Video Game Deals

Last edited:
Xbox One Live Gold has Tembo the Bad Ass Elephant on sale for $9.74 It is a side scroller of the shoot/stomp/soak variety and is a lot of fun.

Target has an upcoming buy two get one free promotion on all video games. Maybe I'll use this to get Fallout 4, Black Ops III, and Halo 5. I would prefer to switch in Star Wars Battlefront instead of Halo 5 but it doesn't come out until a couple days after this promo ends.

This week's Deals with Gold have been announced:

http://majornelson.com/2015/11/03/this-weeks-deals-with-gold-and-spotlight-sale-27/

I'd argue that Catherine for $5 is a pretty damn good. The game is a puzzle/strategy game that's wrapped around by a very interesting and fun story (assuming you like/can tolerate Japanese Anime tropes.) If so, you could do a hell of a lot worse for $5.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/Product...d7?DownloadType=Game#LiveZone?cid=majornelson

Wow. For some reason I thought Catherine was a PS3 exclusive. That's probably due to the fact that their aren't many Japanese games on 360. I thought you had some weird copy/paste error from when we were talking about this game being on sale for PS3 a couple weeks ago until I actually clicked the link.

I would absolutely buy it at that price if I knew for sure that it would have backwards compatibility support. Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't announcing their list of the 100 games that will be part of the backwards compatibility program from day one until next week.

I don't understand why they are being so secretive about this list. This is at least the second time I have passed on a 360 game on sale since backwards compatibility has been announced purely because I didn't know if it would be supported for the game in question or not.

It seems like just getting the list out there would be beneficial for everyone involved. The publisher sells more copies of featured 360 games, Microsoft gets a cut of those sales, and the consumer knows that they will be able to play the game on their Xbox One when backwards compatibility finally hits. I can't even really find the downside to announcing all the games that are locked down for support as soon as possible. More games can always be added to the list later if they get the okay from the publisher so why wait?

Well they do have separate box art..

latest

latest

I think I may snatch the deal (no pun intended). I have a feeling that this will be BC, and even if it doesn't I still got my old school 360 still hanging on.

Well they do have separate box art..

latest

latest

I think I may snatch the deal (no pun intended). I have a feeling that this will be BC, and even if it doesn't I still got my old school 360 still hanging on.

The box art for both of those versions is pretty terrible. I can't say I would be all that comfortable displaying either of them on my bookshelf. Just another reason for me to go digital for this game.

I thought about buying it anyways too because $5 isn't a major loss but I don't have my 360 around anymore. It will likely be added to BC at some point even if it isn't on day one but if it's not added I would be buying something I will never be able to play.

Honestly $20 is a good price for the game too, but yeah never knowing if you'll be able to use a game is a pretty good deterrent.

Honestly $20 is a good price for the game too, but yeah never knowing if you'll be able to use a game is a pretty good deterrent.

Well, I just read the article on IGN again and it looks like the list will be announced on Monday. That's one day before this sale is supposed to end so I guess I will have a chance to look it over before the Catherine deal expires.

I still wish I would have known for sure about Red Dead Redemption when it was on sale though. That has been one of the biggest holes in my gaming history for a long time and my last chance to play it is Xbox One backwards compatibility since there is no PC version.

I'd hate to pay full MSRP for a game that old but if it's on the list next Monday there is a good chance I will grab RDR GOTY Edition for $30.

NewEgg's Black November sale on video games starts tomorrow (Nov 4)

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/2/9659836/newegg-black-november-2015

For some reason, I don't think of NewEgg for games, though I've bought some bigger ticket items from them and they offer incredible customer service. The laptop I ordered from them this summer arrived in one day even through I selected the "up to 10 business days" free shipping option. And then when I wanted to return a router I ordered and decided I didn't need after all, they waived restocking and return shipping fees for me. Ever since Amazon started charging CA state residents sales tax, I have no reason not to make NewEgg my go-to online retailer since their prices are usually comparable, though their selection is a bit smaller.

Microsoft changing XBox Live Gold plan

ps4 Question