Which channels would you like to see added/removed from Sky Angel?

MLBurks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Huntingdon TN
A couple of weeks ago, Sky Angel send out their Viewer Advisory Board survey asking us which channels we would like to see added and/or removed. I'm sure most of us would like to see them add (or remove) some channels that would improve and expand the service. I'd be interested to know what channels Sky Angel subscribers (or would be subscribers) think would be appropriate to add to the service. Are there any channel(s) that you don't watch and wouldn't miss if removed?

I for one would like to see them add Turner Classic Movies, Boomerang, The History Channel and History Channel International. I wouldn't miss Familyland, GTN or TBN if I saw them disappear. Also, bring Spirit back to it's own channel.

I am not crazy about some of the violence on the Hallmark Movie Channel. I don't know if the Turner Classic Movies is any better. I wouldn't want to see any more Christian channels replaced with premium commercial channels.

I like GTN and TBN. TBN is one of the major Christian networks so I wouldn't want to lose that.

I am not crazy about some of the violence on the Hallmark Movie Channel. I don't know if the Turner Classic Movies is any better. I wouldn't want to see any more Christian channels replaced with premium commercial channels.

I like GTN and TBN. TBN is one of the major Christian networks so I wouldn't want to lose that.

I certainly understand about the Hallmark Movie Channel. But I watch Turner Classic Movies all of the time (that's one of the only channels holding me to a Dish subscription). I rarely see anything that would be inappropriate. They focus mostly on the "golden years of Hollywood" and the pre-golden years. That was a time in Hollywood when decency and restraint was practiced unlike today. GTN is OK and I might change my mind on it but I heard a couple of weeks ago on "Inside Sky Angel" that when Veggietales comes to GTN that GTN will have to air the "censored" version of the show because GTN has affiliations with NBC. If that is true, I'm not sure I would want a channel that is on a leash of a large anti-christian network on Sky Angel. And TBN (oh boy), TBN has been exposed many times of preaching way-out-there doctrines. The Chrouch family have been in the middle of it and supportive of it. Get the book "Christianity in Crisis". They really expose TBN for all it's worth. And I know it's true because I used to watch TBN and saw a lot of what is described in the book. Also there is a audio series with the same title that lets you hear for yourself all of the junk that is on TBN. But I DO NOT want to get into a doctrinal debate over TBN:)

You can find a lot of "dirt" on the writer of that book as well. Christian mudslinging is rarely profitable.

I don't much care for the glitz and such of TBN these days, but the 'heresey hunters" have plenty of dirt themselves....

I think that is one reason God stresses letting Him manage His Church, rather than trusting books to lead us and guide us.

I do find it interesting that you add the reference, then don't want the debate. Why not stay out of the debate entirely in the first place then? (I have no desire for the debate either, I am discussing principles. I don't much care for 3ABN either, but I didn't care if SkyAngel carried it.)

Brad

From what I understand, GTN is an affliate of the i network which use to be PAX. I don't know if the u network is afflicated with NBC or not. GTN can carry the programs from the i network that they choose but do not carry all of it.

The VeggeTales was editted for television because NBC required that. Again, I don't know if the i network is afflicated with NBC but it was NBC that required the VeggieTales to be editted.

I am an Adventist myself and fairly well-grounded in what I believe. However I watch preachers of other denominations because I get a lot of practical living and faith-building skills from them. I do not believe that any one Christian church is exclusively God's church. From what I have seen, TBN has many good programs on it.

I think it is disappointing that NBC wanted to edit VeggieTales, but I believe the exposure from being on three national television networks (NBC, Telemundo, and i) is worth it - since kids will see the show and want the DVDs, which are available everywhere, and are completely unedited and original.

I am also interested in having the Gospel Music Channel (lowercase "g" logo) - I know Sky Angel does have a lot of music video channels, but IMO there is a market for it. Look at how the sales of Christian music CDs and DVDs continues to rise, at a higher rate than the secular market.

I am not crazy about some of the violence on the Hallmark Movie Channel. I don't know if the Turner Classic Movies is any better.

TCM movies like Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! are most certainly better sex and violence than anything on Hallmark Movie Channel. :)

TCM has unedited movies with language and sexual situations. It is not uncommon for the queen-mother of all dirty words to fly out when they play post-1970 era movies (which they do regualrly). Most movies on TCM are tame were released during the Hayes era, but some are really rated R or PG13.

But the reason I would be against this channel or History Channel is because I am tired of the duplications. There are other channels out there that Sky Angel can get that are not already available on Dish's packages.

BTW Familyland, HMC and GTN are the only channels I watch on Sky Angel that aren't already on Dish.

See ya
Tony

But the reason I would be against this channel or History Channel is because I am tired of the duplications. There are other channels out there that Sky Angel can get that are not already available on Dish's packages.

Tony, does anyone know what percent of Sky Angel (SA) customers are also Dish customers. I had both until I recently let Sky Angel go because of duplication (I will miss TLN, Faith TV, and Bott Radio but I have DVR'd a lot of programs to view later). I was getting a total of 3 TBN's, and 2 each of Angel One, HGTV, and Fox News. I aslo had 2 Worship channels with one from SA and one with an OTA digital sub-channel using an old Voom box.

If that is a high percent of subscribers to both SA and Dish then why couldn't Sky Angel drop TBN and Angel One (which is a mix of programming from all of their channels) from their lineup and add two unique channels right away. For now I will keep to the religious channels only and not the secular channels.

Then they could encourage non-Dish customers to have another dish installed at the 119 location to get the free public interest channels which I think includes TBN and EWTN (I guess Dish would give it to them free for being a Sky Angel customer but I don't know). And a lot of people would like RFD-TV.

Then if they subscribe to a locals package they may get other local religious channels with national programming like TBN, Daystar, or FamilyNet.

Or if they subscribe to at least DishFamily they would get TBN, EWTN, Daystar, and Angel One.

Or maybe SA and Dish could work together (I know there has been a lot of problems in the past) for the best of their customers to ensure that anyone with SA can get all four of Dish's religious channels for free with no other Dish programming package required or maybe at the least have them subscribe to only locals. Dish could also map the channels to appear next to the SA channels.

In the end subscribers to both could pick up 2 new religious channels and SA only subscribers could pick up 6 (or maybe more with locals). What do you think?

One other point. It's looks like DirecTV will have at least as many religious TV channels at SA and Dish combined if they keep adding very many more. I'm considering them a serious option now. I like the fact that John MacArthur has his teaching program on the NRB channel. SA can not offer this channel because of space limitations and Dish can't add any more religious channels because of their agreement with SA prevents them from doing so.

So hopefully SA will get their own satellite soon or they can somehow work with Dish to get more quality channels with less duplication.

Then they could encourage non-Dish customers to have another dish installed at the 119 location to get the free public interest channels which I think includes TBN and EWTN (I guess Dish would give it to them free for being a Sky Angel customer but I don't know). And a lot of people would like RFD-TV.

Dish does give the SA only customers the PI pack. There was a thread here recently on that very topic

Dish does give the SA only customers the PI pack. There was a thread here recently on that very topic

I did have to call the tech support line to get them though. I had asked on the "normal" programming line and I was told I could not have them as a SkyAngel-only customer. (I am still downgraded to just SkyAngel to save money. )

Brad

Last edited:
i like to see all the secular channels go away and replaced with our missiing channels
i like to keep skyangel all chyristian. thats why i got it in 1998 lifetime sub.
god bless
john

p.s. i want gospel music television or the set
(southern entertainment television)
http://www.theset.net/

I think they are facing problems with ongoing income, so they feel the need to market a more "general" product. I wonder what the mix of lifetime and ongoing subs is.

The problem with lifetime subs is that they give you good one-time income, but it isn't ongoing.

Brad

I think they are facing problems with ongoing income, so they feel the need to market a more "general" product. I wonder what the mix of lifetime and ongoing subs is.

The problem with lifetime subs is that they give you good one-time income, but it isn't ongoing.

Brad

Lifetime subs can support Sky Angel with additional financial gifts by sending them to: Dominion Foundation; PO Box 7609; Naples, FL 34101

Lifetime subs can support Sky Angel with additional financial gifts by sending them to: Dominion Foundation; PO Box 7609; Naples, FL 34101

I was speaking of the money they normally get every month. I know lifetime subs can send more, but the point of buying the lifetime sub was to not have to do so....

Unfortunately, that crimps later money flow.

Brad

We are lifetime subs. We buy the SkyAngel Guide but that is it. We do not have cable or any commercial service like DISH or DirecTV. For the most part, I really like the lineup SkyAngel has now. I would like to see more channels but that won't happen until they get their own satellite. I like the idea of a movie channel but just don't like some of Hallmarks. SkyAngel was trying to get some kind of movie channel together with the Dove Foundation a couple of years ago but I guess nothing happened so they opted to add Hallmark.

I would like to see the following added:

1. The NRB channel

2. Spirit music

3. Gospel Music Channel

4. Boomerang

5. The Weather Channel (unless they ever get the Weather Channel Interactive
going on Dish)

6. The NFL Channel

I like the fact that John MacArthur has his teaching program on the NRB channel. .

It was announced on today's GTY (Bott ch 9781) that their television program will be carried on other networks as well. I'm sure it will be available on Sky Angel in the near future.:up :)

Jeff

John MacArthur rejects traditional Christian TV

dish installation & elevation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)