Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Now I havent had C-Band until this spring so I got to see how rain fade affects (or should I say, doesn't affect) the signal this summer. I noticed it would drop a little bit but stay going the whole time

Well today I really got to see the signal power of C-Band. Put the C-Band dish out around noon and aimed it at G3 and then G4. It was raining at the time. Then it turned to heavy wet snow

and it snowed
and snowed
and snowed

I went out around 3:00 and there was 3+ inches on the dish reflector itself. Signal stayed the same (77-79)

Just went out after the football games got over to bring it in and there was 6+ inches on the dish. The signal went "down" to 70. This is with the dish at 38 degrees.

KU band went down drastically (had to wipe the T90 off) to bring the signal back up.

I am VERY impressed. I thought once snow was on the dish the signal would go kaput. This is not the case :)

When I was getting the bulk of my programming from C-Band I think I had to get the broom and sweep snow off my 10' once...

Yep I think mine was a ice problem once, and mine was 10' as well. It didn't kill signal at all just lowered it, nothing some heat couldn't cure.

Iceberg, is that a 6 foot solid C-Band dish you have?

yep. The Fortec 6 footer that Sadoun sells

works really good. Gets most of the channels I want. Only issue is you have to ghetto (hand) move the dish. I use to have it on my north deck so I could only get AMC3-AnikF1 but I wheel it ouot in front of the garage (opposite side of house) and overshoot the townhouse across the driveway and get more :)

ARGH; ghetto move! Brr up there I bet.

nah...30 right now but we got 6-8 inches of snow today (rained all yesterday and this morning).

I was pretty happy today. Brought dish out of garage, aimed where I thought G3 was. Hooked up cable to reciever and TV on back of tailgate and tuned in G3 in...oh....4 seconds :)

Took me loger to hook up the cable

can you set it up with an arm to move it?

I'd need to modify the frame. Only issue is when I have it on my deck, its as far back on the deck as it can be to overshoot the roof. An actuator would hit the deck railing.

Plus from AMC3 to AnikF1 the elevation is maybe 2 degrees between all of them (IA6 is my TS)

6' C-band digital?

I really hope one of the members will review something like that 180cm solid dish, with the available motor and Vbox (not a jackscrew).

I'd like to read some no-holds barred discussion of the two (?) available low-cost C-band LNBs.
Let's compare both, along with whatever the old timers recommend.
The reports (or biases) of a number of parties, leaves me confused as to their performance.

Maybe Ice can rig something up his with a garage-door-opener, to roll out on command and lock onto studs/pylons/depressions in his driveway... ;)

Thanks WTP, I didn't know they made one for that size dish. I'm kind of old school when it comes to c band, if it ain't 10 foot or bigger then it ain't a dish. No offence, that's just the way I am.

cable are you saying size matters? LOL!

My wife says she married me for my big 10' .... Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks WTP, I didn't know they made one for that size dish. I'm kind of old school when it comes to c band, if it ain't 10 foot or bigger then it ain't a dish. No offence, that's just the way I am.

I am hoping someone will try out this new motor with the six footer so we can see the results. I am also thinking about moving to a 8 or 10 footer and using the six for KU. I bet that setup with the Invacom LNB would yeild a decent signal!

C band

I have had my 10 Ft mesh system for 15 or so years and rain and bad weather have never affected my signal.(I am in Texas and have no snow) The only problem I have is with a very high wind.(signal might fade at times,but If you have a good tight system its never more than a few seconds) I love it and will probably cry if it ever goes away. My son has one of the other dish networks and he pays the very near the same as I do but he doesnt get the quality of picture or number of stations.(he doesnt get HBO, Stars, or Showtime which I get, plus he cant choose his stations as he can only get what they offer.
Long live C band. I get all the KU band channels perfect also FTA.
John

welcome to the joys of C-band BUD. The only time my signal is reduced here in Colorado is when the snow gets heavy enough a to start sloughing off and I lose the dish symmetry due to uneven snow layer.
Dale

The only time i have lost signal on my 10'er was when there was about 10+ inches of wet heavy snow on the dish. That much weight affected the dish elevation ( i believe).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

91,433 and dropping.....

to switch or not to switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)