Walmart going with "D"

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Walmart going with "D"?

For that last few months I notice that Walmart in my town completely rid itself of all the "E" equipment for sale. I thought that they were done with selling Sat. equipment then out of nowhere they start setting up a complete "D" equipment Kiosk. Has anyone notice this in their area?

I guess that will mean that Sears will be the last large nationwide store chain to market "E" equipment.

I wonder what message is being sent out to the public concerning this switch? :eek: :confused:

Actually over thr fall all Walmarts will be getting "Communications Centers" and Dish Network will be featured. They are no longer selling equipment cash and carry.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually over thr fall all Walmarts will be getting "Communications Centers" and Dish Network will be featured. They are no longer selling equipment cash and carry.

Oh OK, I just happen to see only "D" equipment being featured and thought that was the end of "E" being sold there.

Thanks for the update Scott :)

E* actually provides the service for the Walmart TV station that is broadcast in all the stores on the TVs. This is a business service and ensures shelf space for E*

that explains it

I got dragged into a WalMart by the spouse last week and I spotted/purchased an RCA labeled 301 w/DP twin LNB & dish for $40.00 on clearance. I didn't need it but it doesn't hurt to have a spare receiver laying around.

belawrence said:
I got dragged into a WalMart by the spouse last week and I spotted/purchased an RCA labeled 301 w/DP twin LNB & dish for $40.00 on clearance. I didn't need it but it doesn't hurt to have a spare receiver laying around.

Yep, I saw similar closeout savings till they were all gone.

Local Wally World here is full of DirecTV stuff and High Def TV's, and nobody that has a clue how any of it works.

Noticed wal-marts computers in the Electroncs area have a D* screensaver. Didnt see any SAT equipment just the same ole crap!

OKAY, went to W* in hopes of buying some Discounted Dish stuf. Some old dude said the people in the photo lab handle Sat orders. So I decided to ask them. They said They have a computer they put my info in ad D* will bring the equipment out and install everything.

chastulsa said:
Noticed wal-marts computers in the Electroncs area have a D* screensaver. Didnt see any SAT equipment just the same ole crap!

OKAY, went to W* in hopes of buying some Discounted Dish stuf. Some old dude said the people in the photo lab handle Sat orders. So I decided to ask them. They said They have a computer they put my info in ad D* will bring the equipment out and install everything.

Did you ask them about "E"? Hope they know the difference.

Anyone else really confused here? Maybe I'm not reading this thread right but it looks like people keep switching between talking about Dish Network (E* = EchoStar) and DirecTV (D*).

Not a flame or anything, just could use some clarification.

TuxCoder said:
Anyone else really confused here? Maybe I'm not reading this thread right but it looks like people keep switching between talking about Dish Network (E* = EchoStar) and DirecTV (D*).

Not a flame or anything, just could use some clarification.

Yep I notice that too. but Just like you stated: Dish Network (E* = EchoStar) and (D* = DirecTV)

As you know Walmart had been selling "E" equipment, then they went into a clearance of all their "E" equipment. Now they are setting up a communication table according to Scott. I have seen the new setup for Cell phones but I only saw "D" (DirectTV) ordering stations with "D" advertisements. Scott stated that Walmart will also be selling "E" equipment also. So far I have not seen "E" advertisements in my local Walmart store, just "D"s.

Bulldog,
I think people use D* and E* because of Netiquette. Do you know how much longer these pages would take to load on a 1.5Mb broadband connection if everyone used the overly verbose "DirecTV" and "Echostar"?

Again WalMart will be adding Communications Ceters to its stores (some stores have got them added within the past few weeks) these communications centers will sell cell phones and satellite service. Dish Network will be sold in these communications centers.

However While Dish Network will be sold there you will not get your equipment from WalMart, instead a company will come install it for you. No more cash and carry. This is why they had a clearance on Dish Network equipment.

The communications centers will be staffed by "knowledgable" sales people. Lets hope these "knowledgeable people" will be SatelliteGuys Members. :D

The communication centers will probably be exactly like the one's that already exist in Walmart's Sam's Clubs stores. They're basically service selling retailers only, someone else will come out and install your stuff (which in most cases ironically are retailers themselves as well) I know at Sam's Club you can get activated for $29 versus the $49, so you save $20. But now retailers like claude can get you activated for $0...

EchoStar Launches Interactive Fantasy Football

Dish Networks starts on the wrong foot with me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)