US satellite TV in Mexico?

txstob

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Mazatlan, MX
I am moving to Mazatlan, Mexico in 30 days. It is very important to me to get US stations. I am willing to pay subscription fees or use free satellite sources, I just want to access as much as I can. I have never used satellite TV in the states. Any information will be much appreciated.

For some free stuff that's out there (may not be much you're interested in), come over to the Free-To-Air forum. However, as a former resident of Mexico, I can tell you that many local cable companies (and Sky satellite - Mexico's pay satellite service) have some of the American shows and movies (often subtitled, not dubbed in Spanish). There's even the exclusive "American network" that broadcasts all English programming (the daily CBS morning and nightly news, and syndicated programs like Jeopardy, Friends, Rachael Ray, and Judge Judy).

If you're getting Internet, see if the cable company offers a combo high speed and TV package. I paid maybe 60 a month for this, and thought it was well worth it (although I was on the Gulf coast).

Last edited:
Sorry, I just discovered American Network ended programming in late 2011 (I left in 2009, so didn't know that). However, I think with Internet (for Skype phone calls and for keeping up to date with the news with your local Texas TV news websites and radio stations) and a local cable provider for getting some of the premium programs you enjoy in the U.S., you'll not go wrong and come out with a great amount of savings. If interested in more, you might need a huge C-band dish (or at least 125 cm) to reliably get the major networks on 99W (rebroadcast from Puerto Rico, but usually the New York stations with local commercials).

Here is what I would probably recommend:

http://megacable.com.mx/paquetes.html

http://megacable.com.mx/tv_canales.html

5 Mb Internet + 145 channels = 579 pesos (just under $45/month).

If you don't need a landline, just get a cell phone. Telmex's Amigo pre-paid phones and cards worked well for me while living there :)

Last edited:

Considering switching to U-verse

New York Area RSN's (Regional Sports Networks)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)