Universal Dish Mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Beautiful Day, looking at my Universal dish mount type II and thinking that this will not work on a slanted roof, wish I knew that beforehand, this mount is perfect for a wall or deck only, called Sadoun and some guy at customer service says yes I can use this mount on slanted roof.

Yeah !! maybe if I take a Hammer to it and bend the support arms into a different shape.

Universal Dish Mount Type I looks like it can handle the slanted roof because the support arms are adjustable.

Super Dish Mount also looks adjustable but more expensive much more.

Anyone care to jump in and save me, please do !

Customer service is clueless on this one , one minute while I go look at mount to see what you are talking about, oh sure you can put it on a slanted roof, wait why are you putting this on the roof, youre better off on a pole, too much wind on your roof, Its not the house roof its the back porch roof which gets shelter from the wind and has the best LOS to the satellites I want. This is what I told him and his answer was even if it doesnt look right it will work.

Any pictures and we can give you some suggestions?

You will probably need a longer mount to clear the roof. These systems need to be installed on a down sloping roof, and even then the pitch (angle of the roof) can be a problem.....

Jayelem,
I have the same mount. I don't see how this particular one could be used on anything but a horizontal or vertical surface. You might get the brackets to conform to the roof, but the main mast certainly doesn't seem like it would plumb and stable. I can always be proven wrong...I'd certainly be interested in seeing how this might work.
Sadoun is a member/sponsor and often replies to this forum. If you try to contact them, you might send him a message via PM. I prefer not to go through sales.
ps. I originally thought that this mast was incredibly flimsy. Time has proven me wrong. It's held up in some incredibly strong winds already.
Good luck.
Here is a link to the mount:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Dishes/Universal-Dish-Mount.htm

Last edited:
Yes the roof is a downslope at about 30 degrees, and I'm very optimistic at having a good LOS for Atlantic Sats, I believe I can get T12 - G10 + from this spot, Telstar 12 is iffy but still optimistic.

I have given thought to what you said about getting the pole plumb, don't really wanna keep putting holes in the roof for adjustments and I will take in consideration the weight of motor and dish if there is any pull forward.

I already have some contradiction at home telling me what to do, and they have no clue to the relation of AZ EL and our location (very frustrating) all this from a know it all that answers of course and everybody knows that.

I'm leaning towards that Super Dish D mount, Sadoun site says can be used for FTA Dish and pole diameter is within specs for Stab HH100, looks sturdy too.

jayelem

I read your delimma and understand exactly what your are talking about. UnivMount II is not a good choice for slanted roofs when you want to use it with a motorized system. UnivMount I is a better option, since you can adjust the side struts to make sure the pole is plumb. But make sure that dish will clear the roof when it rotates East/West.

Since you already have UnivMount II, you can just order the adjustable side struts that come with UnivMount I. If you decide on the Super Mount, please make sure you ask the sales person to ship you the one that has the adjustable struts collar. That way you can slide that collar up/down the post until you get the pole plumb.

If I can be of any further help, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Attachments

• superDmount-7.jpg
    superDmount-7.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 232
  • superDmount-6.jpg
    superDmount-6.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 206
  • superDmount-3.jpg
    superDmount-3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 204
Status
Please reply by conversation.

C-Band radio dish size

TheTube

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts