Using a DVR

jonathoncasey

Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Would it be cheaper to purchase a DVR from a store or get one from Dish Network? When I mean buying a dvr at the store, I don't mean tivo or one of those subscription dvrs. Also, will slingbox allow me to record to my pc?

It would be far simpler to use a Dish DVR. Otherwise, you will have to coordinate timers and suffer loss of PQ. The "store bought" DVR would have to be plugged in to the Dish Receiver. You might save a few bucks, but would likely regret it.

it depends on what you want to do with that DVR

I have a stand alone DVD recorder/Hard drive. I can edit out the commercials and burn to a DVD without having to copy it first :)

And I can use one HDD for my Dish subscription and another input

yeah, you need to figure out what you want to be able to do with it...

if burning it to dvd is important, get a DVD recorder with a hard drive,

if transfering it to a portable player or pc is important, then you will need to look at other brands, i know there are others but the TIVO is the only one i have personally used to do that....

or if you are just wanting the thing to record your shows so you can come home and watch them, i'd go with the Dish DVR... as mentioned above, less confusing, and easier to use.

case in point, i have a TIVO hooked up to my 625 and occasionally when i have something setup to record... i get home and just have a recording of the floating dish network logo, that wouldnt happen on the 625...

just some thoughts

CW in HD?

Programming question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts