why not build your won HD PVR?

citadel

Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
why not build your own HD PVR?

Anyone think this will work?

Run the output from a 811 to the input of a PC HDTV card (ATI HDTV Wonder Card) in your desktop PC.
The ATI HD card allows name based recording, season pass, etc. You can also easily install big drives in a PC. You then run the output of the ATI HD card to your HDTV via DVI cable.
The PC acts like a Tivo/VCR inbetween the 811 and the TV

But the PC cannot change channels on the 811, correct? Aren't you relying on the VHF (tuned) output from the 811 to your PC?

It should work like a champ for Cable (built-in TV Tuner) but I don't understand how it could work for satellite unless you want to manually change channels on the 811 for everything you want to record.

- Flappy

You can't even feed any of the 811s HD outputs to a capture card in the first place...

Listed in the description...

PVR (personal video recorder) with hardware encoder and instant replay function; FM tuner and antenna; compatible with cable, digital cable, satellite TV and antenna; TV-out; S-video and composite audio/video input

No idea about the HD bit but I'm sure that it can be or already has been done. There was a link on the forums here for a BYODVR site somewhere.

There's HDPC cards with ATSC tuners, but I've never seen one with HD DVI/component/etc inputs.

And there's NO HD satellite box with ATSC output.

Oh - and regarding that BesyBuy link. NEVER NEVER NEVER buy an HP or Compaq PC. They are pure junk. Your best bet for a PC is a local white box dealer that actually can spell "PC", or if you MUST go with a national company, Dell.

I dunno about that. WorstBuy will screw you on extended service plans and repairs and such but I can't complain about anything I bought there. Hell, my pops still has a Packard Bell he bought from Wal Mart that runs great. He got his the same time I got my first computer. Two computers workin on getting three later his still runs like a top. First one I got was an eMistake that crapped out after 3 years. The second one I've got is a Hateway that started dropping parts after 2 years. I thought Hateway would honor their warrenty better than WorstBuy but I practically had to get a letter from the Pope stating the machine was funky. I've seen Dell's having a heap of problems lately as well. Sister has HP that's worked like gold for the past several years. It seems to me that some of the larger pc makers are resting on their laurals thinking people will continue to flock to them. Not me.

Having the local computer shop here build a comp doesn't seem to promising either. Just overpriced parts tossed in a box by an overcharging tech. Computers are like cars these days. Built to be disposable after a few years. It's a damn shame too.

Well, I just go on what I see day in and day out, over and over in my shop.

When's the last time you got a real Windows disk from a national company?

Ever try to do a WinRepair without it? No joy. You better make sure you've got a backup of your stuff, because cold format and factory restore is likely to be the only thing that works - no matter what the destructions say.

Got a Compaq with a CD Burner? Then you didn't even get ANY disks - you better burn your own fast. Oh - you only get one chance at it. And if you don't, and need them, you get screwed.

As for Dell, I haven't seen any new ones hit the shop lately - which generally means they're running fine.

As for the local shops, I'm sorry that you can't find a good one - or maybe you haven't asked around - the REALLY good ones don't advertise - they don't need to.

Anyone that doesn't make backups on any machine is asking for real trouble. I got into the habit after a coworker liked screwing up my drafting computer at work after I left. He thought it would slow me down or cause problems with my work. I got so used to popping in the disk and reinsalling ACad every other week I had it down to about thirty minutes. Frustrated the hell out of him when he found out I backed everything up religiously. From what I've seen most new computers of any brand work flawlessly for about 6-9 months. Most of them get into trouble from ads that are laced with virii on websites that don't pay attention to their advertisers. We had the problem at Stangnet a few times but they were able to catch it after a few hours. Windows has to be the biggest virus out there on the market to date.

We've looked and asked around in our area for a computer place that does do good work but none are really to be found. The ones that are, are too overpriced. The kick around here is everything is "amish built" and oddly enough computers are no exception. It gives them the ability to overcharge for something anyone else can do for less money. Hell, we just found a nonamish furniture store that sells furniture at normal prices last week.

CBS-HD Question

backfeed ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)