What new DVR is comparable to HR20-700?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

forsberg21

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
PA
I think I may have started this thread here instead on the general forum. But I am looking for any of the new DVR's that offer the ability to record 2 shows at once and have internal OTA so I can get my locals in HD. What is the closest or best new DVR that is similar to the HR20-700 right now?

Any of the HR2x series is comparable, but you'll also have to add the AM21 OTA tuner module to any of the HR21+ models, which will make them = to an HR20.

The only other major differences between HR2x models, is the hard drive size, & the fact the HR23 do NOT require BBC's on non-SWM installs.

However, the HR24's have new faster processors, that make them run much quicker than previous HR2x units. But they can be in short supply now, as popular as they are...

Any of the HR2x series is comparable, but you'll also have to add the AM21 OTA tuner module to any of the HR21+ models, which will make them = to an HR20.

The only other major differences between HR2x models, is the hard drive size, & the fact the HR23 do NOT require BBC's on non-SWM installs.

However, the HR24's have new faster processors, that make them run much quicker than previous HR2x units. But they can be in short supply now, as popular as they are...

Thanks. So if I got the HR23 or the HR24, I would also need to get the AM21 OTA module as well? What is the general cost of them? I know the prices of the HR23's and 24's, but how much more would I need to "cough up" to get the AM21? So, the HR24's DO require the BBC's and it is only the HR23's that do not? But both can record 2 shows at the same time, correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you know, educating yourself first is the best way to go about these things.

The AM21 is $50 from Directv (a bit more from some retailers). Most new installations are now SWM, which don't use BBCs, so there is no point in using the wideband tuners of the HR23, which probably add cost. All DVR models can record two programs simultaneously.

The AM21 is $50 from Directv (a bit more from some retailers). Most new installations are now SWM, which don't use BBCs, so there is no point in using the wideband tuners of the HR23, which probably add cost. All DVR models can record two programs simultaneously.

Thanks Bob. So, is there anything else for me to consider if I went out and bought (rent) the HR23 or HR24 and AM21? Is it a straight forward switch that I can do myself very easily with my HR20-700? Is there anything that I would need to know when installing an HR23 or HR and AM21 myself when switching it with the HR20-700?

Thanks Bob. So, is there anything else for me to consider if I went out and bought (rent) the HR23 or HR24 and AM21? Is it a straight forward switch that I can do myself very easily with my HR20-700? Is there anything that I would need to know when installing an HR23 or HR and AM21 myself when switching it with the HR20-700?

They connect the same way. The AM21 connects via USB to the receiver. I have an HR20, HR21 and an HR24. Get the HR24, it's much better than all of them.

Amazon.com: DIRECTV Plus® HR24 High Definition MPEG-4 DVR (HR-24-500) HD DVR: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31HppAg2FuL.@@AMEPARAM@@31HppAg2FuL

Couple of things to note:

1) The AM21 will slow down a HR22/21 a bit, and when it's recording two OTA streams, you'll see a little more slowness, little different from your HR20.

2) The first model, the HR24-500, was polled and found to be the only model with a potential OTA recording issue. Several of us on DBS, have found the 500 to randomly mess up OTA recordings, on random channels. The poll also suggested that the 200 and 100 do not have this problem.

Couple of things to note:

1) The AM21 will slow down a HR22/21 a bit, and when it's recording two OTA streams, you'll see a little more slowness, little different from your HR20.

2) The first model, the HR24-500, was polled and found to be the only model with a potential OTA recording issue. Several of us on DBS, have found the 500 to randomly mess up OTA recordings, on random channels. The poll also suggested that the 200 and 100 do not have this problem.

Not to discount the DBSTalk poll, but I have not experienced that issue with mine recording OTA. It's been flawless....

Thats why I used "potential" and "suggested" ;)

Is yours a 500?

Are you still having that issue with yours or did the latest software update fix it?

and yes it's a 500....got it when they first came out....remember the Overstock deal? Wish that would come around again...

Not to discount the DBSTalk poll, but I have not experienced that issue with mine recording OTA. It's been flawless....

I have 2 hr24-500's, 1 has issues with recording OTA, the other doesn't ..... go figure, I decided to record from the sat locals now and use the OTA for weather related issues.

Do I need the AM21 if I was to get the HR24-500 for example, in order to get my local channels in HD?

Since I have the 2 B-band converters for my HR20-700, if I get the HR24, does it matter which of the 2 lines I currenty have running to my receiver should be used to hook up to the HR24? I guess I don't understand what to do with the extra line that won't be used? I also understand I will need the AM-21 to get my locals as well, correct?

I thought the Hr24 needed 2 lines unless you have a SWM setup

the AM21 is what you need to get locals OTA

Since I have the 2 B-band converters for my HR20-700, if I get the HR24, does it matter which of the 2 lines I currenty have running to my receiver should be used to hook up to the HR24? I guess I don't understand what to do with the extra line that won't be used? I also understand I will need the AM-21 to get my locals as well, correct?

Iceberg is correct. You still need two lines and b-band converters unless you have SWiM....you only need an AM-21 if DirecTV doesn't have your locals in HD and you are using an antenna to get them.

Iceberg is correct. You still need two lines and b-band converters unless you have SWiM....you only need an AM-21 if DirecTV doesn't have your locals in HD and you are using an antenna to get them.

But if I got the HR24, I would need the AM-21 to get my locals in HD correct, or does it have an internal antenna like the HR20-700? I don't have a SWM set up, as I am using both B-Band converters now. So, am I correct saying that with the HR24-100/200/500 for my set-up, the AM-21 is necessary for locals in HD?

I didn't get an answer on this, so I thought I would ask again. I get my locals in HD thru my HR20-700, so no seperate antennae. I use both b-band converters on the back of my HR20-700 currently. So, if I was to get the HR24-100/200/500, am I correct that I would need the AM21 to continue to get my locals in HD and that the 2 current b-band converters would continued to be used with the new HR24-100/200/500 and AM21?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

No Audio After A Movie

Newbie - Looking for some advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)