Who "does the dishes" around your place?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I couldn't take it anymore. Time to "spring clean"
Obviously none of us on this forum can use a "dishwasher" in the most literal sense of the word....so......

Got some help, hired a friend with the power-washer. Little did I know that the crud/small moss that was on the right-hand Birdview was so stubborn! After all, it began its life with me 13 feet in the air, not near trees!

A few hours later, my buddy had all the dishes power washed while I worked in the office, the growth gone around the dishes (two weed whips later...one went RIGHT back to the store with horrible new batteries, even 18 volt!!).....and now, after cleaning, you can't look directly at the dishes on a sunny day like today!

He also did outside work around the studio building....and its amazing how the cleaner dishes make the whole property look!

I have an excellent source of the Birdview Logo, (a clean, new patch, probably meant for an installer that I would love to get scanned, produced, and put BACK on the dishes. Its the color version, I assume a later one than what either of these two dishes have. Haven't tried scanning it yet.......

Time to play! Middle Ku has been waiting! (Thanks, Pixl...now the fun begins!)
It's a good day to "play" now that the office is closed.

Attachments

• after 1.jpg
    after 1.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Before !.jpg
    Before !.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 251
  • before 2.jpg
    before 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 212
  • before 3.jpg
    before 3.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 231
That does make a difference, nice collection there radio! If, by 'weed whip' you mean a weed-eater that runs on batteries, the weeds around here would laugh out loud at one of those! Mine runs on gas and will take down small bushes, nothing else will last more than one summer.

If, by 'weed whip' you mean a weed-eater that runs on batteries, the weeds around here would laugh out loud at one of those! Mine runs on gas and will take down small bushes, nothing else will last more than one summer.

Yep. Thought an 18 volt unit that costs over $120 by a name brand manufacturer might actually work. (insert "wrong" buzzer here.)
Sent my buddy back to the store with it, and its two batteries, he came back with a gas unit. Guess batteries are NOT meant for trimming.

From the title I thought you were talking about the ones one eats off of.
If that was the case, I could say RT licks them clean but that might gross some one out.
Great job on the satellite dish clean up job. Really made a big difference.

Meow.

P.S. What are those big guy wires holding up in picture 4?

Good Eyes! The wires are for a 199 foot AM radio station tower! There's 3 here, it sometimes makes any "electronic" hobby a nightmare.

Sure! Just like your car runs better and smoother when washed! Same concept. Why not! It's like changing the air in your tires, from "winter air" to "spring air." (I actually run bits on the air at change of season reminding people to go do that.....and to see our local tire advertisers for an "air change at the season change.")

Besides, all the small, bumpy moss is gone from one of the two dishes now!

Just coincidentally I came across this thread only hours after doing my "Spring cleaning" on the roof dish farm! My roof farm is somewhat close to a Pecan tree, which, unfortunately, sheds every annoying tree dropping known to man during the early Spring. It has now finished, at least until the Fall when Pecan season starts, so I decided to clean out the farm this evening. Had to use a blower to blow out all of the Pecan tree "cat tails" and leaves. It's all nice and clean now ;) ...

Good Eyes! The wires are for a 199 foot AM radio station tower! There's 3 here, it sometimes makes any "electronic" hobby a nightmare.
That is one thing nice about sat TV. Back in the old CB radio days, someone would tell you to get your CLR II way up on one of those towers.

RT.

i see many white dishes around here. no birdview logos. i was looking for surefire ways to id the birdview.
thanks

From the front the 3 sets of 2 legs for the feed support is a tipoff, from the rear that big H-H mount is hard to miss.

Also, unless they have been modified the pole is a 6" diameter piece of thinwall tubing, looks bigger from the road than the typical 3 /12" or 4" OD pipe mounts.

Most of the BV's I have seen still had at least some of the logo still on the reflector.

Attachments

• Sat Birdview Original Home2.jpg
    Sat Birdview Original Home2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Sat Birdview Original Home4.jpg
    Sat Birdview Original Home4.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 182
I'm hoping to be able to reproduce the BV logo onto the dish somehow after scanning a (very detailed) cloth patch and see if its possible to get these made to put back ON the dishes. Not for profit (in case that logo is still registered..some of theirs are, some are not...probably having something to do with the later "new Birdview" organization in the last effort they made to keep the company going.)

Was surprise that heavy power washing didn't take the logos completely off!

Attachments

• BV LOGO.jpg
    BV LOGO.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Linuxman sent me a very nice high res bitmap of the BV logo a couple years ago, I think he did the artwork himself. PM me your email address if you want it, I tried attaching but I think the file is too large.

IIRC we backed off of making these because thought the curvature of the dish might possibly be a problem for the available material to lay flat and not distort?

radio, do you know anything about what prompted the "new" Birdview? Was it a bankruptcy reorganization or similar?

Somewhere around here are some close up photos I took of the various bird view logos, while trying to get the former birdview dealer in Tahlequah, OK to let go of one of the three or four he had in his yard still. I sent them to Linuxman and I think I posted them too. I may still have them if they weren't on one of the hard drives I lost a few months ago. The dealer supposedly still had a bunch of the stickers in the attic of his shop. I really wish I could have talked him out of the bird view trailer and dish he had parked next to the solids he had in the ground.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

30.0 W. on a 30" Winegard ?

Crossing ITU Regions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts