Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Welcome to SatelliteGuys new AMSAT forum! This new forum was requested by our members, and here at SatelliteGuys we listen to our members opinions. :)

AMSAT is short for AMteur SATellite.

AMSAT members build, launch and use their own satellites!

We hope you enjoy this new forum, from your friends here at SatelliteGuys.US.

Sean Mota said:
I am stunned... build, launch and use their own satellites! I like to hear from these people...

Hi Sean, yes we Amateur Radio operators (Hams) operate and have launch our own satellites they are LEO's (Low Earth Orbiting) The major organization that does this is AMSAT with funds raised from membership fees and donations from its members. Check them out at www.amsat.org

You do have to be a licensed amateur to use the satellites all one has to do is pass the exam. The entry level license in this country (USA) is the technician class license. You can learn more about amateur radio at www.arrl.org you can work a amateur satellite with as little as 5 watts and a Dual band Handheld radio with just a rubber duck antenna. The amateur satellites operate is all kinds of different configurations (uplink and downlink frequencies, modes etc.) some of the satellites are easier to use than others.

I myself have operated thru the MIR space station using packet radio. The International Space Station even has a Amateur Radio Station on board and has chatted with other hams as it orbits. Really neat stuff.

Theres even people that use an old Primestar dish and modified it to use on the AO-40 amateur Satellite.

Bob N1WBD
Grafton,NH

Working satellites is one many cool things about this hobby. I hope this group takes off and gets more people into the hobby
Carmen
KB0YOJ

Here are a few questions:

Who regulate the launching of these satellites? FCC? US Agency?

How are they put in orbit?

How much does it cost per satellite to put in orbit (average)?

What's in these Satellites --- Radio/Tv or are they used for something else?

I have been looking into getting into Ham radio for a while. I even have the "Now You're talking" book and a Kenwood TH-G71A handheld. I always miss taking the tests though. Maybe this will give me the kick in the a** that I need.

From my readings no one agency regulates amateur satellites. From what I have read it is a group effort from the agencies listed below. This is not a complete list.
US Department of Transportation
International Amateur Radio Union
House Committee On Science
FCC

Most of the satellites piggy back on federal and private launches.

Mostly equipment geared to ham radio. There are some dual use satellites up there.
I might be slightly off on a few of these. The amsat website has alot of info

Sean Mota said:
Here are a few questions:

How much does it cost per satellite to put in orbit (average)?

Hi Sean, the FCC regulates the Amateur Satellites under FCC Part 97. They are launched usually with other commercial payloads that have room for it. Some have been launched from Florida other aboard Arianne lauch vehicles. The costs of building and launching these birds are usually into the millions of dollars funded by donations from people and corporations. The labor of building these birds are mainly done by volunteers and fellow hams. The modes on the satellites are usually radio (ssb or fm and CW) and data (packet ax.25 type and telementry etc.) Once the satellites is in orbit volunteer hams from around the world help track and control the various transponders on the satellite from there homes around the world.

Some satellites ( such as the late MIR space station would transmit still color photos as Slow Scan TV)

Hope this answers some of your questions for more info check out www.amsat.org

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Need a good Primer for DiSEqC and 22k!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)