VIP 722 Update timer as sleep timer

James Lalicker

Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
We have recently upgraded to a VIP 722. My wife likes to fall asleep watching TV. With our old receiver i set the update timer for 1:00 AM and the receiver would go into standby until 6:00 AM when i had an autotune set. It was a great sleep timer/alarm clock. When the 722 goes to UPDATE it seems to briefly (30 SECS or so) shut the receiver off. This wakes us up with 30 seconds of loud white noise. Is there a way to avoid this. As i stated our previous receiver did not do this.

Hey James and:welcome to the forums!

All equipment makes noise as it works, though some is louder than others. Try a Hard Drive Spin Down for me. When you have the time, unplug the receiver from the power outlet and leave it unplugged for 45 mins to an hour and plug it back in. Have it update and see if it got quieter. I believe it's safe to say your receiver is in the same position etc as your previous one? Also what was your previous receiver?

Thanks for your quick response. This is like the antenna gets unplugged. there is total signal loss for about 30 secs then the standby screen comes back. No searching for Sat's just signal loss then standby screen comes on.

A few months ago Dish changed the reboot process to run the fans on high for only a couple of seconds instead of 30 or so.
There should be no sound sent to the TV during the reboot nor following unless the TV is run from the RF signal output.
Using the Red+White Composite should give little or no sound until tuned. Then the problem is the TV.
-Ken

Sounds like you have one of those old TV's with no RCA Jacks.. And watching the TV Via the actual Tuner. That is the only way I know of to get the old white noise when the receiver shuts down for the update. IF that is the case nothing is going to fix it short of a new TV.. If not then someone has hooked it up wrong.

This happens when watching on TV 2 via coax and the receiver reboots. Not much you can do except use the TV's sleep function to shut the TV off before the reboot. It's woken me up a number of times if I forget to set the TV sleep timer. Luckily my newer LG LCD has the ability to shut off at a specific time every day, so I just set that for 10 minutes before the update/reboot timer. Problem solved :)

Is PPV site having problems

Dish Whole Home DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)