Using an active 811 to get Canadian Express VU??

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
I currently have an 811 set up with Dish Net. Because the 811 is EXACTLY the same as Express Vu (Canadian sat provider) I was wondering... if I point my dish to the Evu birds, call up my canadian broker to set up an Evu account with them for Evu, giving them my receiver info, will it work? Or does my receiver has some internal "smart card" that will make it only respond to Dish signal for signal reception? And, if so, is there any way I could reset the receiver so it "thinks" that it is brand new and then accept Evu activation signal?? Any other thougths or ideas???

Thanks!

FSilva

Express Vu will not activate a E* receiver.....Period. The rest of your question would involve "hacking" the receiver and that kind of discussion is not allowed here. If you want Express Vu you need to buy an Express Vu receiver and activate it through your broker.

NightRyder

No, that will not work for several reasons.

Your only option is to get an EVu 6100.

n0qcu said:
No, that will not work for several reasons.

Your only option is to get an EVu 6100.
Ok then. I was just wondering if, after I'm done with my Dish contract if I could use it with any other system.

Thanks for the reply!

F

NightRyder said:
Express Vu will not activate a E* receiver.....Period. The rest of your question would involve "hacking" the receiver and that kind of discussion is not allowed here. If you want Express Vu you need to buy an Express Vu receiver and activate it through your broker.

NightRyder
Actually, after reading your post again some further comments. I wasn't asking anybody for way to "hack" the receiver. Because the receiver is MINE and due to its similarity (actually I think it's the same, but just named differently) I just wanted to know it would work with Evu. So, if I can't swith between companies, that means that even though the hardware is the same, the softwares are different from Dish and Evu?

F

The only technical difference between a Dish and Evu receiver is the receiver and smartcard numbers, and of course the software that's downloaded into it. Each provider will only activate the boxes that have their numbers.

I think I have read somewhere in the past that if you point an E* box at the Evu satellite, it will get a Evu software download but since it still has the same R00 and S00 numbers, Evu won't activate it. And since it now has Evu software, when you point it back at E* it is unusable. I don't know how true this is, don't currently have any hardware I want to sacrifice to find out.

If your Dish contract is DHA, then they will expect the equipment back when you cancel. If it's just a programming contract and you actually own the box you can probably find plenty of people wanting to buy it.

Both Evu and Dish now have their software setup so that pointing at the other service will NOT download the others software. I wont say why.

Also the software is setup so it will not get a signal lock on the "wrong" provider.

Too bad the Evu boxes cost so much more than their US counterparts. They want CDN$399 for a 6120 (811) or CDN$599 for a 5220 (522). You can get a 522 on ebay for < US$200 but I haven't seen any 5220s.

Pepper, (and anyone else)
The actual receiver models are 6100 or 5200 - the last two digits when they are 20 instead of 00 on the box means it is a system (with the dish)

Smith said:
Kevin - wow ! 12 receivers in your house !

I've heard only "virgin" receiver could get Dish or EVu software.

not anymore...The software upgrades take care of this issue.

But like most people have said, you CANNOT activate a Dish receiver on ExpressVu...period :)

Fgsilva said:
Actually, after reading your post again some further comments. I wasn't asking anybody for way to "hack" the receiver. Because the receiver is MINE and due to its similarity (actually I think it's the same, but just named differently) I just wanted to know it would work with Evu. So, if I can't swith between companies, that means that even though the hardware is the same, the softwares are different from Dish and Evu?

F

F:

I was not trying to make any accusations but your question "is there any way I could reset the receiver so it "thinks" that it is brand new and then accept Evu activation signal?"
involves hacking the receiver. Whether it's YOUR'S or not is irrelevant. Anyway, if I offended please accept my apology.

NightRyder

Smith said:
Kevin - wow ! 12 receivers in your house !

I've heard only "virgin" receiver could get Dish or EVu software.
Actually two houses & two accounts (but that number does not include my two EVu receivers.)

NightRyder said:
F:

I was not trying to make any accusations but your question "is there any way I could reset the receiver so it "thinks" that it is brand new and then accept Evu activation signal?"
involves hacking the receiver. Whether it's YOUR'S or not is irrelevant. Anyway, if I offended please accept my apology.

NightRyder

No worries guy. You're right. :eek: The way I wrote it, it almost sounded like hacking! :eek: So, my apologies back at ya for over reacting! :D

Francisco

Does New 921 Come with 2 Remotes?

Suppressing the banner on a 301?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)