Upgrading an old 3800 to a 3900 Please Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

w12plai

Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Dish 3800 Major Firmware Problem

Okay, Heres the deal. I have a Dish 3800 from years ago. I just switched back to Charlie from Dave. I also have a 2800. For some reason the 2800 has a newer interface that I am assuming is due to new firmware. It useses even and odd polarity and mentions superdish and other things. It works fine. The 3800 has been out of the stream for about 3 years. It still says dish 500 and even and odd transponders and not polarity. On the switch, everything works fine except there is a problem with 119 odd. Now I have brand new cable installed, an the 2800 works in both rooms, and the 3800 will work in neither. Also, I tried the 3800 at a friends house who has been up for months...same problem. This can only mean that the receiver is the problem and that perhaps a firmware upgrade is needed. Oh, did I mention that the signal is showing up strong on all transponders that it should between 119 and 110. The only problem is 119 odd is showing up wrong. Anyway, I have tried to upgrade the 3800 firmware by setting the receiver to get updates automatically without permission, and then turning it off. I left it ff for roughly 16 hours and turned it back on. Same thing, no update (yes signal is locked on both satellites). What am I doing wrong? Please advise. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Is there anyway I can force an upgrade or add it myself? Thank you.

I don't see you mentioning running a Check Switch anywhere, nor your LNBF and switch types.

Don't worry about the word "polarity". It's not relevant.

What do you mean by saying "119 odd is showing up wrong"?

Im sorry, everytime I run a check switch, it gives me an x by what should be 119 odd. 119 says even, and there is a 110 even, and a 110 odd. However there is a 119 even, but where it should say 119 odd I get two xs. The receiver keeps telling me to checki the connections. All connections have been tested over and over with the same results. LNBFs work fine because I tried a working receiver on both lines.

w12plai said:
Im sorry, everytime I run a check switch, it gives me an x by what should be 119 odd. 119 says even, and there is a 110 even, and a 110 odd. However there is a 119 even, but where it should say 119 odd I get two xs. The receiver keeps telling me to checki the connections. All connections have been tested over and over with the same results. LNBFs work fine because I tried a working receiver on both lines.
Call DISH Network Tech support. 3800's were upgraded to 3900 if your is not showing up as a 3900 upgraded the software is probably too old to upgrade. 3 Years is a lot of missed software upgrades. :)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

Do you have the Philips Magnavox 3800 or the JVC manufactured 3800. I had both, the JVC had arrived already at the 3900 firmware, the old Philips I never upgraded because at the time, what was it P230?, was junk. I traded my 3800's a little after for 301's.

If your having issues you can do an express exchange and upgrade them for a fee, which is smaller than buying a new one. If you go this route I'd recommend asking for 311's and not 301's.

Jason

I have a Dishnetwork 3800 model receiver that has been out of the stream 3 years. Since that time I went to Dave and back. It seems that in that time, DN has upgraded the model via firmware to 3900. I have set my receiver to download and receive updates automatically, and have left it off for hours, and still nothing. Is there a way to erase the firmware and tell it to grab 3900 firmware? Can I get 3900 firmware somewhere? Also, will this continue ot upgrade? Please let me know. Thank you. K.woolfolk@insightbb.com

The receiver needs to be subscribed to take the download. Call Dish Network...I'm sure they'd like to help you.

mikew said:
The receiver needs to be subscribed to take the download. Call Dish Network...I'm sure they'd like to help you.

I would call Dish Network support

However, the receievr doesn't need to be subscribed to take a download. I have a 301 that has taken 3 downloads and its out of the stream.

had a 3000 and 4000 that I upgraded to the newest software before I sold them

mikew said:
No actually it doesn't need to be sub'd, it just needs to see the PID stream from the E* sat...119

Jason

Looks like hes trying to hack his system as he posted a few times today that he fried his receiver when he dropped a paperclip on the main board while trying to do a "JunkYard Fix", I have forwarded his information over to Dish Network.

I guess some of these idiots don't understand that we work with Dish Network and DirecTV and do turn in pirates.

For this one I can say its not a legitimate question since the user is obviously trying to hack the system. Any legitimate customer would not have these issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Upgrading firmware problem. JY FIX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)