Universal Remote suggestion..FTA too!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
I think this may be more of a review and I really do not know where it belongs so.....I would like the C band forum to know also and anywhere else it is useful to(I do not crosspost)
I have had a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote that controlled my C Band Dish, Receiver, DVD etc. When I got the Viewsat Extreme, I was concerned that I would have to manually teach it all the Remote's commands...NOPE...it knew all about the Viewsat!! Apparently there are over 100,000 devices that are in the on line Harmony database!! Have an oddball...it learns very easily too!
Only ran into trouble on Christmas Sunday and Monday...guess the entire world got them as gifts, and the Harmony web site that is needed to program, correct, add, etc was HAMMERED! Finally got back in today at 6am.
The Harmony is easily programed over the net and macros are set up automatically. ie: I am watching 4DTV and want to go to FTA or whatever....1 button press for the activity and the 4DTV shuts off, Viewsat switches on, the TV switches inputs, the receiver switches inputs etc. Time to sleep...1 button press and everything goes off! This remote beats the *** out of the Pronto and probably everything else out there for simple but effective macro programing!!
ADDITION: when you finish setting up, and are disconnected, if there is a timing issue (ie: something does not react properly) you hit the help key and the remote does an internal adjustment...fabulous!
I cannot recommend these too much if you have remote clutter as I did. (I bought the color Harmony 880 (retails for $250)) there are cheaper models though and they all work pretty much the same. Just part of my recent buying binge!!! (no, I do not work for them!!)
Jeff

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
Only ran into trouble on Christmas Sunday and Monday...guess the entire world got them as gifts, and the Harmony web site that is needed to program, correct, add, etc was HAMMERED! Finally got back in today at 6am.
Jeff

I bought my 70 year old mother a Harmony 880 for christmas, along with a Sharp Aquos 32" LCD TV with a LG LST-3510A combo HD tuner and dvd player and once I got the the remote setup today
after two frustrating days of trying to get through the overloaded
website it works great. I love the help button for getting things in sync if you have a problem and my only real complaint is the limit of 16 favorites channels, I would like at least double that.
I highly recommend this remote for older people who may not be so
tech savvy and might get confused with multiple inputs on the TV and
trying to figure out what remote goes with what component.

I have my mothers remote setup with a standard def Direct TV reciever and the LG DVD/HDTV tuner and she can work everything with no problems and she has 16 of her favorite Direct TV channels with nice color channels icons to quickly find her favorite channels.

I recommend it for younger folks too!! <grin>

The only other thing is that some of the buttons are really small...Guess they had to do that to make the device so compact and ergonomically correct!

When you move it, all the buttons and color screen (880) light up everything...NICE touch at night!
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anyone having trouble viewing PBS on AMC3?

CaptiveWorks CW-600S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)