Where to buy 1.8M satellite dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stryker

Original poster
May 13, 2006
I am looking for a source for a 1.8m satellite dish to use in Mexico for our U.S. Dish Service. We only use 119 on one LNB.
Our current one is rusting away.....
Does anyone know where to buy these?
Thank you for your help.

Are you in the U.S. now and going to Mexico? Where in Mexico will you be living/camping? Are you talking about Dish Network (I'm assuming so, since that's on 119). You wouldn't be able to get your local channels, because those are spot beamed narrowly to the specific areas.

Check in the largest city near your location in Mexico with satellite installers. There are many sources of KU, good grade, offset 1.8 and 2.4m dishes within the country.

If you don't mind the shipping cost or can transport yourself, We use: http://www.anderseninc.com/satellite/large.htm for high grade and heavy duty dishes.

What happened with the 1.8m metal offset dish that you were importing(?), I believe you installed one on your facility?

Shipping cost was too high on the solid offset 1.8M dishes after building a crate and ground freight with dock only deliveries ($700+). We worked with several Sky Dealers to import if they would commit to buying 200+ units with 50% prepayment, but non could front the funds. We weren't willing to risk importing the large quantities necessary for reasonable profit margins without a major distributor committing to a portion of the stock. Too many expensive dishes to hold warehouse space, getting dusty just to have around for the "maybe" orders.

Most expats in Mexico (with North American TV needs) seem to live in the coastal areas. for obvious reasons, rarely do you see metal dishes used for these Dish or Direct installs. Usually the local installers source a "made in Mexico" fiberglass dish. There are very high tariffs on Taiwan and mainland China dishes in Mexico.

Protectionism at its best!

Last edited:
Sadoun has a nice one with a polar mount. They are in Texas. : http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Dishes/C_Band_satellite_dish.htm

It's heavy stamped metal petals, that can go regular shipping and that you assemble on a flat surface. If you follow posts on this forum that have pictures, it assembles very nicely and accurately, and is a nice dish.

This prime focus dish wouldn't hold up to the winds or the corrosion. .9 or 1T gauge petal dishes are rarely used in these hurricane prone and coastal areas. I have traveled extensively in Mexico and the Caribbean. Most panel dishes are in very poor condition. The only exceptions are the Paraclipse dishes that were over designed with hurricanes in mind!

There are very high tariffs on Taiwan and mainland China dishes in Mexico.

Yep. I even tried to send some bed linens as a wedding gift to a friend a few years ago. Couldn't do it. The delivery service said that customs would confiscate it as soon as they saw the "made in China" label. I took them back to Wal-Mart and found the exact same sheets, after some searching, made in India. No problem.

Shipping cost was too high on the solid offset 1.8M dishes after building a crate and ground freight with dock only deliveries ($700+). We worked with several Sky Dealers to import if they would commit to buying 200+ units with 50% prepayment, but non one could front the funds. We weren't willing to risk importing the large quantities necessary for reasonable profit margins without a major distributor committing to a portion of the stock. Too many expensive dishes to hold warehouse space, getting dusty just to have around for the "maybe" orders.

Most expats in Mexico (with North American TV needs) seem to live in the coastal areas. for obvious reasons, rarely do you see metal dishes used for these Dish or Direct installs. Usually the local installers source a "made in Mexico" fiberglass dish. There are very high tariffs on Taiwan and mainland China dishes in Mexico.

Interesting, I wondered what the deal was with those.

stryker, if you are willing to do some hunting, and are able to transport, there a lot of those nice commercial 1.8m offsets sitting on the roofs of car dealerships that went away when our government decided to get into the car business. You will also see them at Edward D. Jones broker offices, and I heard that they may not be using them any more.

Shipping cost was too high on the solid offset 1.8M dishes after building a crate and ground freight with dock only deliveries ($700+). We worked with several Sky Dealers to import if they would commit to buying 200+ units with 50% prepayment, but non could front the funds. We weren't willing to risk importing the large quantities necessary for reasonable profit margins without a major distributor committing to a portion of the stock. Too many expensive dishes to hold warehouse space, getting dusty just to have around for the "maybe" orders.

Brian do you have any 1.8 offset dish in stock?

never mind I just saw your other post.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Keep an eye on the Craiglist Dish thread over in the C-band department.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/281719-Craigslist-dishes-for-your-perusal
I see outstanding gems go by regularly.
There was a 6' offset Prodelin just last month, though I don't recall where.

Around here, there are a lot of those dishes on car dealerships
The are on a fixed mount, atop a NPRM.
Search the forum to see examples: "Prodelin".

[/FONT]

I assumed this related to getting dishes from Asia?
At least from all the import duty talk.

Most expats in Mexico (with North American TV needs) seem to live in the coastal areas. for obvious reasons, rarely do you see metal dishes used for these Dish or Direct installs. Usually the local installers source a "made in Mexico" fiberglass dish.
Maybe I read this differently ...
The obvious question is, what about importing these dishes from Mexico?? ;)
I'd think it an attractive idea for a west coast company. :)

(assuming reasonable quality & price)

The obvious question is, what about importing these dishes from Mexico?? ;)
QUOTE]

I have the same question..I am seeing in the webb some 1.8 & 1.5 mts offset at good prices..Mayortec has some..Last year I found in the internet one factory of metal dishes in Guadalajara mexico I can not remember the company name but there are some companies manufacturing dishes in Mexico

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bye Bye STO

TV Azteca feed on KU G25 93 gone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)