VIP922 vs Tivo and Set up of TV2

PSU77

Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
I am a long time SD Tivo user with Directv. But I have lost confidence that a viable state of the art HD Tivo Directv product will ever be available.

Therefore, I am thinking of switching to Dish and I wanted to get input from any former Directv SD Tivo users as the whether the 922 compares favorably to Tivo. I have seen a lot of negative comments about the 622 and the 722 from former Tivo owners but not much from 922 owners.

Also I have a question on setting up a second TV for the 922. I know you need a coax line from the 922 to the other TV. I already have two coax lines going into the SD Tivo today. Can I disconnect the second coax line from the Sat dish outside and connect/join it to the coax line going into my second TV. The other side of this coax cable would be connected to the 922. This would eliminate the need to rewire a new coax line between the two TV's. I hope you understand what I attempting to do.

As a one time DirecTV sub that used a ReplayTV as opposed to a Tivo I did think the ReplayTV was better than the 625 I started with. But I grew to like the 625 pretty quickly. Then when I went HD with the 622 I liked it even better. Especially the record 2 while watching a recorded program (unless you have OTA then you can record 3 at a time). Guess I'm saying I got used to what I had to work with. Then I got the 922 last year. Now I can record 2 sat channels and 2 OTA channels while watching a recorded one. Or record 3 and watch 1 live. I'm happy with it.

As for the coax you only need one drop from the dish to the 922 so you can use the 2nd drop you have to feed the second TV. It will be SD though.

I do not have experience with the SD TiVos. I have series 3 and premiere. I also have a 622 and a 922. I would say that the 622/722 experience is very similar to the series 3 TiVo. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but I would rate them at the same level. I would also compare the premiere (in the HD display mode) as similar to the 922 experience. Both have a new interface that can be slow at times.

Anybody in Georgia notice tax added to bill

Dish Upgrade WHUP615 Can I do my own upgrade?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)