. Which likely means you (or tech) will need an APA to re-lock to new bird.

Note: if your not in an overlapping beam area, you will never need an APA. I never require one.

Information

Wireless routers and satellite internet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)