Va. Lawmakers Strike Tentative Deal on Telcos Tapping TVs

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - The cable and telecom lobbies couldn't compromise on opposing bills addressing the phone companies' efforts to tap into Virginia's television market. So lawmakers did it for them.

Under a compromise measure drawn up Tuesday by lawmakers, Verizon Communications Inc. and other telecoms would get faster access into a business now dominated by cable firms. But unlike the Verizon bill, the compromise would force new television entrants to expand their networks to certain levels in local franchise areas, responding to concerns that telcos might cherry-pick markets based on their affluence.

Cable companies had lobbied against the Verizon bill, introduced by Del. Terry Kilgore. The cable industry worried it would lower the bar for Verizon's entry into television while leaving them locked in old franchise agreements granted by localities. Several communities complained about their weakened authority.

Kilgore and House Majority Leader H. Morgan Griffith worked with both industries and help hammer out the compromise late Tuesday.

"I think we have peace in the valley right now," said Kilgore, R-Scott.

With similar debates taking place in other statehouses, "an agreement here may very well serve as a model for other states dealing with this issue," said Griffith, R-Salem, who had introduced the cable-backed bill.

The compromise language was being drafted Wednesday and was not yet available. Among some of its key features, according to the legislators' offices:
- It would force new entrants like Verizon to offer TV services to 65 percent of eligible residents in their franchise areas within seven years. After that, localities could force new entrants to hit 80 percent in 10 years.
- New entrants could get into markets within 75 days under the proposed state framework. Verizon and others had complained about the time it took to go from locality to locality, negotiating separate deals.
- New TV rivals could negotiate better deals with localities, but localities would be compelled to offer cable companies the same terms as the newcomers.

Neither side got all of what it wanted. The cable industry, for example, had asked that all new entrants be forced to offer services under old cable-franchise rules if they couldn't complete negotiations with local governments within 120 days. That won't happen.

Verizon had hoped for one giant shortcut around local franchise rules. The compromise does not eliminate local authority to determine how extensively TV entrants build their networks. But it does provide them with a state framework for the new expansions, and it does force local governments to speed up the approval process.

The Verizon bill did not eliminate franchise fees, local control over rights of way or regulatory authority over quality of service; and the compromise bill won't either.

"I think there are good points and bad points," Ray LaMura, president of the Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association, said of the compromise.

Robert Woltz, president of Verizon Virginia, said the new bill still promises faster entry into markets for the new TV competitors, and will results in lower prices. Cable prices have steadily risen, prompting customer complaints.

New York-based Verizon and other telcos have argued that local franchise rules have proven to be barriers to competition, allowing cable companies to dominate. They've also noted that cable companies entered the phone business without being hampered by local regulations.

So...What does this legislation mean for us in Stafford, VA. We know that the Board in Stafford was waiting on this legislation. How long will it take to roll out FIOS tv now compared to without the legislation?

Regarding Stafford County...Verizon has a finite amount of resources (labor & money) in which to negotiate cable franchise agreements and build-out the physical infrastructure: central offices, switching stations, fiber networks and, finally, fiber to the premise (FTTP).

I wouldn't get too excited until you hear something from your local franchise authority. Assuming this legislation is enacted and Stafford County were to award Verizon a franchise agreement within 75 days of filing. The only hard and fast requirement for Verizon to meet in order to comply with Commonwealth's proposed law is for them to build-out to 65% of county residents within 7 years and to build-out 80% of the county within 10 years. Because of the huge cost involved with implementing FTTP, I will assume Verizon will focus on building-out the most heavily populated parts of the County, and then build outward in hub and spoke fashion.

This is great news if you live in a densely populated section of the County. However, a fair amount of Stafford County is still considered to be in the sticks (areas West and South of I-95). Some people could get FiOS in a 6 months, while others wait 6 years.

Spotsylvania is in a similar situation. In my case, I am located 2.5 miles south of Route 3, 2.5 miles west of I-95 and, more importantly, 2 1/4 miles from my Verizon switching station. I have three (3) stupid Super Wal-Mart stores within 7 miles of my home...yet, I can't even get DSL (I've been on Verizon's DSL waiting list for over five (5) years and stuck with Adelphia for my broadband needs). While I'm certain that Spotsylvania will award a franchise agreement to Verizon in the next few months (they have been discussing an agreement for almost 14 months), I have little doubt that FiOS TV is still another 18-24 months away, at best. Why? Although I don't consider myself to be "off the beaten track", I'm certainly a few miles from Verizon's backbone infrastructure (the I-95 corridor). Plus, although I live in a nice neighborhood the fact of the matter is the lots in our subdivision are 2-5 acres in size. Why in the heck would Verizon pass my neighborhood when there are plenty of other nice neighborhoods with cookie cutter lots (1/4 to 1/2 acres)?

Sorry I can't give you a good answer; only Verizon and your local cable authority can provide you with this information...and both parties are winging it to a large extent. Anyway, here is some good information on how Stafford County will probably be built-out once a video franchise agreement in reached (read the Section III on Verizon):

http://www.spotsylvania.va.us/DownloadFiles/Minutes/cab/02102005.pdf

Thanks for the info...I just moved to Stafford 7 months ago off route 17 into a new neighborhood and all lots are 3+ acres but I do have DSL and they did lay fiber...so the verizon tech told me... I will just have to wait and see. Thanks again

Mediacom Slow Speed Internet !

What should I do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)