Use of DP34 switch

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
Hi folks. I need help once again for a venture I plan on making in the next week or so.

I have a Dish Pro Quad Lnb. All 4 cables run to a central point under my duplex. there i have the usual 4 grounding blocks (grounded of course) and I have a DP34 switch on feeds 1 and 2. 2 of the ouputs go to my living room, 3 to my office and 1 to the bedroom.

I am going to get rid of my 721 in the office so those feeds will no longer be in use and therefore I can remove the DP34 from its current position.

however I am going to be getting a HDTV and 811 as soon as I can.
I will have a 522 and a 811 in my living room when this is all done. so I will need 3 feeds going in there.

Note: I know I could go but a DPP44 and a seperator and combine 2 feeds to one for the 522 I just dont want to spend all taht money if my idea works.

Ok Where the 2 cables come up in the living room I would like to try and add my DP34 right there onto those feeds (they are about 70 feet from the dish and maybe 50 from the grounding blocks). this would essentially give me 4 feeds in my living room but I would only use 3.

So experts:
Will this work?
If it is iffy wat are the side effects or possible problems?

Note2: I dont want to run anotehr feed to the living room due to the amount of wires I have coming from the floor there now (2 Ethernet, 1 phone, 1 RG59 Coax, 2 RG6UQuadshield) that and the fact that my landlord would shoot me.

I do realize that if they ever move HD to another sat like 105 Ill have to get a super and this wont work. If that happens Ill do the DPP44 but hopefully it wont.

wow I kinda figured someone would have answered before now. is it confusing?. i can explain it better and perhaps draw it out in paint if anyone needs

It sounds like you just want to take 2 feeds from the Quad into the living room, and put the DP34 there, and you're still under 100 feet to the dish. No problem. Watch the heat factor.

What I'm curious about is why you would think this would NOT work?

SimpleSimon said:
It sounds like you just want to take 2 feeds from the Quad into the living room, and put the DP34 there, and you're still under 100 feet to the dish. No problem. Watch the heat factor.

What I'm curious about is why you would think this would NOT work?

Most DP34 installations Ive seen are within about 15 feet of the dish... thats why i was wondering if it would work... heck on most superdishes Ive seen it was within 2 feet.

As for heat... waht can I expect... It is in my crawlspace now and doesnt seem to be too hot but its next to a vent. if I bring it inside what should I set it on and distances from things that it could heat up?

I jsut dont want to cause a fire.... and my living room is carpet if that was a question to be asked

Ah - good thinking, but not a problem. I seem to remember a legacy issue where switch distance from LNBF + distance to receiver was different than the no switch total. I have NOT seen anything like that for DishPro.

Anyway - heat - the box is designed to dissipate heat through the case, just make sure it can be happy. Lying it on a carpet is a sure way to make it sad. ;)

I have 1/2" boards lying at the strategic places behind my cabinet and TV. Power strips, UPS, etc. are placed on them.

ShadowEKU said:
Most DP34 installations Ive seen are within about 15 feet of the dish... thats why i was wondering if it would work... heck on most superdishes Ive seen it was within 2 feet.

As for heat... waht can I expect... It is in my crawlspace now and doesnt seem to be too hot but its next to a vent. if I bring it inside what should I set it on and distances from things that it could heat up?

I jsut dont want to cause a fire.... and my living room is carpet if that was a question to be asked

I have 2 DP34's inline on my 500 DualLNB and they are 40 feet from the dish and work just fine. So you should have no problem.

They also don't get hot for me. They are slightly above room temp, but they won't keep my coffee warm if I put my cup on it.

You could also just leave the 34 where it is and buy a second one (just incase you need the existing one where it is down the road). Just put the second one where you want it in the house and take the two lines feeding the 522 off the current 34 switch OUT ports and move them to the extra pass-through ports (1 and 2) on the right side of the 34 - thats what those ports are for, adding extra 34's.

farmsatguy said:
You could also just leave the 34 where it is and buy a second one (just incase you need the existing one where it is down the road). Just put the second one where you want it in the house and take the two lines feeding the 522 off the current 34 switch OUT ports and move them to the extra pass-through ports (1 and 2) on the right side of the 34 - thats what those ports are for, adding extra 34's.

I thought of that as a pssibility.. .but I would have to buy another switch... without another switch this way will work fine... and if I ever need to look at 3 sats I would have to make that extra run anyway

hard reset

Programable Remote Help/Cinemar Products?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)