Very Mux Confused

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm very confused. Lyngsat seems to list a lot of KU FTA on AMC 3 that I can't get. There's a group of Florida stations in a Florida mux. Are these transmitted in some sort of spot beam? I was thinking that there were only around eight channels available, mostly PBS.
Maybe I'm so confused that I'm completely off base.

Thanks.
http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

They are Digicipher you can only get the Cream Colored ones the are DVB. Unless you have a 4DTV or professional DigiCipher receiver.

Sorry

Wholeshoe

You must look at the Encryption type on Lyngsat. You can probably only get the DVB Cream Colored Cells unless you have a Digicipher Receiver. Digicipher is a encryption type.

Wholeshoe

Wholeshoe said:
They are Digicipher you can only get the Cream Colored ones the are DVB. Unless you have a 4DTV or professional DigiCipher receiver.
Sorry
Wholeshoe
Thank you. I see that now. (Now that you pointed it out, that is.) The ones that I thought were part of the Mux are actually below it (Like the Florida Education Channel.) Shouldn't I be able to get these?

No in short. Usually the first line on a TP on lyngsat is the encryption tupe with the symbol rate and the FEC. The items listed below that line on that same transponder are whats in the Mux.

If there is only 1 channel in the mux it is all on one line.

There are Digicipher clear programming out there, that is why you see it as cream colored. The cream color simply means digital clear whether it be DVB or Digicipher. If you look through the C-Band charts you will find Digicipher muxs that have a combination of Digital Encrypted and Digital clear programming. Either way it is still a digicipher signal and you need a digicipher capable receiver to receive it.

Other encryption formats like PowerVu are DVB based so clear channels on those mux's are able to be received. Have a look at the KU on IA5 under GlobeCast to see a mix of encryped and FTA programming on the same mux.

Wholeshoe

Wholeshoe.

I understand now. I always assumed that if there was a "F" in the video encryption column, I would be able to pick it up as FTA. I can see now the "F" seems to follow the last listed encryption type. It seems like there's a lot of Digiciper FTA encryption on AMC 3. I guess that I'm out of luck in getting these with a Fortec Classic NA.
Thanks for your help.

123tim, these are free channels, but not DVB. So no DVB receiver would be able to get them. Just before Katrina, I had started a project (which I've never finished and must re-start now) to get FTA DCII (Digicipher II). I purchased a professional broadcast receiver (the same model used by TV stations in sat trucks) which will receive these in-the-clear Digicipher II channels. It got packed away when we were getting out of New Orleans, and it's still stored away. It's never been used. Your post reminded me that I have to get back to that project :)

Link to the original thread about commercial DCII receivers I started before Katrina changed everything...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=36392

Last edited:
Tron,
Wow, You've had a busy year! Sounds like this year will be no different. (Minus Katrina of course. :) ) I'd be really interested to hear how you make out with those receivers. I've been reading about digiciper since starting this post. I certainly have a lot to learn.
Good Luck!
Tim

123tim, I am hoping to get that project back up and running very soon. I also have to install a Toroidal T-90 as soon as I can locate a third non-pen roof mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

A Sad Story.. With a Happy Ending

Anyway to predict signal strength?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)