VIP612 was *LOUD* this morning at 4am...normal?

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I've had a VIP612 in my bedroom for a couple of months. Last night at 4am (this is the time it is scheduled to get updates) it woke me up from the fan noise. It was really loud--the fan was really going at a high RPM. It sounded like a computer that was overheating.

I waited for a few minutes and hoped it would stop. It wouldn't respond to the remote. I then tried to reset it by holding down the power button on the front. That didn't seem to do it either. Either through me doing that or by itself it eventually calmed down and began working as normal.

I guess my question is this: is this normal? As far as I know it has never done this before--or at least it has never woken me up. Could there have been a software update last night? I looked and I'm on version L640. I don't know if that is a new one or not.

Anyway, just looking for some answers. Thanks in advance!

It doesn't look like a software update. I just looked it up and L640 has been around for awhile. I guess it was a normal guide update. But why so darn loud? I don't have it confined--it is not enclosed and is not stacked. I haven't moved the position since I got it in November and this is the first time (afaik) it has done this. Hopefully it will not become a normal occurrence because it woke both me and my wife up.

Why it woke you this time is hard to say, but if it did at the time it is set to be updated, it is normal for it to be loud, with the fan running high.

Fair enough. I can't imagine why I would have never heard the fan going like that before. Tell me something: does the receiver become unusable during the update? That seemed to be the case last night. The reason I ask is that I might want to change the update to during the daytime instead of the middle of the night. Of course, if it makes my programming go out for a few minutes that may not be a great idea.

I wonder why the fan kicks on so high. I'm surprised it takes that much processing OOMPH to download new guide info.

I have had it do both - not interrupt a program, and it has done so also. I record movies often overnight, so have mine in the bedroom set to update around the time I get up.

722 and 500 dish

Acquiring Satellite....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)