ViP722 Question/opinion

RichManitoba

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Madison, WI
I have 2 HD receivers in the house, one of which is a ViP722 DVR. Recently it has started to act up; DVR will freeze, I'll get a lost signal screen on a clear day, I have to reset it about 4 times a week. I called DISH and they will happily trade for a new one, except I have to pay the S & H :rant:. I asked the rep why I should have to pay for something I lease (I pay $14.00 per month for 2 receivers + $6.00 per month for the "service".), and he said that's the way it is. He did offer the $6 service plan which I reluctantly accepted...for now.

For signing up, it cost me nothing for S & H.

Is this usual & customary? Thanks!

PS, when the new DVR comes, the rep said it is basically "plug & play". Is this true or is there any tweaking that needs to be done?

I'm not sure about what is normal regarding the service plan sign up but I have had the service plan since I signed up. I don't normally go for extended warranties or service plans and prefer to own vs. lease, but after my second 722 I decided that the lease and service plan may be worth it. I'm on my fourth 722 now and when I got the third I also had the EHD function activated and connected an EHD. When the third one failed early this fall, with symptoms similar to yours, I was able to transfer everything on the DVR to the EHD so at least all of my content wasn't lost again. My luck with the 722's seems worse than most, but I still really like the 722.

There may be a few settings that need to be tweaked, like the tv format - aspect ratio maybe, but most of it is pretty straight forward. As I recall, the instructions that come with it are fairly easy to understand. You'll need to activate the 722 which can be done online or by phone. The web worked well for me.

Good luck.

When you get the new one, follow the instructions. If you skip the check switch and software download you'll have a problem.

Easiest way to do the swap is to put the new one on top of the old one and just swap cable from old to new, this way you can't mix up your cables, (you wouldn't believe how many service calls I go to for this reason). Then check switch (6, 1, 1), back to signal screen, download and activate. It also helps to check your settings like modulator channel (6, 1, 5) on your old receiver to make sure you get tv2 on the right channel on the new one. Keep in mind too that remote addresses for the new receiver are set to 1 by default, so if your remotes are set to a different address on your old one, and not working on your new one, you wil need to fix that as well.

Press Release: DISH Network Rolls Out 3D Movie Selections

Can you use the slingplayer app for Ipad/Iphone to access a 922?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)