Warning: Deleting Only Folder Contnents

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I thought I would post this again, as another person mentioned the risk of accidentally deleting all recordings on the HDD instead of only the contents of a folder:

I put an explanitory post about that some time ago, but here is the problem:

If you go to the DVR list, then press EDIT first, then select the desired folder, your "Delete All" command will mark and delete all of your DVR recordings on the drive, every last one on the HDD.

However, when going to the DVR list, if you select or go into the desired folder FIRST, then select "Edit," then only the recordings in that folder will be marked and the "Delete All" command will only delete the recordings in that folder. It is the sequence of commands that is key.

I hope that was clear, and although this is precisely an operator error (meaning we are not using the feature correctly--kind of like Steve Jobs telling us we aren't holding the phone the right way) it is truly a design that is NOT intuitive. It is far too easy to forget and press "Edit" first, then select the folder, and be "fooled" because the screen will only display the first 6 of your 20 recordings in that folder, you think you are OK, but, in fact, what you can't see is that ALL of your DVR recordings have been marked.

One solution is to verify BEFORE deleting. Scroll down to be certain that only the recordings in the desired folder are marked. Remember, the key is to select the folder FIRST, then press the EDIT button.

Perhaps Dish can tweak this feature to make it a bit more intuitive. It is frighteningly too easy to delete all recordings on the drive when you think you are only deleting recordings in a folder just because you select EDIT first instead of selecting the folder first.

Last edited:
i have asked for a warning that would at least list the number of things you are preparing to delete. Not having too much luck though.

New to the 722k, and need help...

Dish To File Complaint Over Comcast Philly Sports Blockade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)